Poll

Did you ever pirate one or more copies of Star Control 2?

No, I got my copies in a legal way.
4 (26.7%)
No, I discovered SC2 when the freeware UQM came out.
3 (20%)
Yes, I pirated the game at least once
8 (53.3%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Author Topic: Did you ever pirate Star Control 2?  (Read 10049 times)

Offline Angelfish

• *Happy Camper*
  • Fear Boop. Run away and hide. Quickly!
    • View Profile
    • VandeDonk.nl - InsaniBlog
Did you ever pirate Star Control 2?
« on: March 07, 2010, 04:42:38 pm »
It's time for a poll! :). Apparently a lot of people pirated their first copy of Star Control 2, judging from this topique:
http://www.star-control.com/forum/index.php/topic,2201.0.html
So now I'm curious, how many of the people that post here have indeed pirated their copy of Star Control 2 :).
I myself have gotten it legally, back in the days one of my fathers friends/colleagues gave us a CD with Star Control 1 and 2 on it :).
What would you give to know the truth?

Offline viperbob

• Hunam
    • View Profile
Re: Did you ever pirate Star Control 2?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2010, 06:16:28 pm »
Angelfish, I got my first copy, now on 4 3 1/2" disks, from a BBS I was involved in 30+ years ago.  It was uploaded to our BBS and I took a copy (downloaded) then.  I don't know if the disks are still good, but now I downloaded a new verizon and am enjoying it all over again.
So was the first copy pirated...... a definate maybe.
Too many years gone by for me to actually remember.  Hmm I can't remember my last visit to the dentist.
VB
VB

Offline Anthony

• Hunam
    • View Profile
    • Star Controller
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2010, 07:18:17 pm »
It's time for a poll! :). Apparently a lot of people pirated their first copy of Star Control 2, judging from this topique:
http://www.star-control.com/forum/index.php/topic,2201.0.html
So now I'm curious, how many of the people that post here have indeed pirated their copy of Star Control 2 :).
I myself have gotten it legally, back in the days one of my fathers friends/colleagues gave us a CD with Star Control 1 and 2 on it :).

Interesting question.  Yes, I have pirated Star Control.  When I was a kid, my dad had Star Control on blank disks.  He used to call it "starcon" because he'd always enter a:\starcon in DOS.  It did not have Professor Zorg's Etiquette, which I was surprised to discover years later.

I remember when I heard about Star Control II coming out, I couldn't find it in any stores.  This was around the time WarCraft II came out.  A few years later, I discovered Abandonia and various IRC sites where people can chat about old games.  However, I could argue that if I haven't been playing the pirated version of SC2, I wouldn't have discovered UQM.

On GOG.com, there are a few hundred votes to have Star Control 1 and 2 added to their catalogue. http://www.gog.com/en/wanted/ Since UQM is free, I'm not sure there's a need to have the DOS version sold on their site.  With regards to SC1, it would be nice and I would only support it if TFB gets paid fairly for it while resolving the issue with Atari owning the name "Star Control".  I recently learned that Greg Johnson did not get paid for ToeJam & Earl on Virtual Console; there were some legal technicalities over who owned the game.

In summary, I have pirated Star Control because these games were difficult to find at the time and I don't think I would be into Star Control as much I am right now if I didn't.  However, I have won a few eBay auctions and I do have legitimate copies of them now. :D

Offline Scott_Irving

• ZFP Peace Corps
  • Ur-Quan Lord
  • XR Webmaster / PNF Deputy
    • View Profile
    • XR: The Movie Project
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2010, 08:39:41 pm »
Insert obligatory message :Let it be Said that we at PNF do not condone piracy and/or the use and distribution of pirated copies of Star Control 2, any discussion on where to download anything besides UQM will be removed with out delay.

Mod: let it also be said that i have fixed my spelling mistake and noted why this was posted.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 05:41:32 pm by Scott_Irving »

Offline Angelfish

• *Happy Camper*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2010, 09:03:46 pm »
Let it be Said they we at PNF do not condone piracy and/or the use and distribution of pirated copies of Star Control 2, any discussion on where to download anything besides UQM will be removed with out delay.

Oh gee, we didn't know that now did we!??!?!  >:(

Offline fossaman

• Ur-Quan Lord
  • The Fossa will rule you all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2010, 12:05:57 am »
Big fat yes. My first exposure to Star Control was when my older brother's friend let him copy it onto our computer. Just about the coolest game I'd ever played (at age six or seven, that's not too surprising).

I never really had an opportunity to pay money for it, frankly. I didn't even know what piracy was, beyond the "Yarr, walk the plank!" kind.
Brick Flail!

Offline Lukipela

• ZFP Peace Corps
  • Ur-Quan Lord
  • The Ancient One
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2010, 10:39:21 am »
Much like Angelfish, I got a SC + SCII combo as a present, so I didn't pirate nothing.

Let it be Said they we at PNF do not condone piracy and/or the use and distribution of pirated copies of Star Control 2, any discussion on where to download anything besides UQM will be removed with out delay.

True that.
Round and round it goes, where it stops nobody knows

Offline Eth

• ZFP Peace Corps
  • Ur-Quan Lord
  • an animal on a stick!
    • View Profile
    • Famous Battles of the Ur-Quan Conflict
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2010, 02:13:26 pm »
  I bought the SC2 Role-Player Resource Guide (with Deluxe Map of Hyperspace!) and SC3.  I LEGALLY ACQUIRED SC1 and SC2, I'm afraid.  Somehow I have a proof of purchase from SC2 now, though.  I think I borrowed a friend's manual and never returned it.   :P

Anyway, such behavior is VERY BAD, and I don't do it anymore! 

Offline Nuclear

• Ur-Quan Lord
  • "Da Da Da, Da Da, Da!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2010, 02:55:00 pm »
This kind of reminds me of Sierra's old Leisure Suite Larry games where they sold more hint books then the actual games because of all the pirated copies
Lever1: Hey, I want too push the button
Lever2: No! I want too!
Lever3: Stop whining you two!
Button: Hey Lever 3, can we switch jobs? I'm getting bored of pushing the button....
Lever3: Sweet!
Lever1/2: awww no fair!

Offline Angelfish

• *Happy Camper*
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2010, 04:40:16 pm »
Personally, I think that this just shows that copyright on games isn't something that can last very long, since by the time a game goes 10 years old, most people don't have the systems anymore to play it, nobody sells it anymore, and thusly people should be free to pirate it.
The only exception to this is Starcraft, which is still commonly sold in the blizzard store ;).

Offline Bleeding Star

• Ur-Quan Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2010, 08:15:13 am »
Definitely was a pirated copy the first time I got it. I feel bad about it now...

Offline Cedric6014

• *Happy Camper*
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2010, 11:02:04 am »
Legal way for me. Had a pirated copy of SC1 admittedly, but I loved it so much that I was always going to get the sequel legitmately. In fact my brother and I both simultaneously bought a copy so we ended up with two, although mine had the starmap missing  >:(

Offline Death 999

• *Happy Camper*
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2010, 12:51:11 pm »
I played on a friend's comp. He bought it legit. So, option #1 I guess, even though I personally didn't pay for it.
We did. You did. Yes we can. No.

Offline Chad

• Evil One
  • Ur-Quan Lord
  • PNF Webmaster
    • View Profile
    • The Pages of Now and Forever
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2010, 01:58:28 pm »
I remember my experience as follows....

1)  parents bought me Star Control 1 on Sega Genesis for a birthday present. 
2)  a childhood friend and his dad bought Star Control 2 on PC and my dad pirated it for me to play it.
3)  I bought SC 3 when it came out.  I also got the "Star Control 3 Trilogy" at some point.  It was a box of SC 3 with a CD-ROM containing SC 1 and SC 2 dropped in the box.

Until recently, I still had the photo copied SC 2 manual from my childhood. 

I have a couple boxed copies of Star Control 2 now in my gaming collection.  Unfortunately, I doubt TFB got much, if any, royalties from my playing of Star Control 2.
"...Dogar And Kazon Clack Their Mandibles Against One Another And Snicker With Amusement."

Offline viperbob

• Hunam
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2010, 04:42:09 pm »
Yup, I tried SC3 and couldn't get interested it the game at all.  Bought the game and checked the reviews and it just didn't come up to my experiences with SC2.  It just didn't have the quality that SC2 had.
Got rid of it years ago.......... :(
VB
VB