Peeru Fanfic Comments

Do you want to *play* with us camper? This is where *fun games* are had!

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

Zeracles
Pootworm

Re: Peeru Fanfic Comments

Post by Zeracles » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:13 am

Death 999 wrote:Having recently first read the Roleplaying Resource Guide (hint book), I only just found out that Druuge stink.

After very careful consideration, I have decided that incorporating this after the fact would require such extensive and intrusive revisions that I am better off just not including it, or declaring that the odor is minor enough not to become an issue under most circumstances.
Presumably Druuge can't smell it themselves? Maybe it's the sort of thing that could be worked in simply by having the Druuge start to take something orally to neutralise whatever compound is responsible for the smell, in one of the early chapters.
Twinkle twinkle Paul and Fred (more)

Death 999
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Death 999 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:50 pm

It's the reactions the humans would have that I'm thinking of. There's no way it wouldn't have come up by now. I could incorporate it under the general idea that spacefaring people don't expect aliens to smell like roses, but I'd rather just drop it and let them only look like devils and have snot rolling out of their noses at a prodigious rate. That's unattractive enough.

Death 999
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Death 999 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:01 pm

Update posted. I am beginning to run out of syreen names just at the right moment, when I won't be needing any more for some time.

Lukipela
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Lukipela » Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:34 pm

I like Fwiffo's suggestion, sounds very reasonable. Not sure how the old Syreen knows anything about Precursor tech though. Their starbase is Ur-Quan tech and I'd assume they don't have a lot of literature on Precursor machines.

Death 999
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Death 999 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:39 pm

Exploration occasionally turns up precursor gadgets. The Syreen were nomadic for almost a century, I'm sure they found several, and that's even before the war started.

The theory she picked up was general-scientific in nature, perhaps simply mathematics. I'm reasonably sure the station library would have something like that -- group theory and complex analysis aren't exactly a dangerous thing to let your slaves get ahold of, and it would take a vanishingly small space to contain. If not, someone else on the starbase probably remembered enough to teach her.

Death 999
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Death 999 » Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:12 pm

I was thinking, "With all this Christmas and New Year cheer, what if people are just too happy?" So I wrote this chapter.

No, not really.

ETA: And I wasn't happy with it, so I changed it. The bit about the conversation with the Chenjesu is handled differently.

Lukipela
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Lukipela » Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:57 pm

Well, that was cheery. Interesting to note how Peeru is adapting new values and an aversion to losing people. She's being humanized :)

Death 999
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Death 999 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:45 pm

She has persistently been acting according to the same values - don't squander valuable things, i.e. crew. The Druuge value individual human crew members significantly above 20 RU (assuming they want a profit on selling starships). This is amplified by the preferences of her boss, and by the morale issues. It is still a practical calculation.

The only sign of that changing is at the very end. And that isn't even a direct change, simply an awareness of sociological forces at play.

Zeracles
Pootworm

Post by Zeracles » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:54 am

Interested in seeing whether the real value of those sociological forces is demonstrated to Peeru. A link to the Ultron arc perhaps?
Twinkle twinkle Paul and Fred (more)

Lukipela
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Lukipela » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:31 pm

Right, I just interpreted slightly differently I suppose. I thought I detected a hint of greater values there somewhere, but maybe that was just the dreamer in me :)