Author Topic: HELP!! Rider's Log (probably contains spoilers)  (Read 4182 times)

Offline Rider

• Ur-Quan Lord
    • View Profile
    • Cubicle Webcomic
HELP!! Rider's Log (probably contains spoilers)
« on: March 17, 2003, 09:02:53 pm »
the year is 2360
(if you haven't passed this year yet, don't read on!!!)

The Ur-Quan Kohr-ah have annihilated almost every species in the galaxy. The only species left (as far as we know) are the Kohr-ah and the Ur-quan. We fight still as the  Kohr-ah have positioned their armada right above our planet. Attempts to reach the  Ur-Quan Kzer-za  have failed and we cannot leave our home because it will be destroyed.

We hope that there is a way to stop them.

As described above... this is the situation i'm in. Can I finish the game? or should I start all over again?  I met with the following  species be4 they became exctinct:

Arouileelay, Umgah, Spathi, Yehat, Sofixty (only 1), Thraddash, the traider guys, Ur-Quan, SoqFot, Syreen.

please let me  know if I should stop kicking  Kohr-ahss and restart the  game, or that there is a possibility to win it anyway.

Captain  Rider
the flagship Hope
February  2360
You wish you had a signature like mine

Offline ErekLich

• Ur-Quan Lord
  • One Ring to rule them all, eh you know the rest.
    • View Profile
Re: HELP!! Rider's Log (probably contains spoilers
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2003, 11:11:11 pm »
What objects do you have?  Also, there are other races but I think the Korh-Ah come to Sol last (? not positive) so you may be doomed...  But if you have all the stuff you can theoretically still destroy the Sa-Matra...
Oh God, please don't let me die today... tomorrow would be SO much better...

Offline Rider

• Ur-Quan Lord
    • View Profile
    • Cubicle Webcomic
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2003, 04:23:30 am »
I don't have that much items. I have 3 shields for my landers (alien, shock and weather) I have Ion and Fusion weapons, ATS system High EFS system. The Orz fighter, Fwiffo, the earth cruiser (duh) and unfortunatly not alot of other stuff. I got about 26000 RU, and I'm still kicking their Kohr-Ahss if they like it or not :)

Isn't there the possibility to destroy their entire Armada manually (bit-by-bit)?

if I need some parts that I should have gotten in the meen time but can't get now, can anyone get me a save game from a few years be4? Cuz I really don't feel like starting ALL OVER again.

thanx

Offline ErekLich

• Ur-Quan Lord
  • One Ring to rule them all, eh you know the rest.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2003, 05:01:24 am »
I was actually referring to "quest items," like the Utwig bomb, the Dynarri, etc.  If you have none of those you cannot win.

And no, you can't actually reduce someone's sphere of influence by yourself (I am prety sure)

At this point I think that game is over.
Oh God, please don't let me die today... tomorrow would be SO much better...

Offline Eth

• ZFP Peace Corps
  • Ur-Quan Lord
  • an animal on a stick!
    • View Profile
    • Famous Battles of the Ur-Quan Conflict
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2003, 12:55:15 pm »
  Yeah, there's no way to just beat them by fighting them.  Time to start over.  The frontal assault, no matter how skilled, is doomed to failure.  You need to explore more, and avoid fights when possible.  Also, SPEND those RU's!  They don't do you any good sitting in the bank!

Offline Lukipela

• ZFP Peace Corps
  • Ur-Quan Lord
  • The Ancient One
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2003, 09:23:22 am »
Yeah, you're not gonna be able to bribe the Kohr-Ah with them, so use them wisely. Several of the races that are now extinct can give you valuable help, and some are absolutely necessary for completion of the game.
Round and round it goes, where it stops nobody knows

Offline Sedodes

• Ur-Quan Lord
  • Ironic self-hating narcissist superhero!
    • View Profile
    • Clickity
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2003, 10:34:08 am »
I was actually referring to "quest items," like the Utwig bomb, the Dynarri, etc.  If you have none of those you cannot win.

And no, you can't actually reduce someone's sphere of influence by yourself (I am prety sure)

At this point I think that game is over.

I agree, the game sounds pretty much concluded.  You lose, sorry.

As for the adjustment of the sphere of influence, I have a little insight on this (at least as far as the 3DO version goes).

I've personally destroyed every ship belonging to every race (except around homeworlds and other infinite-ship-amount locations).  Note:  YOU CANNOT WIN THE GAME BY DOING THIS, you'll miss key items by making enemies with certain races.  Also, this wasn't done in a single game -- I made mortal enemies with and destroyed the fleets of a different race each game with that single intent.

What happens is that the sphere of influence will glow, as it does any other time it's modified in any way throughout the game, but it won't shrink.  My theory as to why is because the sphere size is linked to the percent of the fleet which is destroyed.  Obviously regardless of how many you destroy, if a race has an infinite ship supply in a location, their sphere won't resize no matter how many ships you destroy.

There are also "locked" spheres.  Humans, as they've no fleet, and Slylandro spheres can't even be made to glow.

As a side note, I have been a maliscious bastard and waited for all other races besides humans to be destroyed before I took out the Sa Matra.  You can win the game this way.  Also, I've waited at Sol for the Kor-ah fleet to arrive.  You can NOT win the game doing this.

The only way to win the game is to destroy the Sa Matra BEFORE the Kor-ah arrive at Sol.
In a world where one man could change the world,
One man changed the world!

WORLD CHANGER: CHANGER OF WORLDS

The day the world changed
Will be known as the day that changed the world

SPRING 2010

Offline Eth

• ZFP Peace Corps
  • Ur-Quan Lord
  • an animal on a stick!
    • View Profile
    • Famous Battles of the Ur-Quan Conflict
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2003, 12:58:56 pm »
  Your insight is fascinating.  I've never tried the things you've described here.  

Offline Chad

• Evil One
  • Ur-Quan Lord
  • PNF Webmaster
    • View Profile
    • The Pages of Now and Forever
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2003, 11:48:16 pm »

As a side note, I have been a maliscious bastard and waited for all other races besides humans to be destroyed before I took out the Sa Matra.

Heh, I've done this too, mostly to see if I got a different ending and still "won", but it sure does take care of the "alien relations" problem afterwards doesn't it? :o

;)
"...Dogar And Kazon Clack Their Mandibles Against One Another And Snicker With Amusement."

Offline Sedodes

• Ur-Quan Lord
    • View Profile
    • Clickity
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2003, 09:51:34 am »

Heh, I've done this too, mostly to see if I got a different ending and still "won", but it sure does take care of the "alien relations" problem afterwards doesn't it? :o

;)

I don't know if you're familiar with 3DO history, but there was going to be an add-on box called the M2.  I thought it might be cool if the (then only a possibility) next SC game would actually analyze your last save and only involve the races who'd survived.

Ahh, the pipe-dreams of teens... of course, now-a-days a game being different due to events that happened in a previous save isn't a big deal, but in the mid 90's it was unheard of.

SPRING 2010

Offline Rider

• Ur-Quan Lord
    • View Profile
    • Cubicle Webcomic
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2003, 04:43:59 am »
diggin through ancient posts again. There are spheres of influence that CAN be altered. For example: If you have the Ilwrath fighting the Thraddash, you can attack ships from either one (recommended is that you have allied the Thraddash before this) and the sphere of influence will decrease slowly.

note: Altough I have not tried this before: you might be able to let the Thraddash win by killing all Ilwrath ships you encounter in systems and around planets...

just a thought.

Offline Sedodes

• Ur-Quan Lord
    • View Profile
    • Clickity
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2003, 07:48:03 am »
I've tried it, Rider, and it doesn't work.

SPRING 2010

Offline fluffy_banana

• Ur-Quan Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2003, 12:43:05 pm »
I would have thought that Rider had won the game. I mean, he gives lots of tips to beginners.

Offline Lukipela

• ZFP Peace Corps
  • Ur-Quan Lord
  • The Ancient One
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2003, 01:32:21 am »
Look on the dates of the replys in this topic fluffy. A lot of the topics you've beeen aswering haven't been used in months.
Round and round it goes, where it stops nobody knows