Author Topic: Did I miss anything?  (Read 13980 times)

Offline Nuclear

• Ur-Quan Lord
  • "Da Da Da, Da Da, Da!"
    • View Profile
Did I miss anything?
« on: March 09, 2010, 11:24:34 am »
Since I'm pretty new to this forum, I was just wondering. Has anything eventful/exciting/revolutionary to SC/really funny happend when I wasn't here? Also, was there any important forum members that made some interesting posts? Maybe daily posters who aren't here anymore, nothing says "Nostalgia" like staring at Geomans profile 8) . It would be nice to catch up on whats been happening.
Lever1: Hey, I want too push the button
Lever2: No! I want too!
Lever3: Stop whining you two!
Button: Hey Lever 3, can we switch jobs? I'm getting bored of pushing the button....
Lever3: Sweet!
Lever1/2: awww no fair!

Offline Angelfish

• *Happy Camper*
  • Fear Boop. Run away and hide. Quickly!
    • View Profile
    • VandeDonk.nl - InsaniBlog
Re: Did I miss anything?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2010, 12:04:34 pm »
Since I'm pretty new to this forum, I was just wondering. Has anything eventful/exciting/revolutionary to SC/really funny happend when I wasn't here? Also, was there any important forum members that made some interesting posts? Maybe daily posters who aren't here anymore, nothing says "Nostalgia" like staring at Geomans profile 8) . It would be nice to catch up on whats been happening.

You missed a lot ;).
- I discovered the cloaking device in SC2, causing a massive uproar.
- Timewarp got released.
- We made a 'start' with NetSC ;). I abandoned the project due to RL issues.
- Atarex (Chad) went missing.
- Scott Irving started numerous projects which he is still 'working' on to this day.
- The Star Control Writers Collective led by Shaun Green (Greenish9) got started, and many great Star Control fanfics were written.
- Young as we were, we also had many political discussions in its mailing list, leading to nothing but frustration ;).
- Everyone was in love with Yukki. the japanese cartoonist.
- There was an incredible discussion board, the discussion board of Guillaume Lafranc.
- Tsing was acually active and he created some great 3d-models every once and a while.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 12:06:42 pm by Angelfish »
What would you give to know the truth?

Offline Nuclear

• Ur-Quan Lord
  • "Da Da Da, Da Da, Da!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2010, 12:33:46 pm »
Cloaking device = I heard about that, did people actually believe you? It's kind of like when a guy says "Theres a tiger in this room!" After everyone is in the room {And disappointed that theres no tiger}, the door is then locked, leaving everyone to die of thirst or hunger, whichever comes first. Damn, I love speaking metaphorically!

Timewarp = Now I'm REALLY mad that I missed that! I had some pretty good ideas!

Chad = He still returns each time the planets line up...

Scott's projects = You mean like XR the movie project? Soun't like a long shot idea but I'm still in favor of it...

SC writers collective = Seemed like an interesting collaboration but its dead now, Oh well.

Political Discussions = Yuck :P

Yukki = Never heard of 'em

Guillaume Lafranc = inventor of the uhmmmm...Snufflewuffagus...

Tsing = Oh yeah, he had some pretty good models over at that SC3D site, didn't he also make Sa-Matra.net?

Some things that I found:
1. Slylendro, he Had some pretty good movies didn't he?

2. Snakes on a board, I would have been all over that topic! Anyone wanna rematch? :)

3. Pickle-vegatable the forum game, Tomato-VEGETABLE!....Errrr, I mean FRUIT!

At least I was here to experience the legendary "NICE LENS FLARES!!!""Thanks!""YOUR WELCOME!!!" Debate, actually, that was in my own thread. Nice Eth, that was awesome :D
Button: Hey Lever 3, can we switch jobs? I'm getting bored of pushing the button....

Offline Lukipela

• ZFP Peace Corps
  • Ur-Quan Lord
  • The Ancient One
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2010, 12:38:16 pm »
I recognize all of that except for Guillaume Lafranc. A quick google told me nothing. Care to elaborate?

For ore SCDB stuff, you could check the old History Thread.

Also, Zeracles is up to some form of indexing of SC history over at the Ultronomicon with plenty of threads at his talk page or whatchamacallit.

Tsing also recently made a new model and while Chad doesn't post much, he's around quite a lot nowadays.

Round and round it goes, where it stops nobody knows

Offline Nuclear

• Ur-Quan Lord
  • "Da Da Da, Da Da, Da!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2010, 12:41:06 pm »
Most {If not all} of the links in your unofficial history lead to the dead site, do you still have that old site lying around in some mysterious link noone ever talks about any more? {Sorry...}

Offline Lukipela

• ZFP Peace Corps
  • Ur-Quan Lord
  • The Ancient One
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2010, 12:49:20 pm »
Whoops, forgot about that. It's all stuff on this forum, but the old host was annoying with links. If something catches your interest, I'm afraid you have to substitute our part of the URL. so

http://dynamic.gamespy.com/~starcontrol/forum/index.php?topic=178

becomes

http://dwww.star-control.com/forum/index.php?topic=178
Round and round it goes, where it stops nobody knows

Offline Nuclear

• Ur-Quan Lord
  • "Da Da Da, Da Da, Da!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2010, 12:54:53 pm »
Oh my, these topics really are quite old! Thanks luki! And also, great example link, I'm gonna try that game right now...

Offline Angelfish

• *Happy Camper*
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2010, 02:17:46 pm »
I recognize all of that except for Guillaume Lafranc. A quick google told me nothing. Care to elaborate?

Guillaume Lafranc (actually his name is Guillaume LafrancE) was the owner of the first star control message board.
You can still see that board through the web archiver ;)
http://web.archive.org/web/20010604183022/www.cam.org/~lafranc/sc4board/

Most posts don't exist there anymore, but luckily most posts there are *NT* :D
As you can see, back then things were much more laid back and wacky all around ;)

Offline Nuclear

• Ur-Quan Lord
  • "Da Da Da, Da Da, Da!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2010, 02:27:29 pm »
Guillaume Lafranc (actually his name is Guillaume LafrancE) was the owner of the first star control message board.

Ah, another old abandoned alleyway in the bustling city that is the internet, full of basic backgrounds, old style foruming and plenty of broken links to go around. Indeed, the conversation that went on are much more laid back, nothing too scientific, just "Why does the background turn purple?" style stuff. Thanks again for showing me this, you gotta love the questions of past StarControllers...That is what a StarControl fan is referred to as right?

Offline Angelfish

• *Happy Camper*
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2010, 02:33:19 pm »

Ah, another old abandoned alleyway in the bustling city that is the internet, full of basic backgrounds, old style foruming and plenty of broken links to go around. Indeed, the conversation that went on are much more laid back, nothing too scientific, just "Why does the background turn purple?" style stuff. Thanks again for showing me this, you gotta love the questions of past StarControllers...That is what a StarControl fan is referred to as right?

Actually, I thinik there was a discussion about just that on one of these older boards ;). But I can't remember what the result was :D

Offline Eth

• ZFP Peace Corps
  • Ur-Quan Lord
  • an animal on a stick!
    • View Profile
    • Famous Battles of the Ur-Quan Conflict
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2010, 01:42:47 am »
  Now, if I'm not mistaken, Guillaume's board was the original SCDB, while the first board on PoNaF was called the "All About Star Control Forum" or somesuch.  At some point, the SCDB was moved to Chad's site, and then eventually the two fora were merged into the predecessor of the forum you are reading right now. 

Do I have my history right here?

Offline Nuclear

• Ur-Quan Lord
  • "Da Da Da, Da Da, Da!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2010, 11:03:24 am »
"All about StarControl forum"...

You mean like http://www.star-control.com/hosted/scsaga/ ?
That site had a catch phrase like "Everything you ever wanted to know about StarControl".
I don't think that place had a forum though

Offline Eth

• ZFP Peace Corps
  • Ur-Quan Lord
  • an animal on a stick!
    • View Profile
    • Famous Battles of the Ur-Quan Conflict
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2010, 11:36:25 am »
No, more like this.

But it looks like there's also The Pages of Now & Forever's Forums.  How confusing!

Offline Nuclear

• Ur-Quan Lord
  • "Da Da Da, Da Da, Da!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2010, 12:21:48 pm »
Its sad that their all abandoned now, but then again the internet is cruel. Very cruel. Unfortunately, all the links in there are broken but it was at least fun to see what I would have dumped a bit of my social life into were it 1999 :P. Any other PONAF Precursors?

Offline Rider

• Ur-Quan Lord
    • View Profile
    • Cubicle Webcomic
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2010, 12:25:27 pm »
Well there was the YABB version of these very forums, but I don't think you'll be able to find those anywhere... someone feel free to prove me wrong though.
You wish you had a signature like mine