I know everything about Star Control

This is the place to talk about all things Star Control.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

chenjesummrnmhrm
Hunam adventurer

Re: I know everything about Star Control

Post by chenjesummrnmhrm »

If he knows "everything" about Star Control, we should ask him really tricky questions.

Roman, why does the bridge turn purple? And what did the Orz do to the Androsynth?
Quasispatial
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by Quasispatial »

The title of this topic could also be translated into "I found the Ultronomicon and now I'm going to use it to inpersonate a know-it-all." (Disclaimer: This may or may not be the case.)
"Sentient life. We are the Ur-Quan. Independence is intolerable. Blah, blah, blah." - the Spathi High Council, Star Control II.
Shiver
Arilou wiseguy

Post by Shiver »

I know everything about Star Control. Here are some FACTS about the game.

* The first ship you pilot when you start playing Star Control is called the "Spathi Eluder". To steal it, you have to find it while it's parked in the lot, walk by the driver's side door and press "X" (or Square if you're playing on the Playstation 2) to carjack it just like in Grand Theft Auto. Fans of Star Control have taken to calling the Spathi Eluder's original pilot Flubbo, but no such title exists for this no-name redshirt anywhere in the game's code.

* It's actually impossible to unlock all the achievements in Star Control due to a glitch with one of the achievements. It's called "Oops I dropped it", the one you would have gotten for losing control of all the stars just as you're about to win the game, then getting them back again in less than a week.

* The Slylandro Self-Destruct Code works on other enemies sometimes. Seriously, try sending it out next time you're cruising through VUXTOWNE.
Quasispatial
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by Quasispatial »

It's impossible to know EVERYTHING about pretty much any subject - there are and always will be undiscovered things and/or undiscovered -valid- interpretations of existing knowledge. As such, learning "everything", whilst possible in theory, is basically impossible in practice. Still, I won't dispute the fact that you seem to be very well informed about the goings-on of Star Control, beyond my level.
"Sentient life. We are the Ur-Quan. Independence is intolerable. Blah, blah, blah." - the Spathi High Council, Star Control II.
Nuclear
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by Nuclear »

Shiver wrote:I know everything about Star Control. Here are some FACTS about the game.

* The first ship you pilot when you start playing Star Control is called the "Spathi Eluder". To steal it, you have to find it while it's parked in the lot, walk by the driver's side door and press "X" (or Square if you're playing on the Playstation 2) to carjack it just like in Grand Theft Auto. Fans of Star Control have taken to calling the Spathi Eluder's original pilot Flubbo, but no such title exists for this no-name redshirt anywhere in the game's code.

* It's actually impossible to unlock all the achievements in Star Control due to a glitch with one of the achievements. It's called "Oops I dropped it", the one you would have gotten for losing control of all the stars just as you're about to win the game, then getting them back again in less than a week.

* The Slylandro Self-Destruct Code works on other enemies sometimes. Seriously, try sending it out next time you're cruising through VUXTOWNE.
* The Ilwrath cloaking device is not a hoax; it does exist and there are pointers still remaining in the source code as proof, though it is encrypted and would take a skilled hax0r to transduct. Any time a new game is started, there is a 5% chance it will be dropped on a random planet, but a grue will be spawned in its place if the chance fails. The grue can be sold to the Melnorme for 4 credits, but there is a very tiny chance they will reveal the secret of the purple bridge instead. This happened to me only once, but my Fraps license was expired at the time and my save game, screenshots, and brain got corrupted by cosmic background radiation, so I can't remember what it was.

* At the title screen, hold down the keys 's', 't', 'a', 'r', and 'ctrl' all at the same time, and then hit enter. A new game will start. When you talk to Commander Hayes for the first time, he'll request radioactive fuel as usual. You'll notice a new dialogue option that isn't normally there. Select it. Hayes will say "Pfutz was here", and then the dialogue will end. A very fast ship, slightly faster than a Slylandro probe, will spawn in hyperspace at a random location on January 24th, 2157. If you encounter it, communicate. It's the Black Spathi Squadron, and they will offer to join you. Note that this secret will not work in "The Ur-Quan Masters", it will only work on the original floppy disk versions of the game. Fred Ford has confirmed in an IRC chat that only the first 3000 copies of the game have this code included.

* After starting a new game, rename yourself to "Captain Hollywood". You must then beat the entire game without visiting the Earth starbase; this is possible, and there are various guides on the internet to instruct you how. As soon as the endgame cinematic appears, count to 10 and immediately cancel out of the cutscene. A message will inform you that Talana has been unlocked as a playable character. If the message does not appear, you must have messed up or encountered a glitch at one point, which is common. You must delete your save game and start again.

* In Quasispace, there is a 0.05% chance that your ship will be attacked by IDF creatures every month your ship sits idle. They are very powerful, and, like Admiral Zex, they have a device that prevents you from retreating. If they kill you, a strange groaning sound effect will play, and the program will crash. Not only that, you'll notice that the entire game has been uninstalled from your computer, and all of your save games deleted. There is nothing in the source code to explain this, nor is there any trace of the sound file in the installation directory, and it remains a mystery even to this day. However, there is a strange class in one of the code scripts labeled "Androsynth homeworld" which turns out to be nothing but corrupted garbage. Some people on the forum hypothesize that this is linked to the occurrence.
Hackers never die. They just terminate and stay resident.
Shiver
Arilou wiseguy

Post by Shiver »

:shock:

Damn, son.

Nuclear wrote:* At the title screen, hold down the keys 's', 't', 'a', 'r', and 'ctrl' all at the same time, and then hit enter. A new game will start. When you talk to Commander Hayes for the first time, he'll request radioactive fuel as usual. You'll notice a new dialogue option that isn't normally there. Select it. Hayes will say "Pfutz was here", and then the dialogue will end. A very fast ship, slightly faster than a Slylandro probe, will spawn in hyperspace at a random location on January 24th, 2157. If you encounter it, communicate. It's the Black Spathi Squadron, and they will offer to join you. Note that this secret will not work in "The Ur-Quan Masters", it will only work on the original floppy disk versions of the game. Fred Ford has confirmed in an IRC chat that only the first 3000 copies of the game have this code included.
Especially this.
Draxas
Atum-ta the Sixth

Post by Draxas »

I feel like it's April and I'm reading GamePro or EGM. :lol:
Tiberian
Orz *camper*

Post by Tiberian »

Nuclear, nice.

I can confirm the thing about Quasispace.
Author of Star Control novelizations Groombridge Log and Eternal Doctrine. www.tommisalminenbooks.com
sakalava47
Orz *camper*

Post by sakalava47 »

Nuclear wrote:
Shiver wrote:I know everything about Star Control. Here are some FACTS about the game.

* The Ilwrath cloaking device is not a hoax; it does exist and there are pointers still remaining in the source code as proof, though it is encrypted and would take a skilled hax0r to transduct. Any time a new game is started, there is a 5% chance it will be dropped on a random planet, but a grue will be spawned in its place if the chance fails. The grue can be sold to the Melnorme for 4 credits, but there is a very tiny chance they will reveal the secret of the purple bridge instead. This happened to me only once, but my Fraps license was expired at the time and my save game, screenshots, and brain got corrupted by cosmic background radiation, so I can't remember what it was.

* At the title screen, hold down the keys 's', 't', 'a', 'r', and 'ctrl' all at the same time, and then hit enter. A new game will start. When you talk to Commander Hayes for the first time, he'll request radioactive fuel as usual. You'll notice a new dialogue option that isn't normally there. Select it. Hayes will say "Pfutz was here", and then the dialogue will end. A very fast ship, slightly faster than a Slylandro probe, will spawn in hyperspace at a random location on January 24th, 2157. If you encounter it, communicate. It's the Black Spathi Squadron, and they will offer to join you. Note that this secret will not work in "The Ur-Quan Masters", it will only work on the original floppy disk versions of the game. Fred Ford has confirmed in an IRC chat that only the first 3000 copies of the game have this code included.

* After starting a new game, rename yourself to "Captain Hollywood". You must then beat the entire game without visiting the Earth starbase; this is possible, and there are various guides on the internet to instruct you how. As soon as the endgame cinematic appears, count to 10 and immediately cancel out of the cutscene. A message will inform you that Talana has been unlocked as a playable character. If the message does not appear, you must have messed up or encountered a glitch at one point, which is common. You must delete your save game and start again.

* In Quasispace, there is a 0.05% chance that your ship will be attacked by IDF creatures every month your ship sits idle. They are very powerful, and, like Admiral Zex, they have a device that prevents you from retreating. If they kill you, a strange groaning sound effect will play, and the program will crash. Not only that, you'll notice that the entire game has been uninstalled from your computer, and all of your save games deleted. There is nothing in the source code to explain this, nor is there any trace of the sound file in the installation directory, and it remains a mystery even to this day. However, there is a strange class in one of the code scripts labeled "Androsynth homeworld" which turns out to be nothing but corrupted garbage. Some people on the forum hypothesize that this is linked to the occurrence.
I wish.
sakalava47
Orz *camper*

Post by sakalava47 »

Tiberian wrote:Nuclear, nice.

I can confirm the thing about Quasispace.
I'd love to see a youtube video of it. And everything else claimed on this thread.