The war that never happened...

This is the place to talk about all things Star Control.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

Angelfish
Slylandro gasbags

The war that never happened...

Post by Angelfish » Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:49 am

http://wiki.uqm.stack.nl/Small_War_of_2015

And we should be glad it didn't.

Draxas
Atum-ta the Sixth

Re: The war that never happened...

Post by Draxas » Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:14 pm

Indeed. One can only hope we can get to experience a year without war without having an event like this to catalyze it.

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:50 pm

We're simply not existing in the correct temporal reality. :cry: Darn.
“He tasks me. He tasks me, and I shall have him! I’ll chase him ’round the moons of Nibia and ’round the Antares maelstrom and ’round Perdition’s flames before I give him up!” ― Khan Noonien Singh

Quasispatial
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by Quasispatial » Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:17 pm

The Troglodyte wrote:We're simply not existing in the correct temporal reality. :cry: Darn.
Stop that train of thought right there, before you get it into your head to try and get to the appropriate *time*. *They* might *smell* us.
"Sentient life. We are the Ur-Quan. Independence is intolerable. Blah, blah, blah." - the Spathi High Council, Star Control II.

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:31 pm

Quasispatial wrote:
The Troglodyte wrote:We're simply not existing in the correct temporal reality. :cry: Darn.
Stop that train of thought right there, before you get it into your head to try and get to the appropriate *time*. *They* might *smell* us.
I'm suddenly scared. :o Forget I said anything.
“He tasks me. He tasks me, and I shall have him! I’ll chase him ’round the moons of Nibia and ’round the Antares maelstrom and ’round Perdition’s flames before I give him up!” ― Khan Noonien Singh

chenjesuwizard
Malfunctioning M:bot

Post by chenjesuwizard » Sat Nov 19, 2016 12:55 am

Draxas wrote:Indeed. One can only hope we can get to experience a year without war without having an event like this to catalyze it.
Maybe one day we will all come to our collective senses and this will happen. But I think I'm a bit too cynical to believe that. I think we'd probably need a huge event like this to happen for a year without war, sadly.

Alvarin
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Alvarin » Sat Nov 19, 2016 7:42 pm

15, 17 - close enough. Clashes in Syria with Putin at one side and now Trump at the other... Can get very ugly very quick.
To be angry is to punish yourself for the errors of others.

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Sun Nov 20, 2016 5:17 pm

This brings up an interesting reoccurring theme I've noticed in Sci-Fi plots. There's so many games, TV shows and movies that use dates and events that will occur in their own respective future, but they still allow for them to happen within a reasonable lifetime timescale for the rest of "us." I've always thought it best to write the events far enough into the future (but not too far, it often creates human detachment) so they can't be refuted, since we'd be dead by then... or better yet, just do what Star Wars did and say everything you're seeing actually happened a long, long time ago in a... in a... I can't remember the rest. Sorry! :P

Angelfish
Slylandro gasbags

Post by Angelfish » Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:43 am

Alvarin wrote:15, 17 - close enough. Clashes in Syria with Putin at one side and now Trump at the other... Can get very ugly very quick.
I guess so. But Hillary also was going to retain the american nuclear arsenal so that wouldn't have been any better.

Quasispatial
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by Quasispatial » Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:59 am

Angelfish wrote:
Alvarin wrote:15, 17 - close enough. Clashes in Syria with Putin at one side and now Trump at the other... Can get very ugly very quick.
I guess so. But Hillary also was going to retain the american nuclear arsenal so that wouldn't have been any better.
Well, better to retain it than to launch it, eh? :)
"Sentient life. We are the Ur-Quan. Independence is intolerable. Blah, blah, blah." - the Spathi High Council, Star Control II.