Let's help Stardock make the best Star Control possible!

This is the place to talk about all things Star Control.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

cuorebrave
Hunam adventurer

Let's help Stardock make the best Star Control possible!

Post by cuorebrave »

I've organized a new thread on the Stardock website here: http://forums.stardock.com/446971/page/1/

The point is to let Stardock know what was MOST IMPORTANT to us about Star Control in the first place - please give your input as they're now our best new hope at getting a TRUE Star Control game where we can revisit the glory days of that universe - and they need OUR help, the TRUE Star Control fans, to do it! Let them know what you want to see MOST!!
Frogboy
Hunam adventurer

Re: Let's help Stardock make the best Star Control possible!

Post by Frogboy »

I responded. :)
cuorebrave
Hunam adventurer

Post by cuorebrave »

FROGBOY!!! You're here too?!? You are one with many *fingers*!!! It is good to *smell* you again... Well, at least you know I'm on your side whole-heartedly ;)

Am I allowed to give away your secret identity to this board?!?! They may not be familiar with who you are....
Frogboy
Hunam adventurer

Post by Frogboy »

Sure thing!
cuorebrave
Hunam adventurer

Post by cuorebrave »

Everyone? allow me to introduce... FROGBOY aka Brad Wardell CEO of Stardock, the company responsible for FINALLY giving us a new Star Control (development starting in Fall 2013)!

Let's give him a warm welcome - AND ALSO AN EARFUL on how exactly you think they should revive our beloved series!!

Thanks for stopping by, Brad!!! Glad you found my post here :D
glory_device
Ilwrath torturer

Post by glory_device »

For me, a good sequel should include Fred and Paul. They know what is going on next.

Aside from that, let's go team!
''I swiftly matured into a fine example of my species and with my parents' assistance, achieved independence.
Specifically, they pried me from the doorjamb, and rolled me into the street.'' -Fwiffo
jello
Hunam adventurer

Post by jello »

If TFB can't have it Stardock is the next best choice. They actually seems to care about making games fun and about their customers. I've sunk more hours into Sins than I care to admit. Galactic Civ as well.
Alvarin
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Alvarin »

I'm not sure I want to register on more forums, UNLESS it is definitely going to be made into SCtrue3.
The points made in first post cover pretty much everything. The game CAN hold your hand for a bit, SC2 did - before starting the actual game you had to do a mining run and a combat. But, it was done perfectly and if you wanted to - you can skip it entirely (no starbase run is possible, though difficult).
These things were a "do", some "don't"s are in order, I think. DON'T use puppets. I do not think with current rendering it's an issue, but still - DON'T.
STYLE conversion (to first-person, for example) would be bad. So would be TYPE of the game - it needs to stay exploration.
Is it planned as a Kickstarter?
Looking forward to it!
To be angry is to punish yourself for the errors of others.
PatronGOP
Silly Supox

Post by PatronGOP »

In no particular order:

-Play SC2 before you write any of the story. It was glaringly evident that the creators of SC3 only read the cliffs notes.

-Keep with Cannon. SC2 left lots of things open for imagining. There is no need to step on the parts of the story that are established.

-Don't try to answer all of the questions. A good story gives you only about 60-75% of the information. One of the reasons we have all longed for a true sequel is to answer some of those questions. Some is fine, but if you try to answer them all and leave a neat ending you will be stomping all over the imaginations of others. Anything not done by TFB is open to the criticism of being "unofficial". Tread lightly.

-The game must be a good game and story in its own right. If it cannot stand alone it should not stand at all.

-Be funny, but don't be campy.

-Do not be a first person shooter.

I could go on and on. These are all things that Dan and I consider all the time while working on STA. These and others are the reasons we decided to make a tribute game that was not attached to the original story. Take the advice you receive for what it is worth. If you are creating a game only to appeal to dedicated SC enthusiasts you'll sell about 14 copies.
Alvarin
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Alvarin »

PatronGOP wrote: ..... If you are creating a game only to appeal to dedicated SC enthusiasts you'll sell about 14 copies.
I think there would be more than that, but yeah, not nearly enough for commercial thing.
That's why I think Kickstarter could do it, if it will strongly be targeted towards the existing fans.
If the game is envisioned as stand-alone, then Kicktarter might have too small of exposure to be successful.
To be angry is to punish yourself for the errors of others.