Author Topic: Doctor Who  (Read 8387 times)

Offline Rider

• Ur-Quan Lord
    • View Profile
    • Cubicle Webcomic
Doctor Who
« on: February 09, 2010, 01:30:40 am »
Curiously, there's no thread about this yet.

So I'm re-watching the reboot of the series that started in 2005 and It's just as awesome as it was the first time around. I'm really curious how the next Doctor will do as David Tennant made such a spectacular Doctor. It's gonna be tough walking in those shoes.

Anyone else watch this? If you're even remotely into sci-fi and don't, then this would be the opportune moment!
You wish you had a signature like mine

Offline Dabir

• Talking Pet
    • View Profile
Re: Doctor Who
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2010, 09:26:07 am »
I personally think the next doctor will rock, as long as the writers are on the ball. From the new series previews I've seen it looks a bit too much like an action movie, but that's probably some preview editor getting a load of clips and going "Hey guize people liek action rite?"

Offline Eth

• ZFP Peace Corps
  • Ur-Quan Lord
  • an animal on a stick!
    • View Profile
    • Famous Battles of the Ur-Quan Conflict
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2010, 12:42:05 pm »
I watched a few of them when they were first running; they were quite good.  Dr. Who is one of those shows that I don't seek out, but I watch it if I notice it while flipping channels.  It rarely disappoints.

Offline Lukipela

• ZFP Peace Corps
  • Ur-Quan Lord
  • The Ancient One
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2010, 12:49:02 pm »
I watched a few of them when they were first running; they were quite good.  Dr. Who is one of those shows that I don't seek out, but I watch it if I notice it while flipping channels.  It rarely disappoints.

Yeah, it was on at some odd time/channel here so I rarely caught it. But when I did, I did enjoy it. Daleks are wicked.
Round and round it goes, where it stops nobody knows

Offline chenjesuwizard

• *Happy Camper*
  • No
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2010, 01:47:33 pm »
I watch it.
I think the new series will be good because it will have Stephen Moffet as the writer, who always does the creepiest and best episodes (Blink, Silence In The Library, The Empty Child). He's a very skilled writer.
I'm watching you. I always do. I know your every step. Awake or asleep. I look into your dreams. I see all your emotions, your love, your sorrow, everything around you. I feel your pain and endure it. I can cast the magic of the worlds and destroy everything you see.
This is a burden, and a gift.

Offline Scott_Irving

• ZFP Peace Corps
  • Ur-Quan Lord
  • XR Webmaster / PNF Deputy
    • View Profile
    • XR: The Movie Project
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2010, 05:03:53 pm »
I actually just started buying it on itunes last month, only halfway through season 1, so far I like it, and i guess it only get's better from there? or so I hear. Brings back some memories of watching the original, so much so that I actually have the theme as my current ring tone.

Offline Rider

• Ur-Quan Lord
    • View Profile
    • Cubicle Webcomic
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2010, 01:32:29 am »
Yeah it is. Season 1 is sort of a reintroduction with the writers/directors still getting a feel for their material. It's only going to get better over time.

Also, Lukipela & Eth, I did find the series to be quite powerful when watched in sequence as you can see a lot of character development that you're going to miss out on otherwise. Just saying :)

Offline Bleeding Star

• Ur-Quan Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2010, 08:25:10 am »
In these modern times I'm afraid that I can't get past the shitty special effects and hammy acting, no matter how good the story is. Though I used to love it as a kid. Pertwee is the Doctor for me!

Offline chenjesuwizard

• *Happy Camper*
  • No
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2010, 10:23:22 am »
I think the acting was very good. In the circle, during "Turn Left" Catherine Tate was amazing. She was probably the best actor of them all
I'm watching you. I always do. I know your every step. Awake or asleep. I look into your dreams. I see all your emotions, your love, your sorrow, everything around you. I feel your pain and endure it. I can cast the magic of the worlds and destroy everything you see.

Offline Bleeding Star

• Ur-Quan Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2010, 01:50:12 am »
I can't take her seriously. I just imagine her saying "am I bovvered?" to every alien they meet and can't stop myself giggling.

Offline Rider

• Ur-Quan Lord
    • View Profile
    • Cubicle Webcomic
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2010, 02:20:24 am »
I take it you haven't seen this then? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxB1gB6K-2A

Offline chenjesuwizard

• *Happy Camper*
  • No
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2010, 10:53:28 am »
I think she was very good, this is her best bits thingy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frQBYr7-IYU

Offline Lukipela

• ZFP Peace Corps
  • Ur-Quan Lord
  • The Ancient One
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2010, 12:40:48 pm »
Also, Lukipela & Eth, I did find the series to be quite powerful when watched in sequence as you can see a lot of character development that you're going to miss out on otherwise. Just saying :)

I'm sure you're right, but it's a question of finding the time to watch it. I watched the first 7 seasons of Stargate in 2 months back when I was younger, and it improved it a lot. Same for Babylon 5. But that was back when time wasn't a valuable commodity :(
Round and round it goes, where it stops nobody knows

Offline Eth

• ZFP Peace Corps
  • Ur-Quan Lord
  • an animal on a stick!
    • View Profile
    • Famous Battles of the Ur-Quan Conflict
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2010, 11:13:24 pm »
  I just don't watch much TV, I'm afraid.  I have trouble sitting still for it.  Every time a commercial comes on I wander off and find something better to do. 

Offline Dragon

• Talking Pet
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2010, 12:07:53 am »
I just don't watch much TV, I'm afraid.  I have trouble sitting still for it.  Every time it comes on I wander off and find something better to do. 
Fixed that for you ;)

I should probably give Doctor Who a chance sometime.  I've only ever watched one episode - one of the more recent ones.  It was alright.