Author Topic: Re: New Fan Music  (Read 3236 times)

Fsi-Dib

Re: New Fan Music
« on: December 30, 2003, 11:53:44 pm »
Couldn't those files be somewhere else than GameSpy's Fileplanet? I ain't gonna register for that smythe.  >:(

Offline AR81

• Hunam
  • I had a romance with Talana!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2003, 01:02:37 am »
Use the following to download.

Login: alpharomeo81@hotmail.com
Password: 0123

Offline Chad

• Evil One
  • Ur-Quan Lord
  • PNF Webmaster
    • View Profile
    • The Pages of Now and Forever
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2003, 01:58:59 am »
Couldn't those files be somewhere else than GameSpy's Fileplanet? I ain't gonna register for that smythe.  >:(

Sure, if you pay to host them  ;D
"...Dogar And Kazon Clack Their Mandibles Against One Another And Snicker With Amusement."

Offline Joseph_Collins

• Hunam
  • Not Your A-ver-age Spathi
    • View Profile
    • Bonus Time Comics
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2003, 07:13:49 am »
    FilePlanet is perfectly fine, Fsi-Dib.  With the files from the Pages of Now and Forever, you rarely have to wait in line on the public servers.  So try and curb the whining without proper -- or specific -- reason.(No, I don't accept "that smythe" as proper reason.)  It makes you look rather low-grade.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2003, 07:19:14 am by Joseph_Collins »

Offline hybaj

• Hunam
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2003, 07:46:27 am »
Yo GUYS YOU WANT THE ULTIMATE PLANET.MOD SUBSTITUTION?????
If yes Kick yer p2p progs and download (ARTIST-ALBUM-TRACK) Seefeel - Quique - (07) Through You

When i heard it for the first time i coudln't beleive my ears how much SC2 spirit is in this track... i actually rushed out to download SC2 again to compare with the orig....really great > check it out.. you won't be dissapointed ;)

I hope the guys who will make SC4 will buy rights on this track and put it on the orbiting screen or somewhere else... reaaallly beautifull :D

+ i almost forgot ... Imperial track from the same album is also nice.. got that spirit of SC2 too but not that much as the Through you track
« Last Edit: December 31, 2003, 07:59:31 am by hybaj »

Offline Sedodes

• Ur-Quan Lord
  • Ironic self-hating narcissist superhero!
    • View Profile
    • Clickity
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2003, 09:41:26 am »

FilePlanet is perfectly fine, Fsi-Dib.  With the files from the Pages of Now and Forever, you rarely have to wait in line on the public servers.  So try and curb the whining without proper -- or specific -- reason.(No, I don't accept "that smythe" as proper reason.)  It makes you look rather low-grade.

What is it you said about whining-without-specific-reason?  Does it apply to whining about whining?  I don't see where Fsi-Dib is complaining, actually... just asking a question then informing everyone that he's not going to subscribe to file planet.

Anywho, I have to agree with Fsi-Dib.  Gamespy is a bit less than the best hosting according to... well... anyone who cares to look for better hosting (www.illf*ckinghostit.com -- and yes, that * is a u).  

Why? Well, if you don't know then cancel your AOL account -- you suck at the internet.

Oh yeah, and the fan music... well, what can I say?  It's fan music.  The usual positives and negatives about fan music apply.  Some stuff is great, other stuff is terrible... don't find much in between though.  It's all based on preference in the end, however.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2004, 10:24:05 am by a_stupid_box »
In a world where one man could change the world,
One man changed the world!

WORLD CHANGER: CHANGER OF WORLDS

The day the world changed
Will be known as the day that changed the world

SPRING 2010

Offline AR81

• Hunam
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2003, 01:25:50 pm »
The advantage of FilePlanet is that it hosts game files for free.  That's all.

The rest is disadvantage, but if we want this site to run, unless we pay or we find a fan who might want to host, that seems the only option.

BTW, what do you think about the Ur Quan Suite v1.1h?  Do you like it?

I liked the Spathi remix.

Hory

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2003, 03:02:19 pm »
In the end, FilePlanet makes people not download the files anymore. I have an account and even without the queue time it's still ugly... too many clicks through so many windows... I understand it's the only option right now, and it wouldn't be so bad for occasional downloading. But what if you want to download 10 smaller files? That's where the fun begins (thanks Chad for not fileplanet-ing all the small files)...

Hory

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2003, 03:11:47 pm »
Forgot to say that I like the Ur-Quan Suit track. Kind of like the Imperial March (from SW) of SC2.

Offline Slylendro

• Deep Child
  • The Devourer of sheep!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2003, 10:00:27 pm »
you Hory from 3d_life?

btw i dont get whats your problem with fileplanet?
the account is the same gamespy account for 5 years now what's the problem logging in?
and it's very rare that you actually have to wait in a queue slot.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2003, 10:09:35 pm by Slylendro »

Hory

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2004, 04:59:38 am »
I'm not that guy, but on #sc2 I have the nick Hory|3D :).
And I didn't say i have a problem with the account. I just said the quantity of clicks and windows needed on FP is awful especially if you want to download many files (even if they are small).

Offline Chad

• Evil One
  • Ur-Quan Lord
  • PNF Webmaster
    • View Profile
    • The Pages of Now and Forever
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2004, 02:08:24 am »
Please take all talk of fileplanet and your dislikes of it to the off-topic discussion board.  Comment about fan music in this thread.   >:(
"...Dogar And Kazon Clack Their Mandibles Against One Another And Snicker With Amusement."

Offline Sedodes

• Ur-Quan Lord
    • View Profile
    • Clickity
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2004, 10:27:11 am »
Please take all talk of fileplanet and your dislikes of it to the off-topic discussion board.  Comment about fan music in this thread.   >:(

Previous post modified to include fan music talk to make it on-topic.

And uh, the fan music... it's made by fans.  No, not the kind which push wind, the kind that are entusiastic about a particular thing.  Oh dear me, now this is about fans... Did you know that spinning a fan (the wind-pushing kind) at a faster speed makes a higher pitched sound?  Yes!  Fan music!  W00t!  On topic again!

SPRING 2010

Offline AR81

• Hunam
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2004, 09:00:11 am »

Previous post modified to include fan music talk to make it on-topic.

And uh, the fan music... it's made by fans.  No, not the kind which push wind, the kind that are entusiastic about a particular thing.  Oh dear me, now this is about fans... Did you know that spinning a fan (the wind-pushing kind) at a faster speed makes a higher pitched sound?  Yes!  Fan music!  W00t!  On topic again!

The curious thing about fan music is that it is made by the sole joy of making it.

If you are a delicate ear, you will find the original SC2 tunes ugly in the first place.  Why?  Because in 1994 they had 4 channels only, they didn't have volume variations, samples had low quality,  etc, etc...

So if you are like that, you shouldn't listen to the original game in the first place.

I know my tunes aren't pro yet.  But they have improved a lot and they now have a more decent feeling.  It is a process called learning.

Now I add volume variations, panning, etc.  My samples are not the best, but I have no way to have better ones right now...

One year ago I thought my remixes were great.  Now I see I have improved and they are not as great as I remembered, but that's a process.  In the meantime, you may learn to enjoy the artistic work of people and you may recognize when a fan is in the right way.

I do love arts.  When I first downloaded fan remixes I expected a similar quality as you may see in the original tunes in 1994.  However I got a nice surprise.  Some were better.

So I think fan music.

Offline Sedodes

• Ur-Quan Lord
    • View Profile
    • Clickity
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2004, 09:28:51 am »
For the purposes of nostalgia, I prefer the original 4-channel "low quality".  I think a lot of the "new" effects in audio rendering since '92 that are being used are perhaps why some people don't like the remixes.

Don't get me wrong -- I appreciate the time and effort and dedication to the game it takes to actually care enough to make a remix, but really, if someone has the desire to use the fancy effects and whatnot why not make some original music?

Ever see some photoshop art where the lens flare effect is overused?  Sometimes simplicity is key.

To those who make the music, why not a compromise?  Make your remix how you want, and then keep that version but also make a "classic" version in the old 4-channel style.  That way, you win fans both ways (if it's good, anyway).

But what do I know... I already spend enough time on this damned machine, if I were to start making remixes I'm sure I'd be a shriveled, dehydrated version of myself after a week.  As such I stay away from it.

SPRING 2010