4 Great Games That Everyone Should Try... or Else!

This is the place to talk about all things Star Control.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

Which of these games have you ever played?

1. Star Control 1
37%
2. Star Control 2 (in any form)
47%
3. Starflight 1
5%
4. Starflight 2
11%

Total votes: 19

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

4 Great Games That Everyone Should Try... or Else!

Post by The Troglodyte » Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:57 am

No, it's actually supposed to be called "4 Great Games That Everyone Should Will Try... or Else!" but it wouldn't let me do the cool slash effect in the subject line.

Ok, so what's this all about, huh? Well, anybody who's every hung around this forum in recent days or years have probably heard me name-drop the games Starflight and Starflight 2. That's because had it not been for those 2 games I may have never discovered the best game I have ever played... Star Control 2. Yes, I love Star Control 2, if you haven't noticed, and I may have discussed that point a time or two around here (and by time or two I mean as in typing out every single moment I've encountered in the game and putting it to words in a topic called "About to Try to Beat Star Control 2... no spoilers!") You should read it. No really.

Anyways, as I was saying, I like these games and I'd like to prove all of them are worthwhile retro games that everybody should give a try, and if you don't believe me, I am here to answer all of your questions, compare and contrast, and especially convince everybody who will listen/read intently as to the reason they should play all 4, and I've even included a poll for everybody to register which ones they've tried, plus I've made it revotable so you can go play the games and add them to the poll!
Last edited by The Troglodyte on Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
“He tasks me. He tasks me, and I shall have him! I’ll chase him ’round the moons of Nibia and ’round the Antares maelstrom and ’round Perdition’s flames before I give him up!” ― Khan Noonien Singh

palmpet
Ilwrath torturer
Location: Hillopia, currently imprisoned in Invictler Slave Hive.

Re: 4 Great Games That Everyone Should Try... or Else!

Post by palmpet » Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:27 am

Every space game besides Star Control always seem too complicated for me, heck I couldn't figure out how to properly play Star Control 1.
"What's the point in being grown-up if you can't be childish sometimes."

Draxas
Atum-ta the Sixth

Post by Draxas » Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:11 pm

I played both SC1 and 2 way back on DOS (SC2 first, to be fair, which is what drew me to seek out 1) in the early '90s. I never really developed much of a taste for 1, but SC2 remains in my all time top 10 to this day. I only heard about the Starflight games years later, either here or on UQMF, and never really had the time or motivation to try to seek them out.

Alvarin
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Alvarin » Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:59 pm

My first encounter was SC1 at year 92(?), then quite a bit later I found SC2. Same as Draxas, still in my very top.
Was really happy to have come across SC3 on CDROM... And then I played it...
Played the ~modern remake of Starflight (the lost colony) but didn't enjoy it much. It was sort of uncanny valley situation for me, almost like SC2, but not quite.
To be angry is to punish yourself for the errors of others.

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:51 am

palmpet wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:27 am
Every space game besides Star Control always seem too complicated for me, heck I couldn't figure out how to properly play Star Control 1.
The most complicated part of Star Control 1 was the campaign mission, and the most difficult thing to grasp during gameplay in that mode was navigating your ships throughout the map.

The map was strangely set up in a weird spiral fashion, which made it tough at times to determine which way to go. I remember in my earlier missions getting frustrated when I would waste one of my round movements going down the wrong path.

Over a short time with a little experience under my belt it became fairly easy to figure out how to get to where I wanted without trial and error.
My counter argument has been launched, so I therefore now believe that you have heard a sufficient enough rebuttal to now go and play Star Control 1.

Now I can understand that Starflight 1 and 2 were totally different animals, but both played very similarly, and simple. Have you ever even attempted to play them, palmpet?
“He tasks me. He tasks me, and I shall have him! I’ll chase him ’round the moons of Nibia and ’round the Antares maelstrom and ’round Perdition’s flames before I give him up!” ― Khan Noonien Singh

palmpet
Ilwrath torturer

Post by palmpet » Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:42 am

The Troglodyte wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:51 am
palmpet wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:27 am
The most complicated part of Star Control 1 was the campaign mission, and the most difficult thing to grasp during gameplay in that mode was navigating your ships throughout the map.

The map was strangely set up in a weird spiral fashion, which made it tough at times to determine which way to go. I remember in my earlier missions getting frustrated when I would waste one of my round movements going down the wrong path.

Over a short time with a little experience under my belt it became fairly easy to figure out how to get to where I wanted without trial and error.
My counter argument has been launched, so I therefore now believe that you have heard a sufficient enough rebuttal to now go and play Star Control 1.

Now I can understand that Starflight 1 and 2 were totally different animals, but both played very similarly, and simple. Have you ever even attempted to play them, palmpet?
Well I don't think I could even figure out how to start star control 1, I had no inkling of what some of the menu controls were, and no I do not own those games and have never had an inkling to, though I've heard them mentioned on the board.

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:37 am

Draxas wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:11 pm
I played both SC1 and 2 way back on DOS (SC2 first, to be fair, which is what drew me to seek out 1) in the early '90s. I never really developed much of a taste for 1, but SC2 remains in my all time top 10 to this day. I only heard about the Starflight games years later, either here or on UQMF, and never really had the time or motivation to try to seek them out.

Draxas, what would you consider your favorite things about Star Control 2? In other words, what are the reasons why it is in your top 10 favorite games?

palmpet
Ilwrath torturer

Post by palmpet » Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:32 am

The Troglodyte wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:37 am
Draxas wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:11 pm

Draxas, what would you consider your favorite things about Star Control 2? In other words, what are the reasons why it is in your top 10 favorite games?
I know you didn't ask me, but Star Control 2 is definetly in my top 3, I have trouble deciding between Star Control 2, PMD: Explorers of Sky and Hollow Knight.

Draxas
Atum-ta the Sixth

Post by Draxas » Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:18 pm

Let's see, I have always loved the dialog first and foremost. The whole script is brilliantly written, balancing high stakes with copious amounts of humor. The worldbuilding is also tremendous, and all of the characters you interact with feel like they have their own agendas and take actions independent of what you are trying to accomplish (even though once you know what's going on under the hood, that notion is patently false, it sure doesn't seem like it your first time around). The music is awesome all around. The galaxy you are free to explore feels vast and like there are secrets everywhere just waiting to be found (even though again, once you know what you're doing, a lot of it is of minimal importance). Combat feels natural and so well executed (a big part of why I had trouble enjoying SC1 is that, while the battles felt familiar, everything also felt more awkward to use and rougher around the edges. It's what I get for playing the sequel first, I suppose. Then again, SC3 botched this up pretty badly too).

Even after all these years, I occasionally pop open UQM (much more convenient than trying to install it from my old floppies, which were eventually corrupted and rendered unusable anyway) and start up a new game, and it is always a joy to play despite all the times I've been through it. At this point, having played probably thousands of games, there are only a select few that rate highly enough for me to want to play through twice, let alone over and over again.

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:21 am

Top notch answer Draxas! Superb! I'll get back with you on that, but first...
Alvarin wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:59 pm
My first encounter was SC1 at year 92(?), then quite a bit later I found SC2. Same as Draxas, still in my very top.
Was really happy to have come across SC3 on CDROM... And then I played it...
Played the ~modern remake of Starflight (the lost colony) but didn't enjoy it much. It was sort of uncanny valley situation for me, almost like SC2, but not quite.
And how about you, Alvarin? Do you agree with Draxas' answer? Do you have anything you'd like to add as to the reasons why you love Star Control 2?