Author Topic: New Movies  (Read 25758 times)

Offline Kerma

• Deep Child
  • Hovering in an Obvious Attack Posture
    • View Profile
New Movies
« on: January 11, 2010, 06:11:48 pm »
What do you think of newer movies coming out? I personally enjoy the classics, but a couple movies I liked (9, Avatar)

But it seems most movies are going out like this:

I liked avatar, but it's almost funny to see the similarities.

What do you think about recent movies?
Everyone Thinks I'm crazy.
I'd like to keep the term
"Mentally Unstable".

Offline oddSTAR

• Hunam
    • View Profile
    • oddSTAR
Re: New Movies
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2010, 09:01:59 am »
Yeah, I don't get to see many movies (I have kids, ok?), but I did see Avatar and enjoyed it.  That being said, your report is very amusing, as was this article:

http://www.cnn.com/2010/SHOWBIZ/Movies/01/11/avatar.movie.blues/index.html?iref=allsearch

I do think it's interesting how much self-loathing there is in movies these days when it comes to being human, and how world destruction is such a common theme.  Yet, somehow, the fact that art reflects these things still utterly fails to inspire change in people.  What up with that?  :P

Offline Bleeding Star

• Ur-Quan Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2010, 09:49:41 am »
I'm glad you started this thread. Saves me the enormous effort of starting one myself. I saw Avatar last night and thought it was pretty awesome. Plot was servicable, acting good enough, characters entertaining, and the CG and action sequences unbelievably awesome. I'm sure one can pick apart the scientific implausibilities, one dimensional characters (loved the boo-hiss villian), derivative storyline and possible racist undertones if one wants, but I didn't give a rat's.

Offline Lukipela

• ZFP Peace Corps
  • Ur-Quan Lord
  • The Ancient One
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2010, 10:02:05 am »
I'm glad you started this thread. Saves me the enormous effort of starting one myself. I saw Avatar last night and thought it was pretty awesome. Plot was servicable, acting good enough, characters entertaining, and the CG and action sequences unbelievably awesome. I'm sure one can pick apart the scientific implausibilities, one dimensional characters (loved the boo-hiss villian), derivative storyline and possible racist undertones if one wants, but I didn't give a rat's.

I'm glad you posted that, because it saves me the effort of writing the same thing.
Round and round it goes, where it stops nobody knows

PabloLuna

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2010, 10:03:44 am »
What do you think about preserving environment?

Offline Bleeding Star

• Ur-Quan Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2010, 10:12:36 am »

What an interesting non-sequitur. Do you mean the environmental themes in the movie, or are you just trying to shit in this as-yet pristinely on-topic thread?

PabloLuna

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2010, 10:56:20 am »

What an interesting non-sequitur. Do you mean the environmental themes in the movie, or are you just trying to shit in this as-yet pristinely on-topic thread?

Avatar is about environment conservation.  So people either sorry about it, or just see it as cheap entertainment.
I presume that the acronym of 'Ship High in Transit' refers to the aerial battle in the movie (entertainment).
I may like to remark how much you promote inclusion and debate.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 11:10:16 am by PabloLuna »

Offline fossaman

• Ur-Quan Lord
  • The Fossa will rule you all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2010, 12:50:34 pm »
I for one would like to see the thread remain firmly on topic, and debating environmental conservation is not on my list of on-topic themes for this thread. Go start your own thread if you really want to.

Has anybody seen that 'Sherlock Holmes' movie yet? I kind of want to go see that. It looks like it could be fairly amusing.
Brick Flail!

Offline Eth

• ZFP Peace Corps
  • Ur-Quan Lord
  • an animal on a stick!
    • View Profile
    • Famous Battles of the Ur-Quan Conflict
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2010, 01:12:52 pm »
  My wife saw it last night.  She liked the actors, but preferred the old Basil Rathbone-style Holmes to the new Fight Club-style Holmes. 

I just saw Inglourious Basterds (or however you spell that) last night on DVD.  It was quite good overall.  Terrific cinematography.  Brad Pit's character was completely ridiculous, though.  Watching him dressed in a white smoking jacket, impersonating an Italian but with a Tennessean accent, while trying to infiltrate the Nazi High Command was simply too much to believe.  Other than that, it was rather satisfying, much more tightly-plotted than any of Tarantino's previous films. 

Offline Kerma

• Deep Child
  • Hovering in an Obvious Attack Posture
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2010, 04:03:05 pm »
Yeah, I don't get to see many movies (I have kids, ok?), but I did see Avatar and enjoyed it.  That being said, your report is very amusing, as was this article:

http://www.cnn.com/2010/SHOWBIZ/Movies/01/11/avatar.movie.blues/index.html?iref=allsearch

I do think it's interesting how much self-loathing there is in movies these days when it comes to being human, and how world destruction is such a common theme.  Yet, somehow, the fact that art reflects these things still utterly fails to inspire change in people.  What up with that?  :P

Sorry, But I can't help notice that sap in the picture who's eating a pizza all by himself.

Also, I've already read that article in a Newgrounds Thread (http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1136926/2) and all I have to say that some people just take things too seriously.
Everyone Thinks I'm crazy.
I'd like to keep the term
"Mentally Unstable".

Offline Scott_Irving

• ZFP Peace Corps
  • Ur-Quan Lord
  • XR Webmaster / PNF Deputy
    • View Profile
    • XR: The Movie Project
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2010, 04:56:36 pm »
Just a note that the "new" Sherlock character is allot closer to the original material of Sir Arthur's writing then most of the other versions.

Also, Avatar was well worth the money, if nothing else but for the eyes bleeding good CGI in 3D.
9 was also quite good.

Offline fossaman

• Ur-Quan Lord
  • The Fossa will rule you all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2010, 05:09:53 pm »
I've encountered both the Basil Rathbone Sherlock and the Conan Doyle style Sherlock. I have to say that Sir Arthur's version knows how to buckle some swash, so that could be interesting.
Brick Flail!

Offline Rider

• Ur-Quan Lord
    • View Profile
    • Cubicle Webcomic
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2010, 02:53:54 am »
Brad Pit's character was completely ridiculous, though.  Watching him dressed in a white smoking jacket, impersonating an Italian but with a Tennessean accent, while trying to infiltrate the Nazi High Command was simply too much to believe. 

Hehe, the Nazis seemed to share your opinion then, didn't they?  ;D
You wish you had a signature like mine

Offline Nuclear

• Ur-Quan Lord
  • "Da Da Da, Da Da, Da!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2010, 05:32:06 pm »
Not only was Brad Pitts charactor ridiculous, I thought the whole movie was ridiculous. It seemed like they just ripped the script off of some World war 2 fan fiction site....
Lever1: Hey, I want too push the button
Lever2: No! I want too!
Lever3: Stop whining you two!
Button: Hey Lever 3, can we switch jobs? I'm getting bored of pushing the button....
Lever3: Sweet!
Lever1/2: awww no fair!

Offline Alen

• Ur-Quan Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2010, 03:33:19 pm »
I loved Avatar, makes you want to stick it to the man!  ;)

Anyone else think that Hollywood has ran out of ideas for Horror movies? I haven't really liked any horror movies that have been made in the past few years.
And that's all I got to say about that.