About to try to beat Star Control 2...no spoilers!

This is the place to talk about all things Star Control.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

Angelfish
Slylandro gasbags

Re: About to try to beat Star Control 2...no spoilers!

Post by Angelfish » Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:47 pm

krulle wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:01 pm
Angelfish wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:43 am
haha, made you look!
Yes, you did.
Does the umgah drone have more downforce than other ships due to its spoiler?

Borgie
Hunam adventurer

Post by Borgie » Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:02 pm

Angelfish wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:47 pm
krulle wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:01 pm
Angelfish wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:43 am
haha, made you look!
Yes, you did.
Does the umgah drone have more downforce than other ships due to its spoiler?
I expect this is probably the case, I'm pretty sure I've seen this in action. However, it's more important to note that that the spoiler is actually intended to provide lift when reversing at high speed.

Alvarin
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Alvarin » Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:08 pm

Guys, you are getting heavily off-topic.
To be angry is to punish yourself for the errors of others.

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:26 am

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Captain’s Log – Mar 23, 2158 – Alpha Tauri – Status: Green

We have arrived in the Alpha Tauri System after spending nearly 2 weeks in HyperSpace:

It may have shortened our distance by a few days to use the Quasi Portal Spawner to position ourselves a little closer, but that exit point also would’ve placed our ship deep in the heart of Ilwrath space, and that would mean dodging Avenger warships for most of the trip, so we took the long route, which only revealed a few lurking spidery patrols as we crossed inside Ilwrath territory for a brief day, but we never had to alter course to avoid any encounters.

As before in the alternate timeline, we used the Umgah HyperCaster and tricked the Ilwrath into believing that we were their almighty gods Dogar and Kazon, and after fiddling with some of their customs and vocabulary, we sent them on their merry ways to begin their most barbaric of crusading times to slaughter the Thraddash, who themselves are probably already busy bombarding their cultures on through the teens and twenties as their continued agony over their lost Aqua Helix has allowed them to acquire the unenviable title of most depressed alien species from the long-reigning champions the Utwig, which will make them ripe for the picking of the impending, invading Ilwrath fleet. It really does make me feel sorry for all those poor rhino-looking guys, but I see no other alternative. Regrettable.

Now that the Ilwrath are way to busy packing their bags for their long journey to Draconis, I’ll take this opportunity to head to Procyon II and accelerate the Chenjesu and Mmrnmhrm hybridization process by means of the Mycon’s Sun Device, and then we’ll have access to some Avatars (again) and hopefully the emerged Chmmr can tell us what to do with our newly acquired Utwig Bomb, which according to Commander Hayes should be renamed Precursor Bomb, due to its “Origins”. (Go buy Star Control: Origins today!) <-- shameless plug

We will set course for Procyon. Captain out.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ooc: I will admit that I’m not certain if this is the correct course of action by sending the Ilwrath to destroy the Thraddash (since I’ve seen that happen in alternate timelines, even though it actually seemed like they wiped each other out… somehow), but as I said I can’t see how to avoid it, so I’ve decided to see what happens if I continue in this timeline, knowing the potential consequences, but I’ve made sure to keep this game save (I mean time portal entry point) as a pivotal fork in the road.
“He tasks me. He tasks me, and I shall have him! I’ll chase him ’round the moons of Nibia and ’round the Antares maelstrom and ’round Perdition’s flames before I give him up!” ― Khan Noonien Singh

Death 999
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Death 999 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:39 pm

Wait, do you actually like SC:O? Or are you just reflexively plugging it because it's more Star Control?

Elestan
Silly Supox

Post by Elestan » Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:50 pm

The Troglodyte wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:26 am
(Go buy Star Control: Origins today!) <-- shameless plug
Death 999 wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:39 pm
Wait, do you actually like SC:O? Or are you just reflexively plugging it because it's more Star Control?
Just to clarify, there has been a massive legal battle raging for the last couple of years between Stardock (the company making SC:O) and Paul Reiche and Fred Ford (who created the game you are currently playing). If you've been deliberately confining your Star Control-related reading to this thread, you might not be aware, but it got very ugly, with Stardock's CEO at one point threatening to eliminate this forum.

The suit was settled about a month ago, but the CEO's threats against the games' fan communities, and his use of legal tactics that threatened the open-source project, have left many people very unhappy with Stardock.
Last edited by Elestan on Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Death 999
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Death 999 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:43 pm

That said, if you like SCO that's a fine position to have. I understand that Serosis likes it, for instance, and that's no problem.

Mainly I was surprised that you would have an opinion on it when you've been so slowly and methodically playing SC2, and hadn't mentioned trying SCO.

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:25 am

Oops! I didn't realize I was bringing up a controversial topic! I had heard recently that the Star Control: Origins had been released so I thought I was doing an innocent play on words there. I haven't played it or anything and had no clue there was a huge lawsuit and stuff! Wow! That's crazy!
“He tasks me. He tasks me, and I shall have him! I’ll chase him ’round the moons of Nibia and ’round the Antares maelstrom and ’round Perdition’s flames before I give him up!” ― Khan Noonien Singh

Angelfish
Slylandro gasbags

Post by Angelfish » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:30 am

Looks like someone has been living under a taalo ;).
Or a red slave shield :D

I didn't like coming to the SC community at all when that legal battle was going on, I'm glad they fixed it now and we can enjoy our games in peace!

Quasispatial
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by Quasispatial » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:18 pm

Yeah, the problems were resolved to a decent extent, but there's still residual emotions floating around so it's a bit of a sensitive topic. If you're interested, the main forum topic about it is here. I'm pretty sure there shouldn't be any real spoilers in there, but I haven't read it all so I can't make any guarantees.
"Sentient life. We are the Ur-Quan. Independence is intolerable. Blah, blah, blah." - the Spathi High Council, Star Control II.