Author Topic: Activision Acquires Toys For Bob  (Read 5557 times)

Offline Chad

• Evil One
  • Ur-Quan Lord
  • PNF Webmaster
    • View Profile
    • The Pages of Now and Forever
Activision Acquires Toys For Bob
« on: June 11, 2005, 05:06:07 pm »
Still playing catch up with the BIG news!

Paul Reiche III's development house Toys for Bob becomes wholly owned subsidiary of Activision. at Gamespot.com

No, not for you, Bob. Sorry. at IGN.com

Officials from Activision have announced that the publisher has acquired Novato, CA-based console developer Toys For Bob. at Gamasutra.com

And Toys for Bob confirmed it on their own website...

TFB Bought By Activision - What Up! on May 03 2005 at http://www.toysforbob.com/

Thanks to Jon F. and Robert H. for e-mailing me the news more than 1 month ago!  I've been busy so I'm just updating with the big news now!  :-\
« Last Edit: June 11, 2005, 05:07:47 pm by Chad »
"...Dogar And Kazon Clack Their Mandibles Against One Another And Snicker With Amusement."

Offline Solo4114

• Deep Child
  • Scoundrel...I like the sound of that...
    • View Profile
Re: Activision Acquires Toys For Bob
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2005, 10:44:31 am »
You know, this might not be a bad thing overall, if Activision permits TFB to retain the creative freedom it had to develop games in its own style.  If Activision tries to "over corporatize" the studio's approach to making games, they may undermine the very thing they wanted in the first place.  Aside from rabid SC fans, I doubt too many gamers know of TFB by name, so really you're buying the talent of these guys and their style (presumably).  You don't want to cramp that style by dictating how things are to be done (although you do want to collect the profits from that).

Also, while I'm by no means an industry insider, isn't Activision supposed to be one of the "good" mega-corps in the industry?  The other options being people like EA (generally regarded as "the evil empire").