Peeru Fanfic Comments

Do you want to *play* with us camper? This is where *fun games* are had!

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

Death 999
ZFP Peacekeeper

Re: Peeru Fanfic Comments

Post by Death 999 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:52 pm

Thanks for the compliment. It was this idea that actually got me writing this way back in the beginning.

The details of the prank are unimportant other than to satisfy your curiosity. If you feel that not knowing it is a problem, I have something in mind that I can work in later (Bridget will be back), or edit to include at the time. Which would you prefer?

As for the reproductive contract (MDAP), Trifop said that it's just cell swabs; and later in the chapter, Peeru's sleep avoidance thoughts should settle the issue. But to clarify with out-of-story information, it's a sterile operation. Often implemented in the actual Druuge fleet by transmitting the genetic data by hyperwave.

Lastly, edited chapter 25 when I realized that I had changed Bridget's last name by accident, possibly causing confusion.

Lukipela
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Lukipela » Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:49 pm

Death 999 wrote:Thanks for the compliment. It was this idea that actually got me writing this way back in the beginning.
Really? Well done then. it's the kind of plausible yet completetly nonsensical explanation that fits the expanded SC universe pretty well in my opinion.
Death 999 wrote:The details of the prank are unimportant other than to satisfy your curiosity. If you feel that not knowing it is a problem, I have something in mind that I can work in later (Bridget will be back), or edit to include at the time. Which would you prefer?
Oh no, you misunderstand. I don't need to know the prank I just wanted to verify that I understood what was going on correctly. English is not my first language and in this case I was afraid I'd misunderstood some key detail. Apparently I understood everything just fine, and that pleases me. I agree that the nature of the joke is irrelevant and I actually think it's better left unexplained. It makes the world more real to me that there are things there that aren't spelled out to me but still aren't completely familiar.
Death 999 wrote:As for the reproductive contract (MDAP), Trifop said that it's just cell swabs; and later in the chapter, Peeru's sleep avoidance thoughts should settle the issue. But to clarify with out-of-story information, it's a sterile operation. Often implemented in the actual Druuge fleet by transmitting the genetic data by hyperwave.
Ah, I understand. Still holding out for this being the birth of a completely new Druuge race :

Dabir
Duke Franz Ferdinand

Post by Dabir » Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:21 pm

From what I gather, the prank is simplicity itself: The Syreen violently threatens the chosen subject, making as if to genuinely kill him/her, but at the same time sends soothing psychic signals, the confusion then being funny to at least one of them.

Death 999
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Death 999 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:41 pm

For the first time since I started semimonthly updating, I am not ready. Mostly, this is because of a RL commitment, but also because this next chapter, as I presently have it, is boring. So I won't put you through it until I have something not boring.

Zeracles
Pootworm

Post by Zeracles » Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:33 am

Am I really the only one who wants to see these combat sims (especially the ones with the orbital configurations) brought to life?
Rydra wrote:how much personal loss would you take to avoid feeding the furnace... someone nameless to you? A day's work? A week's?"
As much time as it would take to generate that much energy without the furnace? :P-smf
Twinkle twinkle Paul and Fred (more)

Death 999
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Death 999 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:45 pm

If you want to know, the orbital configuration Mok used was at its heart a sequence of polar orbits, each ship passing the 'pole' in turn (evenly spaced), and they are staggered around the 'longitudes' so you can't 'lead' them around the 'equator' safely.

I put those orbital terms in quotes because the axis was not related to the planet's axis of rotation, indeed being periodically moved around to confuse attackers.
Zeracles wrote:As much time as it would take to generate that much energy without the furnace? :P-smf
Even taken in terms of pure economics from the corporation's perspective, it's nowhere near that simple.
Less -- time value is important.
More -- the worker is a profit stream while they live.

But it wasn't asked from that point of view, was it?

Anyway. I'm about 3/4 done with the next chapter. On the up side, I have submitted my paper. I may be low on time for the next month while I work on, oh, my dissertation. So. I'll have a chapter for Aug 1 but take off Aug 15, then I should be back on.

Death 999
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Death 999 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:39 pm

We're moving into tricky territory, as representing what happens at the Syreen starbase would be a dramatic change for the sexy, which has not arisen for the most part up to this point.

Speaking of which. I'm curious how people think the story is going to end. Speculations? You don't have all the pieces yet, to be sure.

cymon
Hunam adventurer

Post by cymon » Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:54 pm

I didn't want to start reading this. It's just way too long. Plus I've never been square with trying to resolve the inherent oddities of the Star Control game with a world.

But I gotta say I'm hooked. Only on chapter 4, but I'll stick with it.

Draxas
Atum-ta the Sixth

Post by Draxas » Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:27 pm

I think I'll have to try and reread this chapter again sometime. It seems very scattered and confusing, like the chaos of battle is bleeding into the story. I have no idea whether you meant that to be intentional or not.

The intrigue among the Druuge has the potential to get pretty interesting, depending on where you take it.

As for the end... well, only with tears, really. Once they retrieve the Utwig Bomb, Peeru and the rest of the Druuge on board don't really have much of a future to look forward to, do they?

Death 999
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Death 999 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:14 pm

By 'this chapter' you mean chapter 27, or some earlier chapter? Because the 'battle' in this chapter takes about one line of text.

Chapter 27 will be noticeably easier to understand in the context of chapters 19 (Peeru is carrying around the Druuge equivalent of a stem cell colony for medical purposes) and 25 (the deal with Bridget and Wyoh). I have added a note to this effect.

I'll see what I can do to clean it up. I was kind of sick when I finished it off (which is also part of why it was 3 days late).

Okay, I clarified who was talking and who was being addressed in a few cases, and cut a few superfluous lines of dialog.