Sequels strife

Ahh, vague omens and mysterious portents. Tangled webs of fate intertwined with the branches of destiny, blown by the capricious winds of happenstance. News, news....uh, actually there is some news!

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

krulle
Ilwrath torturer

Re: Sequels strife

Post by krulle » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:38 am

Likely Stardock counternotified and indemnified Valve/Steam from any damages...
Or Steam had a look at it, and decided the game is not infringing, and that the sales are worth the risk that Origins might be found infringing by a jury.

Stickman_king_28
Silly Supox

Post by Stickman_king_28 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:34 pm

Kinda off topic of steam/gog/etc but EVERYONE wants both s*ardock and F&P to continue making games, right? (Saw that on reddit somewhere. its already been said is my guess)
Soo... What were primitive ur-quan like? I just love to speculate about my favorite slave-master caterpillars. That wheezy voice acting tho
I have legal bulls**t phobia

Dyandod
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by Dyandod » Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:32 am

Stickman_king_28 wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:34 pm
Kinda off topic of steam/gog/etc but EVERYONE wants both s*ardock and F&P to continue making games, right? (Saw that on reddit somewhere. its already been said is my guess)
A lot of people think this way, yes. Although personally, the longer this drags on, the more I start to hate everybody involved. :P
KYAAAAAIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEE!

Matthias
Hunam adventurer

Post by Matthias » Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:37 pm

I was never a particular fan of Stardock, so I now have no problem boycotting any future work.

To be honest I was never excited about SCO to begin with, as I only care about what happens after the Sa-Matra according to P&F. Still, I could conceivably have been convinced to buy SCO, but definitely not anymore.

If Stardock wins, this will completely eliminate the possibility of ever getting a true sequel. I will be absolutely livid.

Matthias
Hunam adventurer

Post by Matthias » Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:52 pm

We seem to have some people well-versed in the law here. Lior said in his last video that P&F had a slightly stronger case. I dunno what do you guys think? Assuming they can fund the trial no problem, what do you see as the realistic outcome?

2-23-6
Arilou wiseguy

Post by 2-23-6 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:58 am

The realistic outcome is that the judge will tell them not to tie up a jury in a bullshit case and work it out through pre-trial mediation.

krulle
Ilwrath torturer

Post by krulle » Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:51 am

I thought there already has been one judge-ordered pre-trial mediation.
That was what Mr. Wardell was complaining about, that the Dogar and Kazon pair has published the settlement offers [1], despite Stardock thinking there was a confidentiality requirement. (Which the judge apparently did not order beforehand, only after the publication and Stardock requesting one.)

Stickman_king_28
Silly Supox

Post by Stickman_king_28 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:17 pm

Tbh origins isnt too bad, its just that they could've tweaked a few things and made it non star control, and it'd be great.
Soo... What were primitive ur-quan like? I just love to speculate about my favorite slave-master caterpillars. That wheezy voice acting tho
I have legal bulls**t phobia

Matthias
Hunam adventurer

Post by Matthias » Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:58 am

Anyone know how well the game is selling? It got mixed reviews, it’s based on an IP that wasn’t all that (commercially) successful in the first place, and Brad had alienated a huge portion of the fan base that I imagine would/should have been the core target of the game.

Also, wow. Didn’t realize Brad got burned THIS bad.

https://youtu.be/Ieb1ajwwUFo

krulle
Ilwrath torturer

Post by krulle » Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:31 am

No sales numbers, but someone on Reddit is tracking the playtime the players actually play ORigins:
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcontrol/co ... isnt_free/ (week 18)
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcontrol/co ... s_week_17/ (week 17)
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcontrol/co ... d_week_15/ (week 15)

As far as I can see it, there's no easy way to filter them out as a non-reddit-member....

Also, the case just concerned getting Fred and Paul barred from sending DMCA notices.
The judge had to say a few things about that, and it found very interesting words to say.
So, after this decision, Fred and Paul are free to use their legal right to prevent the spreading of alleged infringing material and by doing so transferring the risk from the hosters to the content provider.
But regarding the final outcome of the case, there's nothing in there to base any predictions for the final decisions on trademark infringement ("true sequel") and copyright infringement in that decision.