4 (30.8%)
No
3 (23.1%)
Other
1 (7.7%)
whut r uz talkin bout lolz
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Author Topic: Star Control 4  (Read 14015 times)

Offline Scott_Irving

• ZFP Peace Corps
  • Ur-Quan Lord
  • XR Webmaster / PNF Deputy
    • View Profile
    • XR: The Movie Project
Re: Star Control 4
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2010, 03:35:00 pm »
indentured.. read: slave

Offline Draxas

• *Happy Camper*
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2010, 08:57:26 am »
Well, not exactly, as they're still getting paid. But we do all realize that TFB is not an independent studio anymore, and is a wholly owned subsidiary of Activision, right?

Offline gihren

• Deep Child
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2010, 08:48:12 pm »
Yeah, well that logic holds true for another Sierra game.  Earthsiege 1 and 2 are absolutely a series, I think the two Turn-based strategy games were well related too, Starsiege was much later, but still had distinct ties (though not as good, IMHO), and then Tribes was supposed to be in the same series, but had nothing to do with mechanized warfare, and was simply stated as being in the same universe.

Offline Lukipela

• ZFP Peace Corps
  • Ur-Quan Lord
  • The Ancient One
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2010, 01:54:02 am »
That's why you type define:indentured in your google search box, Angelfish. It's very handy.

Yeah, it's handy how it gives you the definition from a lot of different sites, so that you don't have to rely on one. Angelfish, if you have trouble with the English language I certainly sympathise. Learning a foreign language can be really tricky, especially when you run across words you haven't heard before. If you haven't got a dictionary handy, feel free to PM me. Ill be happy to help you with your language difficulties.

Rider, this thread didn't really have a strong subject to begin with so straying was to be expected.

Draxas, I'm not sure everyone realises that so it's good that you bring it up. It's unfortunate that the creators of SCII have to worry about feeding their families and can't just devote their entire lives to serving my needs, but I guess I can see why they've done what they've done. Working on Disney games is still better than not working at all. And the new game is supposed to be something in the vein of SC, which excites me quite a bit.
Round and round it goes, where it stops nobody knows

Offline Angelfish

• *Happy Camper*
  • Fear Boop. Run away and hide. Quickly!
    • View Profile
    • VandeDonk.nl - InsaniBlog
« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2010, 04:17:56 am »
That's why you type define:indentured in your google search box, Angelfish. It's very handy.

Yeah, it's handy how it gives you the definition from a lot of different sites, so that you don't have to rely on one. Angelfish, if you have trouble with the English language I certainly sympathise. Learning a foreign language can be really tricky, especially when you run across words you haven't heard before. If you haven't got a dictionary handy, feel free to PM me. Ill be happy to help you with your language difficulties.

This is a bit strange, I don't really have language difficulties, I work for an english company and have to talk and write with english people every working day, but when it comes to exotic words that I haven't heard before, it's difficult sometimes :). That's also why I don't participate much in those walls of text wars that occur sometimes on these forums, it's just too much effort for me.
What would you give to know the truth?

Offline Lukipela

• ZFP Peace Corps
  • Ur-Quan Lord
  • The Ancient One
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2010, 07:12:41 am »
This is a bit strange, I don't really have language difficulties, I work for an english company and have to talk and write with english people every working day, but when it comes to exotic words that I haven't heard before, it's difficult sometimes :). That's also why I don't participate much in those walls of text wars that occur sometimes on these forums, it's just too much effort for me.

Hey, don't worry. I'm sure you're great at English. I'm just saying if you need help, we'll be happy to give you a hand with the trickier words and stuff. Just trying to help you out here.

Offline Rider

• Ur-Quan Lord
    • View Profile
    • Cubicle Webcomic
« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2010, 09:38:06 am »
Rider, this thread didn't really have a strong subject to begin with so straying was to be expected.

And thus tolerated? Hmm, funny view on moderation you have ;)
You wish you had a signature like mine

Offline Sage

• Talking Pet
  • Hurm
    • View Profile
    • An Infintesimal Speck on an Inconsequential Shard of the Metaverse
« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2010, 06:40:51 pm »
No, no, no. You're doing it wrong. The answer to this is:

Let me Google that for you!

Offline Lukipela

• ZFP Peace Corps
  • Ur-Quan Lord
  • The Ancient One
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2010, 08:58:09 am »
And thus tolerated? Hmm, funny view on moderation you have ;)

that's what we moderators do. Have views on moderation. ;)

A more serious answer would be that the SCDB isn't a fascist moderatorship that is ruled with an iron hand. We'd like to get away with as little moderation as possible. If a good thread full of interesting stuff is pointlessly derailed, then we step in. If it seems that flamewars are approaching, we step in. But if a thread with a weak subject veers off course and no harm (in our opinion) is done, then we don't. No point in moderating for moderations sake, this is supposed to be a place where people can have some fun.

Offline Rider

• Ur-Quan Lord
    • View Profile
    • Cubicle Webcomic
« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2010, 04:21:17 pm »
Well I don't mean to kick up any sand, but I'd say it's a bit vague on where this line lies. The topic at hand is obviously the possibility of a new Star Control. Though the initial post/poll may not have been worded that well I'd say it's still pretty clear cut that this is the topic at hand though this here train of thought is derailing it a bit. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for a loose moderator team that asses each situation independently, but I do feel there needs to be consistency in when a mod does and does not intervene and to me that particular distinction isn't entirely clear.

In my opinion, if rules are to be enforced it had best be clear when these rules are and are not applicable. It creates clarity on what is and is not okay, especially on such subjective situations like topic drift.

Anyway, in order not to derail this topic any further, I hope we can take this either into a new topic, or into PM.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 04:24:32 pm by Rider »
You wish you had a signature like mine

Offline Eth

• ZFP Peace Corps
  • Ur-Quan Lord
  • an animal on a stick!
    • View Profile
    • Famous Battles of the Ur-Quan Conflict
« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2010, 08:48:42 pm »
Fine.  Everyone in this thread gets an unofficial warning for being naughty.  Better?  And I'll lock the thread to make things even clearer.