Author Topic: 2010 on the Pages of Now and Forever  (Read 6073 times)

Offline Lukipela

• ZFP Peace Corps
  • Ur-Quan Lord
  • The Ancient One
    • View Profile
2010 on the Pages of Now and Forever
« on: January 02, 2010, 09:29:55 am »
Hey folks,

So it's 2010. 2009 is old news and we're standing here awaiting the brave new future. I'm sure you're all dying to know, what will the future bring for the Pages of Now and Forever? Or better yet, what will the future bring for Star Control? Let's have a look shall we?

First off, PNF will continue on the new course. We've relaunched a skeleton site, and we're working hard on putting in content, both new and old. Last year saw the Music pages, the mods pages and many other interesting things here. This year, we will hopefully be able to bring back even more old content and intersperse it with new and exciting stuff. For instance, this year we hope to get both a page of simple resources for potential game-makers and the art pages up. The SCDB will feel the wind of change as well, as no place can hide from the ravages of time. Above everything, we will continue on the course we've set. 2009 saw more news posts, more content, definitely more comics and more active users than the SCDB and PNF has seen in a long time. We're still rolling and hope that the changes we are bringing will do even more to make the SC community flourish.

But enough about us What about Star Control in general? One of the big things going on right now is the Campaign for a new Star Control. This initiative was launched by meep-eep over at UQM.  To shamelessly steal his words:

"It's been about a year now since Toys For Bob started working on their current game. As I understand it, this project is to be finished in the summer of 2010. This means that we should be starting to think about what we can do to convince Activision to let TFB create a new Star Control as their next project."

In addition to the thread over at UQM, a page has been opened over at the Ultronomicon as well. If you think you can help here, then you should. This may well be our last, best chnce for a sequel by TFB. Sound the trumpets and ready yourselves, it's time to give it your best.

But there's other Star Control stuff going on as well. The mod 7 deadly sins for  the game Sins of a Solar empire will doubtless continue to add SC races to it's already impressive roster. Cedric6014 will continue working on his grand mod for UQM, which seems to be going well. He is still looking for artists though, so if you can help out he'll be glad to have you. That Ur-Quan Master will hopefully return from hiatus in just a little while. And of course, Groombridge Log is still on track and will hopefully grace us with a second issue during the first or second quarter of this year.

And there's more. I keep my ear to the ground, and I hear that there are at least a couple of other interesting projects out there that hope to release some material this year. Until there's something to show these folks have opted to stay quiet, but it seems this year might be the year they show us some neat stuff.

So 2010 does look set to be a really good year. Let's all keep our thumbs crossed and hope for the best. In the meantime, let's keep our communities active. the more people talking about SC there is, the better our chances of getting something done.

Lukipela

EDIT: Fixed a failed link, thanks to Zeracles for pointing it out!
« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 12:24:22 am by Lukipela »
Round and round it goes, where it stops nobody knows

Offline Nuclear

• Ur-Quan Lord
  • "Da Da Da, Da Da, Da!"
    • View Profile
Re: 2010 on the Pages of Now and Forever
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2010, 10:58:30 am »
Wow! Seems like StarControls a lot more active than Xcom at the moment, keep up the good work everyone! Speaking of 'good work', I'm still stuck on the Earthling Cruiser in my ship guide. Some tips would be appreciated. After all, you'll get a spot in my almost esteemed special thanks list ;)
Lever1: Hey, I want too push the button
Lever2: No! I want too!
Lever3: Stop whining you two!
Button: Hey Lever 3, can we switch jobs? I'm getting bored of pushing the button....
Lever3: Sweet!
Lever1/2: awww no fair!

Offline 2-23-6

• Deep Child
  • Aagh!I want to stop them, but my hands are tied.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2010, 03:13:29 pm »
I think we're forgetting the fact that this year marks 20 years since Star control 1. Or do I have my dates mixed up and it was 1991?

Offline Eth

• ZFP Peace Corps
  • Ur-Quan Lord
  • an animal on a stick!
    • View Profile
    • Famous Battles of the Ur-Quan Conflict
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2010, 03:32:31 pm »
  You're right.  July 1990, I believe.

Offline Lukipela

• ZFP Peace Corps
  • Ur-Quan Lord
  • The Ancient One
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2010, 03:34:24 am »
I think we're forgetting the fact that this year marks 20 years since Star control 1. Or do I have my dates mixed up and it was 1991?

Cool. So this would be a very good year for projects to come to fruition then :)

PabloLuna

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2010, 10:09:32 am »
20 years?  I thought it was yesterday... Darn, I am old then... ;D

Offline sakalava47

• Hunam
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2010, 11:57:19 am »
I think that Activision might be convinced to do a remake of Star Control I.  That will let them concentrate on the less risky and more simple combat game and if that is successful, then remake Star Control II (with full funding, modern graphics and all the stuff that got edited out of the original).  And then with the series fully resurrected, a real SC III can be made.

Offline Leethul

• Hunam
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2010, 06:31:20 pm »
  So I'm working for an Activision studio right next door to Activision HQ in Santa Monica, I've been sitting here fantasizing about walking right in there and shmoozing the right exec into getting Toys for Bob to make another SC....keep dreaming I guess.  :'(

It seems to me like doing a sweet, low key, retro top down style, XBL/PSN downloadable would be low risk enough to do and still make a great sequel or remake. Lower budget, smaller team. Same great story and space exploration experience. The legacy fanbase alone would be enough to justify the production.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 06:37:33 pm by Leethul »

Offline Nuclear

• Ur-Quan Lord
  • "Da Da Da, Da Da, Da!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2010, 06:50:00 pm »
Wow! That would be awesome!
Lever1: Hey, I want too push the button
Lever2: No! I want too!
Lever3: Stop whining you two!
Button: Hey Lever 3, can we switch jobs? I'm getting bored of pushing the button....
Lever3: Sweet!
Lever1/2: awww no fair!

Offline Sage

• Talking Pet
  • Hurm
    • View Profile
    • An Infintesimal Speck on an Inconsequential Shard of the Metaverse
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2010, 11:42:07 pm »
THIS MUST HAPPEN!

Although seriously, if you have any desire to make this a reality, it might be a good idea to start by introducing your coworkers to UQM. You don't need to directly take your fantasy by the horns. Just toss a snowball down a hill and watch it become an avalanche. Not only will you come off as less crazy by comparison, you'll have the voices of others backing you up.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 11:44:48 pm by Sage »

Offline Lukipela

• ZFP Peace Corps
  • Ur-Quan Lord
  • The Ancient One
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2010, 01:41:53 am »
Sage makes a good point. If we can saturate Activision HQ with UQM, that might help us a lot. Just let people know about it, burn it on some discs and leve it in the coffee room, bribe the IT department to remote install it on every computer in the building, that kind of thing.