7 Deadly Sins: Kohr-Ah model thoughts

Wish there was something new in the SC universe? Check out what fan based initiatives are going on.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

gihren
Hunam adventurer

7 Deadly Sins: Kohr-Ah model thoughts

Post by gihren » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:12 pm

7 Deadly Sins is still progressing, I believe we're nearing a Beta release (we've had a long string of alphas for a while).

Of course the Star Control side has seen some progress as well. I'm running through and adding and changing designs as things progress.

The first image is the Star Control specifications for the Marauder. It's angular, cold, and effecient to match their makers.

Below that is a picture (which itself is a series of pictures) of a few of my models, some capitals. The small angular one is the Marauder. I looked at that and Tsing's model of it while making mine, and I think it works well for the classic.

The one next to that is a finalized ship with a non-finalized name. Note the weapons pod on the rear underside, sporting two forward blasters and an aft missile launcher (Hey, who said their only weapon were the shuriken?).

The final one furthest from the Marauder is another unnamed model, and it's not quite finished yet. I'm planning new weapons, further reshaping, and whatever else comes to mind. The pod that matches the middle one will NOT be there, a new version will be on it.

I am working to create new designs that will (hopefully) have a less direct line from the Marauder. However, if you look at the Hawker Hurricane, Tempest, and Typhoon (and the Spitfire, made my Supermarine, not Hawker), you'll notice they had very similar shapes. Same for the Wildcat, Hellcat, and Bearcat; and many other series aircraft. I'm trying to keep that idea with some of the ships, and then have another line that's very detached and more like another series altogether. My fighter and bomber are still somewhat angular, but don't have anything else distinctly based off the Marauder. Those pictures will likely come later.

Questions, comments, concerns, and ideas are welcome.

Scott Irving
Site Admin

Re: 7 Deadly Sins: Kohr-Ah model thoughts

Post by Scott Irving » Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:10 am

Looking pretty good to me, I like the designs, what program is that? and can I use the models when your done? (for the sc movie project? ive never gotten to making decent kohr-ah models)
Site Admin and General Techie person. Also I'm batman.

gihren
Hunam adventurer

Post by gihren » Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:08 am

Great to hear you like them, glad to have the support of a modeler and SC community member :P .

The program is anim8or. It's free, easy to learn, but not as powerful as some other programs (no mesh addition/subtraction, measurements, etc).

I'd be happy to share them with you. Since they're for a game, they're fairly low poly, so I imagine you'll be tweaking them a good bit to make them more movie quality. The textures will also be fairly simple, and I believe Danman has the textures for the middle one (working name "Consumer"). I've been very slow with modeling/texturing this semester, which is why I didn't do this one myself.

I haven't heard anything about a movie project? What are the plans for that? Who's in it, what do you need, and...make a thread with all the details.

Scott Irving
Site Admin

Post by Scott Irving » Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:36 am

LLLLLOOONG standing project lol, may never get done, have so many ideas but not the skill in writing and animating. Danman actually was going to try and help me with it to lol.
I have a brilliant idea for the intro and first scene of the movie and I even have some commercially produced music for it, but I have yet to actually make it.
I'm going to do the opening very much like the 300 intro (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPiK2vYGl94) but of course with SC ship battles and stuff. I'm really hoping to get this made soon so I can finally get some real video out and maybe get some interest in the project.
Site Admin and General Techie person. Also I'm batman.

Lukipela
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Lukipela » Mon May 03, 2010 6:28 pm

I’m confused. I thought there were already Kohr-Ah models in 7DS? At I thought I saw some earlier models in some older screenshots? Or are those the completely separate line you mentioned? Anyway, these look good. You’ve managed to keep the feeling and style of the Maraduer quite well in all those models. I wouldn’t worry too much about alternative weapon; the important thing is that they are fun to play with. But gigantic sharp projectile theme and FRIED shouldn’t be totally forsaken. :)

And XR is a project that Scott has been working on for a long time. It’d need modellers, scriptwriters and all sorts of talented people to progress.

gihren
Hunam adventurer

Post by gihren » Wed May 05, 2010 2:14 pm

You did see models before Luki. However, the game has slots for 9 frigates, 9 cruisers, 9 capital ships, and 4 fighters or bombers. This new series fleshes them out even more, and (I think) is a little more true to the original Kohr-Ah designs.

Even if we made too many, we'd be able to play the 'which has a better look and feel' game. I can still make 1 more Kohr-Ah capital without needing to remove one.

DANMAN3712
Hunam adventurer

Post by DANMAN3712 » Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:56 pm

Scott,

As I said before my friend, I would love to help you out with the XR Star Control Movie. I am sure Gihren would want in too. We can supply models, art, music, you name it. I am thinking about making clay models of the races, and we can use them for animation if you want to do this old school. We already have tons of content for the mods that we can share, many of which no one has seen yet. Just get the thing started man, and I'll help.

DANMAN