Progress in Star Control II

This is the place to talk about all things Star Control.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

Post Reply
palaste
Hunam adventurer
Posts: 42
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:16 pm

Re: Progress in Star Control II

Post by palaste »

Dyandod wrote:The Melnorme are present at the largest stars in the region, such as Alpha Centauri, Zeeman, or Alpha Illuminati. (It might be hard to find them if they're travelling between planets, but they'll for sure be there.

Not sure why the Mycon thing isn't working... :(
Might it be because I did it in the wrong order? I got the eggshell first and only then learned that the Mycon use them to destroy planets.
Dyandod wrote:Also, did you ever try this:
Dyandod wrote:I would suggest running out of fuel sometime and waiting to see what happens...
Not yet.
palaste
Hunam adventurer
Posts: 42
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:16 pm

Re: Progress in Star Control II

Post by palaste »

oldlaptop wrote:
palaste wrote: I found another Mycon eggshell at Beta Copernicus I, which Syreen Commander Talana said used to be their homeworld, but even after I brought it to the Earth starbase where it was confirmed it came from the Mycon, when I contacted Talana again at the Betelgeuse starbase, I didn't even get an option to say anything about the eggshell. How can I use it? Am I even at the right place?
Your character needs more in-game information. Try tossing a few hundred credits in the Melnorme's Current Events bin, or talking with a bunch of Mycons (assuming you can kill them when you're done, I once more suggest you try Pkunk Furies or ZFP Stingers on them in Supermelee).
This might be a reason why Commander Talana doesn't know I've learned of the Mycon. I asked the Melnorme about alien races, not about current events. I would have to try it again. Unfortunately, the Melnorme don't accept RUs, only credits. I can only get credits from alien DNA or rainbow world locations, and that is much harder than mining planet surfaces. I keep on accumulating more RUs than I can spend, but credits are in short supply. Maybe I'll just have to reload an old saved game and try again.
User avatar
sakalava47
Orz *camper*
Posts: 121
Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:44 pm

Re: Progress in Star Control II

Post by sakalava47 »

Have you asked Talana all about the Syreen history?
palaste
Hunam adventurer
Posts: 42
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:16 pm

Re: Progress in Star Control II

Post by palaste »

sakalava47 wrote:Have you asked Talana all about the Syreen history?
Yes, as far as I can tell. I asked her every single thing except for the obviously sexual ones, as I didn't want to anger her.
chenjesuwizard
Malfunctioning M:bot
Posts: 849
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:17 am

Re: Progress in Star Control II

Post by chenjesuwizard »

Say the sexual ones. If you are really worried, save before hand.
palaste
Hunam adventurer
Posts: 42
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:16 pm

Re: Progress in Star Control II

Post by palaste »

palaste wrote:
oldlaptop wrote:
palaste wrote: I found another Mycon eggshell at Beta Copernicus I, which Syreen Commander Talana said used to be their homeworld, but even after I brought it to the Earth starbase where it was confirmed it came from the Mycon, when I contacted Talana again at the Betelgeuse starbase, I didn't even get an option to say anything about the eggshell. How can I use it? Am I even at the right place?
Your character needs more in-game information. Try tossing a few hundred credits in the Melnorme's Current Events bin, or talking with a bunch of Mycons (assuming you can kill them when you're done, I once more suggest you try Pkunk Furies or ZFP Stingers on them in Supermelee).
This might be a reason why Commander Talana doesn't know I've learned of the Mycon. I asked the Melnorme about alien races, not about current events. I would have to try it again. Unfortunately, the Melnorme don't accept RUs, only credits. I can only get credits from alien DNA or rainbow world locations, and that is much harder than mining planet surfaces. I keep on accumulating more RUs than I can spend, but credits are in short supply. Maybe I'll just have to reload an old saved game and try again.
No, asking about current events didn't help. The Melnorme told me about every current event they knew about and none was about either the Mycon or the Syreen. When I visit Commander Talana, the only option that appears to me is "I will leave now". Maybe I'll just have to encounter the Mycon, but then they first get all mystical about the Juffo-Wup and then they attack me. But the Orz nemesis seems to be a good ship to use against the Mycon, provided you stay far away from the enemy and send out multiple space marines at once.
The Melnorme told me about the Chenjesu homeworld, and I found a starbase there, but it was empty. They also told me where to find the Druuge and the Utwig. The Druuge bought my Mycon eggshells and tried to give their mauler ships in return, but there wasn't space in my fleet, so they were just happy they got the eggshells for free. They also gave me a Rosy Sphere. I already have a Clear Spindle, given to me by the Pkunk. What do these do?
The Utwig were just completely sad and miserable and broke contact with me very early.
User avatar
oldlaptop
Yehat Revolutionist
Posts: 744
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:20 pm
Location: 175.2 : 145.0

Re: Progress in Star Control II

Post by oldlaptop »

palaste wrote: Maybe I'll just have to encounter the Mycon, but then they first get all mystical about the Juffo-Wup and then they attack me. But the Orz nemesis seems to be a good ship to use against the Mycon, provided you stay far away from the enemy and send out multiple space marines at once.
Go ahead and keep trying to talk with the Mycon, they might well say something enlightening. (You can use the RUs anyway :))
palaste wrote:The Druuge bought my Mycon eggshells and tried to give their mauler ships in return, but there wasn't space in my fleet, so they were just happy they got the eggshells for free. They also gave me a Rosy Sphere. I already have a Clear Spindle, given to me by the Pkunk. What do these do?
You will want to obtain another Mycon eggshell, I'm afraid. The Clear Spindle and the Rosy Sphere are incredibly important, but to say how and why would be very spoil-y. :)
Play Supermelee online in #uqm-arena!
Netmelee Improvement Mod
User avatar
sakalava47
Orz *camper*
Posts: 121
Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:44 pm

Re: Progress in Star Control II

Post by sakalava47 »

Have you been to the Mycon homeworld?

You can actually talk to the Chenjesu directly at their planet. You may need the hyperwave caster.
User avatar
Death 999
ZFP Peacekeeper
Posts: 1717
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:07 pm

Re: Progress in Star Control II

Post by Death 999 »

You can also learn the necessary information from the Arilou.
In return, they told me how the Mycon plant pods on planets, which then tear apart their surface and fill the atmosphere with toxic gases. This sounds like exactly what Talana told me happened to Syra, plus I already had the Mycon eggshell with me. But still, when I went to visit Talana again, I still could not say anything about the Mycon to her.
This smells like a bug.
palaste
Hunam adventurer
Posts: 42
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:16 pm

Re: Progress in Star Control II

Post by palaste »

I'm still hopelessly stuck on two accounts:
Where the heck is the creature Admiral ZEX wants? The only eight-star constellation I have found so far is Crateris, in Kohr-Ah space, but I didn't find anything like it there.
How the heck can I explain to Commander Talana that the Mycon destroyed their homeworld? I have now got the Mycon eggshell from what used to be Syra, had it analysed at the Earth starbase, learned from the Melnorme how the Mycon expand to new worlds, and even encountered the Mycon themselves (which led to inevitable combat, I was now able to destroy four of their podships), but still, the only thing I can say to Talana is "I will leave now".
I found the Sa-Matra, which I understand is supposed to be the Ur-Quan flagship and something like the final enemy in the game, at the Crateris constellation. But as soon as I encountered it, I was confronted by about a hundred Kohr-Ah spaceships. I destroyed two, but then the only ship I had left was my flagship, so I thought I had no hope left and escaped the battle.
Post Reply