Project 6014 Demo 0.2.1 released!

Wish there was something new in the SC universe? Check out what fan based initiatives are going on.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

dczanik
Ilwrath spawn

Re: Project 6014 Demo 0.2.1 released!

Post by dczanik »

Zarnium wrote:I like the idea of focusing on the races with the most detailed, yet unfinished stories, like the Orz, Arilou, and Chmmr.
True. But there are fans who would like to see the stories of other characters. How many people would like to see the story of the Spathi continue? Great, but how? Besides, I think there's always room for good stories. If it's not good, ...meh. Don't bother.
Niffiwan wrote:
Death 999 wrote:Given their description, I would suspect it's the other way around - they're so emotionally open that seeing other Utwigs' faces was totally distracting, and only by covering up were they able to focus on getting things done.
Autism's been shown to be connected to hyperactive amygdalae; the amygdalae in the brain are responsible for emotional memory creation. So: autistic people are TOO sensitive to emotion, and find it much more distracting than normal people. Eye contact stimulates that and distracts autistic people from thinking clearly - just as it does to normal people, but to a much greater extent. That jibes pretty well with the Utwig, so far.

Their weirdly precise vocabulary and process-based society is another point. The Utwig seem to love nothing better than a complex bureaucracy - and yet, their complex system actually functions well.
Interesting ideas. We'll have to talk later. Never thought of the Utwig as something like the Vogons. If they start writing poetry....run. ;)
- Damon Czanik
Artist/Project Leader for Ur-Quan Masters HD and the SC2 Fan Sequel,Project 6014
My new portfolio site! and my DeviantArt!
Niffiwan
Silly Supox

Post by Niffiwan »

Death 999 wrote:The problem is, they WEREN'T that until they started using the masks.
Looking through the dialogue, there is very little discussion specifically about their history, but I think I may see what you're getting at. It does seem like the Utwig may be lacking a filter that would prevent their emotions from spilling out at socially inappropriate places - which is what the masks are for. If they didn't have those masks... think of the most socially-awkward, introverted, emotional, too-honest-for-his-own-good nerd you can (something like this guy...).

I guess the function of their masks is to "fixate" an emotional message, and any other emotion that may come through (through voice tone, etc.) is politely ignored and considered to not exist. No ambiguity for the Utwig.
dczanik wrote:Interesting ideas. We'll have to talk later. Never thought of the Utwig as something like the Vogons. If they start writing poetry....run. ;)
Sure, anytime. :) The Vogons are inefficient, though, and the Utwig are not. Vogons represent a huge, overbearing, incompetent bureaucracy that cares little about the details. Utwig represent a similarly overbearing, but very compact and dense bureaucracy that is very focused on little details. The Druuge (and the Vogons) are expansionist - but the Utwig turn that energy inward, to a somewhat dangerous extent. That's why their sphere of influence is so tiny, despite them being more advanced than most of the other races.
Member since March 14, 2003
Gilgajazz
ZEXy Beast

Post by Gilgajazz »

Just trying out your mod and I must say it looks mighty fine! I was wondering one thing though: would it be possible to play P6014 without HD graphics?

It's not that I don't like them or something (they look very neat tbh) it's just that I find the old pixel style in original UQM more alluring :3
dczanik
Ilwrath spawn

Post by dczanik »

Gilgajazz wrote:Just trying out your mod and I must say it looks mighty fine! I was wondering one thing though: would it be possible to play P6014 without HD graphics?

It's not that I don't like them or something (they look very neat tbh) it's just that I find the old pixel style in original UQM more alluring :3
Sure. We've got the old VGA version there as well. :)
- Damon Czanik
Artist/Project Leader for Ur-Quan Masters HD and the SC2 Fan Sequel,Project 6014
sakalava47
Orz *camper*

Post by sakalava47 »

dczanik,

Any update on Project 6014?
dczanik
Ilwrath spawn

Post by dczanik »

sakalava47 wrote:dczanik,

Yeah. We've got a new writer on the team (joined yesterday!). He's sent me giant walls of text with every e-mail of story ideas, suggestions, etc. He's probably already put several hours in the story already.

When the story is more complete, I'll have more info for you. Unfortunately, our programmer took a break, the lead writer has been focusing in on getting his degree, our other programmer has actual rocket science to do, and I've been feeling a little burned out working about 70 hours a week for my job. I can tell you, barring some miracle, there's no way we can release this year. We all have too much on our plates right now.

Our biggest issue is the story, and needing programmers.

Major Potential spoilers:
https://code.google.com/p/story-creatio ... iticalPath

Shows some of his ideas/work.
- Damon Czanik
sakalava47
Orz *camper*

Post by sakalava47 »

dczanik wrote:
sakalava47 wrote:dczanik,

Yeah. We've got a new writer on the team (joined yesterday!). He's sent me giant walls of text with every e-mail of story ideas, suggestions, etc. He's probably already put several hours in the story already.

When the story is more complete, I'll have more info for you. Unfortunately, our programmer took a break, the lead writer has been focusing in on getting his degree, our other programmer has actual rocket science to do, and I've been feeling a little burned out working about 70 hours a week for my job. I can tell you, barring some miracle, there's no way we can release this year. We all have too much on our plates right now.

Our biggest issue is the story, and needing programmers.

Major Potential spoilers:
https://code.google.com/p/story-creatio ... iticalPath

Shows some of his ideas/work.
Thanks for the update. I'm taking a basic programming class at the community college this fall. But I probably won't be good enough to be of much help to you for a while. Out of curiosity, what programming language is it written in?
dczanik
Ilwrath spawn

Post by dczanik »

sakalava47 wrote:Thanks for the update. I'm taking a basic programming class at the community college this fall. But I probably won't be good enough to be of much help to you for a while. Out of curiosity, what programming language is it written in?
Appreciate the desire, but you'll probably need to know your stuff. It's in C++. The UQM codebase is badly documented. Not an ideal project to start on :)

There's also a Gimp script we could use help with, if anybody has used that before.
- Damon Czanik
Death 999
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Death 999 »

The frustrating part for me is that the dialog system, in terms of lines of code written, is 96-99% done (literally. I suspect that adapting it to the existing system will require around 2 lines in the dialog file itself and 1 line pasted into a few setup files, but it could be as much as 10 lines). But getting those few lines right requires condensing a full understanding every little detail of UQM internal dialog data format and how dialogs are loaded, and THAT, my friends, is something else.

Maybe I can buckle down and figure it out. I have a partially annotated copy of the source around here somewhere...
AwakenedEyes
ZEXy Beast

Post by AwakenedEyes »

Death 999 wrote:The frustrating part for me is that the dialog system, in terms of lines of code written, is 96-99% done (literally. I suspect that adapting it to the existing system will require around 2 lines in the dialog file itself and 1 line pasted into a few setup files, but it could be as much as 10 lines). But getting those few lines right requires condensing a full understanding every little detail of UQM internal dialog data format and how dialogs are loaded, and THAT, my friends, is something else.

Maybe I can buckle down and figure it out. I have a partially annotated copy of the source around here somewhere...
You might have to seriously consider getting down to it :mrgreen:
Because the story team has kicked in high gear mode now.
Hopefully we will start with writing the conversations by January 2014.

Nico