Yet another SC-like game that may not go anywhere :)

Wish there was something new in the SC universe? Check out what fan based initiatives are going on.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

friken
Orz *camper*

Yet another SC-like game that may not go anywhere :)

Post by friken » Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:29 am

Ok... now that the subject is out of the way...

I've started working on a space game -- with sugar plumbs and spathi dancing in my head. I've created games for iOS and dialup BBSs games back in the day, but I've ALWAYS wanted to make a game along the lines of starflight, starcontrol, sundog, etc. This post won't be asking for volunteers etc. But I would like to share some prototype screenshots and links to a webplayer build of what I'm toying with. First... a couple screenshots:

I also invite anyone to load up the webplayer to see the engine. The player runs at 1600x900 so maximize your browser window:

http://gravityride.com/testbuilds/planet/

note: I know there are some issues with performance for some OSX machines. I would like to know what hardware/os for anyone getting <60fps.

So why may this project may not go anywhere... well the short of it is I'm worried it won't sell and will take too long to make :) The space game genre is nearly dead and the resources needed to make a starcontrol caliber game is many fold casual games that I can do with small team and limited resources. I'm actually playing with prototype stuff trying to think through a way to scale back what I want to do ( a starcontrol/starflight depth project) to something I can complete within a much smaller budget and timeframe.

Anyway...... project6014 team, please finish already because I'm dying to play it :) Anyone else working on a starcon like game... I'll be first in line to buy it -- and I hope the line is a long one :)

friken
Orz *camper*

Re: Yet another SC-like game that may not go anywhere :)

Post by friken » Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:36 am

orbit prototype:

and the webplayer:

http://gravityride.com/testbuilds/orbit/

I haven't it setup for a mid-high graphics card and a couple textures that are 4k. Lower memory video cards may struggle with it. mid-high end cards should peg 60fps limit of the webplayer. If it runs slow for you please, leave a comment w/ os,videocard,cpu,ram.

runonthespot
Arilou wiseguy

Post by runonthespot » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:48 am

Hooray for another Unity developer lost in space :)

Looking interesting so far. Welcome, and keep at it.
Mike Renwick
http://www.twitter.com/runonthespot
http://www.youtube.com/runonthespot
"You have made a good start and are to be commended. Now go finish the job." - Spathi High Council

Angelfish
Slylandro gasbags

Post by Angelfish » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:31 am

looks very nice thusfar, though it's a bit shakey at my work PC.
I'll give it another try at home.

PS: If you need help in converting the actual SC2 universe into your game, feel free to reply here :)

Quinarbre
Orz *camper*

Post by Quinarbre » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:55 am

Darn it gentleman, you're actually going to talk me into installing the damn unity plugin on my computer with stuff like that.

runonthespot
Arilou wiseguy

Post by runonthespot » Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:56 pm

Interesting- on my work PC, these get about 5fps but then I have the horrible reality of an i7 with a built in Intel graphics card :)

something to consider for your orbit paths- take a look at Vectrosity on the Unity asset store- it does fast line rendering, and lines are skinnable- it's about $10, and will do your planetary lines in 1 drawcall.
Mike Renwick
http://www.twitter.com/runonthespot
http://www.youtube.com/runonthespot
"You have made a good start and are to be commended. Now go finish the job." - Spathi High Council

dczanik
Ilwrath spawn

Post by dczanik » Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:04 pm

I get 60fps, but my system is kind of a monster system built for gaming. Though I hardly play any games since working on Project 6014.

This reminds me of one of my first 3D programming creations with OpenGL back in at UCLA. Of course, yours looks way better. Great work! I can't wait to see more.
- Damon Czanik
Artist/Project Leader for Ur-Quan Masters HD and the SC2 Fan Sequel,Project 6014
My new portfolio site! and my DeviantArt!

friken
Orz *camper*

Post by friken » Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:07 pm

runonthespot wrote:Interesting- on my work PC, these get about 5fps but then I have the horrible reality of an i7 with a built in Intel graphics card :)

something to consider for your orbit paths- take a look at Vectrosity on the Unity asset store- it does fast line rendering, and lines are skinnable- it's about $10, and will do your planetary lines in 1 drawcall.
Yeah, I haven't even thought to look at lower end video hardware and I'm doing a few very heavy things like fullscene glow, grain, and using 4k textures without mips. I'll play with cleaning it up... That said, gotta love Unity has features for higher end hardware.. my 5850 gets about 300-500fps on those demos w/ native exe in windows. I'll check in osx later today.

friken
Orz *camper*

Post by friken » Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:09 pm

dczanik wrote:I get 60fps, but my system is kind of a monster system built for gaming. Though I hardly play any games since working on Project 6014.

This reminds me of one of my first 3D programming creations with OpenGL back in at UCLA. Of course, yours looks way better. Great work! I can't wait to see more.
the unity webplayer is locked at 60fps... would guess you'd be getting several hundred fps with the desktop exe. BTW, project 6014 demo really rocks... I just wish it was done :) I want to play it! I love how well you guys have kept it true to the original.

friken
Orz *camper*

Post by friken » Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:46 pm

I'm trying to think of best way to display a mining/terrain popup. Two obvious options come to mind:

1. like the webplayer demo a few posts back, have fullscreen planet and then animate/popup a terrain over the planet either to fullscreen or majority of
2. Split the screen so planet is top 1/2 (or side) and terrain is below like this shot:

thoughts?