Author Topic: New Movies  (Read 25766 times)

Offline Bleeding Star

• Ur-Quan Lord
    • View Profile
Re: New Movies
« Reply #45 on: January 25, 2010, 02:55:34 am »
I never like the unscientific idea of an alien turning a human into another alien or things like that

Certainly the whole mutagenic fuel thing and bio-controlled weapons were a bit of a plot device, and didn't bear much close scientific scrutiny, but as long as you can relax and ignore it I thought it was a great film.

Aside from the unnecessary use of vulgar slanguage, was pretty good

Sometimes people just talk like that, though. I'd certainly be swearing my head off if put through any of those situations. Though it must be said I'm no expert on either South African or alien swear words, so I don't know how authentic it was.

Offline Lukipela

• ZFP Peace Corps
  • Ur-Quan Lord
  • The Ancient One
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 04, 2010, 01:03:08 pm »
Not sure if it qualifies for "New movies" exactly, but Supersize me was on yesterday. I hadn't actually seen it before, it was quite inter. I'm glad I only eat fast food a couple of times a year, and now I'll probably eat it even less. At the same time, I can't help but marvel at the portion sizes in the US. Who the hell can manage that amount of Cola and fries with their meal? It just seems really really absurd.Almost grotesque.
Round and round it goes, where it stops nobody knows

Offline fossaman

• Ur-Quan Lord
  • The Fossa will rule you all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 04, 2010, 02:18:33 pm »
I'm an American, and I think it's grotesque too. There's a reason I only ever order the medium drink and fries. It's because my stomach is not the size of the state of Texas! Of course, I also don't eat out very frequently. I suspect it's less than twice a month, on average. So perhaps I just haven't trained my gut to be a massive storage container for the ingredients to make people-lard.
Brick Flail!

Offline Alen

• Ur-Quan Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 04, 2010, 06:53:56 pm »
Personally as a Canadian we dont eat nearly the amount that Americans do from watching that movie.But Im sure that that was just taking it to the extreme to prove a point. Regardless however, if this keeps up obesity is going to shorten quite afew generations life spans.
And that's all I got to say about that.

Offline Bleeding Star

• Ur-Quan Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 05, 2010, 02:20:06 am »
AS a young fella I could eat like a machine - put away plates of chinese or curry or whatever. But when I moved to the states I found I couldn't even finish a standard serving of a burger/ribs/whatever and fries (at Chillis, TGIF, or something similar). I don't know if it's the size of the portion or the greasiness factor, but I'd end up getting a doggy bag almost every time. And this was in California, which isn't even proper america - I hate to think what it would be like in Texas...

Offline fossaman

• Ur-Quan Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 05, 2010, 02:58:15 am »
It's just about impossible to finish a portion at your average restaurant-with-waiters in the US. Probably because they're serving you 1500 calories of food at a whack. I don't know if they're just trying to make absolutely certain that you're not going to end up wanting more food, or what the deal is. But most of the time it would be very little hardship to split a plate between two people. Of course, they charge extra for that...

My family went out to dinner last week, and I ordered grilled trout. I was expecting a filleted and boned portion, but what I got was the entire fish. They even offered to leave the head on. It wouldn't have fit on the plate if had taken them up on it. I didn't need all that food. I couldn't eat all that food. Even though that wasn't what I was really expecting to get when I ordered it, the portion size was on par with what I could get most places. It's just silly.

And to keep from entirely derailing the topic: During that same meal I was regaled with a plot summary of the movie Leap Year, which falls under the genre heading of 'romantic comedy.' Apparently it's pretty good as romantic comedies go, and strangely enough is rated PG. I can't even remember the last time I saw an advertisement for a romantic comedy that was only rated PG.
Brick Flail!

Offline Alen

• Ur-Quan Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 05, 2010, 07:59:27 am »
Some how I find that romantic comedies generally follow the same plot each time. But their better then sports movies...

Offline Draxas

• *Happy Camper*
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 08, 2010, 08:27:49 am »
Some how I find that romantic comedies generally follow the same plot each time. But their better then sports movies...

...Which ALWAYS follow the same plot each time. ::)

Offline Lukipela

• ZFP Peace Corps
  • Ur-Quan Lord
  • The Ancient One
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 08, 2010, 11:52:56 am »

...Which ALWAYS follow the same plot each time. ::)

I liked The Longest Yard. although looking it up, I learned that it was a remake. I must have a look at the original one some time.

Also Love Actually.
Round and round it goes, where it stops nobody knows

Offline Bleeding Star

• Ur-Quan Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 10, 2010, 01:51:37 am »
Speaking of sports movies, has anyone seen Invictus? I can't believe they made a movie about that. Clint Eastwood yet again proving his insensitivity and shallow grasp of history.

I recently saw "Up in the Air". Not quite the five-star masterpiece that all the reviewers are raving about, but definitely worth a watch. George Clooney is perfectly cast and the supporting cast are pretty good too. The plot twist, while not entirely unforseeable, is well excecuted and affecting.

Offline Alen

• Ur-Quan Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 10, 2010, 01:59:21 pm »
Luki: The original movie was also called The Longest Yard.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Longest_Yard_%281974_film%29

Offline Bleeding Star

• Ur-Quan Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 03, 2010, 01:44:39 am »
Just saw "Inglorious Basterds" on DVD. For some reason I expected it to be all serious and shit, being about WWII and all, but it's pretty Tarantinoey. Some fantastic, tense dialogue scenes (the opening scene, and the one meeting their contact in the bar), and some outrageous over the top violence (though not as much as one might expect). As for the historical revisionism that some are getting their panties in a twist about, eh, it's a Tarantino movie, what did you expect?

Offline Rider

• Ur-Quan Lord
    • View Profile
    • Cubicle Webcomic
« Reply #57 on: March 03, 2010, 02:25:13 am »
historical revisionism

Hehe, yeah I remember watching that film with the folks and at a certain point we just collectively went "Oh... not based on actual history then". It was pretty well near the end, I'm sure you can figure out which scene I'm talking about :)
You wish you had a signature like mine

Offline fossaman

• Ur-Quan Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 03, 2010, 04:23:42 pm »
Did it involve Hitler getting his pants blown off? Because I understand that actually happened.
Brick Flail!

Offline Bleeding Star

• Ur-Quan Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 09, 2010, 07:51:05 am »
historical revisionism

Hehe, yeah I remember watching that film with the folks and at a certain point we just collectively went "Oh... not based on actual history then". It was pretty well near the end, I'm sure you can figure out which scene I'm talking about :)

I think I might have an inkling...

It was good to see Christoph Waltz win supporting actor for his role.

I just watched "the Reader", which was pretty good, if depressing, though one wanted to punch a couple of the leading characters on a number of occassions for their rampant stupidity/cowardice/super-lameness. It did kind of have "Give me and oscar!" written all over it though - sex and Nazis and learning disabilities all together seems to be over-egging the pudding a trifle.