Author Topic: getting starcon to work...  (Read 2313 times)

andrew

getting starcon to work...
« on: December 12, 2003, 06:21:46 pm »
hey all. i have downloaded the re-released version, played it a bit and i don't really like it. i like the nostalgia of the old one, i have downloaded the newest version of dosbox. i have a pentium II 350 running windows 98. i did have starcon2 and dosbox about a year ago but it was wiped out when i reformatted and i need the command lines to get the game working again as i forgot, can anyone help me out?

done

Re: getting starcon to work...
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2003, 07:36:24 pm »
What do you mean you like the old dos-version over the re-release?
it's exactly the same besides a FEW text lines, and the rerelease has SPEECH and improved music. the menus are a bit diffrent but there are very few menus and it's easy to get used to them

I'm just saying this because it's pretty much useless to install the old dos game when you have a kickass 3do portion right in the corner, but that's your problem.

Offline Megagun

• Ur-Quan Lord
  • Signatures SUCK.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2004, 08:22:23 am »
ehm  /s:silent and optionally /g:bios
/s:silent works on ALL comps to disable sound (unless it runs winxp, i believe) and /g:bios is to change the palette (if its messed up)

Offline StarFighter

• Hunam
  • blah blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2004, 09:45:40 am »
and you can also make it look(and sound?) like the old sc2 pcversion, just read the readmes and helps, there are some command line parametres that affect sound graphics, menus and stuff(if i remember right, as i didn't use any of them  :P)

Offline Terminator

• *Happy Camper*
  • Obnoxious one reformed 10/08/08
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2004, 12:21:45 pm »
hey all. i have downloaded the re-released version, played it a bit and i don't really like it. i like the nostalgia of the old one, i have downloaded the newest version of dosbox. i have a pentium II 350 running windows 98. i did have starcon2 and dosbox about a year ago but it was wiped out when i reformatted and i need the command lines to get the game working again as i forgot, can anyone help me out?

I run SC2 without a DOS emulator if I run it in Win98 I MUST disable sound if I run from dos (comand prompt) the sound works with the PC speaker and isn't too bad either :D

If you don't like the music (pertains to Windows\DOS ONLY!) hijack the 3domusic.zip file and erase the music you don't like the original PC music will run or you can use your own like I use Mark Vera's OC Remix for Hyperspace. just make sure that you recode it to ogg format and replace it's really quite simple. One thing I noticed when you alter any of the zip files playing a changed track makes the games lag(ie. whenever I ever Hyperspace there is a noticable lag nothing major maybe a second)
Blood is red, bruises are blue. When strangers come here, we run them through!

Offline SCMaster

• Hunam
  • Forever trying
    • View Profile
    • My fav band!!
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2004, 08:12:21 am »
can someone plz tell me how to use dosbox and where to get it coz it seems i probably had the same prob tht andrew had wen he first tried to load sc2. (very slow and sluggish with messed up sounds and weird colouring?).
Im always needing help with these games

Offline Sedodes

• Ur-Quan Lord
  • Ironic self-hating narcissist superhero!
    • View Profile
    • Clickity
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2004, 10:58:43 am »
1)  To speed up the game you need to increase the cycles.  This can be done with ctrl+f12.  Be careful, though, increase them too much and the game gets sluggish.

2)  To fix the sounds, use the "setup" or "install" menu for the game and try different sound cards.  As for coloring, there's switches to adjust colour depth, as well as there are to fix the sound.

I, personally, find it rather insulting that someone chooses the name "SCMaster" without even knowing how to run an emulator when you can easily type HELP or INFO at the prompt to get help.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2004, 11:00:45 am by a_stupid_box »
In a world where one man could change the world,
One man changed the world!

WORLD CHANGER: CHANGER OF WORLDS

The day the world changed
Will be known as the day that changed the world

SPRING 2010

Offline tingkagol

• Hunam
  • Yep. This is a little booger.
    • View Profile
    • Urbandub Online v2
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2004, 01:02:58 pm »
Hello. I have problems with the sounds too. I tried looking for the setup file, but all I can find is the keys.exe and sc2 and melee exes... Do I need to get the install disk or is there another way around this?

I'm running a P4 2.5Ghz on WinXP Pro
Using DosBox to run SC2.
The game crashes when a sound is played.

Thanks.  ;)

Offline Rider

• Ur-Quan Lord
    • View Profile
    • Cubicle Webcomic
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2004, 12:32:00 pm »
please just install UQM and save yourself a lot of work!
You wish you had a signature like mine