Author Topic: The Pissed Off Megathread  (Read 55102 times)

Offline Lukipela

• ZFP Peace Corps
  • Ur-Quan Lord
  • The Ancient One
    • View Profile
Re: The Pissed Off Megathread
« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2009, 05:26:19 am »
Sorry all, I launched into "help Sedodes" mode even though that wasn't the thrust of this thread.

Or that's what he'd have you think ;) While I don't agree fully with Eth on the "soul corroding" properties of marriage and how it inhibits your masterpieces, I do agree that it forces you to compromise. There's not enough hours in the day to do everything. So you have to think of what to do, and when. Sometimes you do your stuff, sometimes you do stuff together. Finding a balance is always tricky.

I'm pissed off that the snow outside appears to be melting the day before Christmas Eve. We've not have snow for Christmas for years, so I was really excited. And now it's all melting away :(
Round and round it goes, where it stops nobody knows

Offline Zeracles

• Talking Pet
  • Icon of X
    • View Profile
    • Me
« Reply #31 on: December 23, 2009, 05:57:07 am »
I'm pissed off at the galaxy distribution. It has these massive voids that give my density estimator dynamic range issues. It also has filaments that give my contouring routine headaches because it then goes and joins all the clusters togther. It always throws up some oddity that forces me to take a step back and devise yet another solution and write yet more code to step around the issue.

Stupid universe >:(

Good thing it's been freezing
That sounds wonderful, I'm happy for you :P

I'm pissed that we had a foot & a half of snow dumped on us this weekend.
I'm slightly pissed that I've never experienced real snow, but not about the fact I don't have to suffer through blizzards over christmas.

gets angry when I type online
Is this a new thing, or did she never see you making one of those 3700 posts before you got married?

Plus 1 karma to Dragon. Cant believe he's opnly on 2. That pisses me off!
I can totally believe it because karma's a shitty system. Oh, +1 Dragon and Nuclear. Also pissed I don't have the lowest karma around here goto -100

the wind, which was driving the rain pretty much horizontally, picked up one of the heavy metal air pumps and flung it into my car.
I'll remember that next time I'm pissed because I spilt petrol on the paint (it happened today) after filling 'er up ;D
« Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 07:37:53 am by Zeracles »
Fear not the Arch Viles and Spectres of the Deepest Reaches, for the X is strong in this place.

In my next life I would like to be a pootworm. ANNIGILATE ME!

Offline Alen

• Ur-Quan Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 23, 2009, 08:40:17 am »
Im pissed off about the Karma system?
And that's all I got to say about that.

Offline Rider

• Ur-Quan Lord
    • View Profile
    • Cubicle Webcomic
« Reply #33 on: December 23, 2009, 03:56:40 pm »
That pissed me off. Annigilated!
You wish you had a signature like mine

Offline Eth

• ZFP Peace Corps
  • Ur-Quan Lord
  • an animal on a stick!
    • View Profile
    • Famous Battles of the Ur-Quan Conflict
« Reply #34 on: December 23, 2009, 05:34:56 pm »
  I'm pissed at the U.S. Senate for basically ruining the Health Care Reform bill.  I'm trying to think of ANYTHING they've done right in my lifetime. 

Offline Lukipela

• ZFP Peace Corps
  • Ur-Quan Lord
  • The Ancient One
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 26, 2009, 12:46:24 am »
  I'm pissed at the U.S. Senate for basically ruining the Health Care Reform bill.  I'm trying to think of ANYTHING they've done right in my lifetime. 

Wait, didn't they pass a Health Care Reform bill? I'm pissed and/or confused.

Offline Eth

• ZFP Peace Corps
  • Ur-Quan Lord
  • an animal on a stick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 26, 2009, 01:03:17 am »
  Yeah, they passed it after I posted the above.  It was pretty badly neutered, though.  We'll see what happens when they reconcile the Senate bill with the House of Representatives' bill. 

Offline Nuclear

• Ur-Quan Lord
  • "Da Da Da, Da Da, Da!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 26, 2009, 09:37:23 am »
Is it not true that all those health care people blew their budget on swine flu things?
Lever1: Hey, I want too push the button
Lever2: No! I want too!
Lever3: Stop whining you two!
Button: Hey Lever 3, can we switch jobs? I'm getting bored of pushing the button....
Lever3: Sweet!
Lever1/2: awww no fair!

Offline Eth

• ZFP Peace Corps
  • Ur-Quan Lord
  • an animal on a stick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 26, 2009, 04:54:16 pm »
What?

Offline Lukipela

• ZFP Peace Corps
  • Ur-Quan Lord
  • The Ancient One
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 26, 2009, 11:47:31 pm »
Assuming you're talking about us Europeans, no. But I really don't have a clue what you're talking about, try and be slightly more specific.

Offline Nuclear

• Ur-Quan Lord
  • "Da Da Da, Da Da, Da!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 27, 2009, 09:26:08 am »
Oh, well I assumed anything with "health care" in it was some how tied in with all that swine flu hysteria and about how much money the government are spending on it. I just realised how random that is, sorry for the confusion. :(

I'm pissed off because this Windows 7 Starter netbook doesn't even let you change your desktop background. I mean, I like the nostalgia factor of the boring light navy screen but it's kind of well, boring...
« Last Edit: December 27, 2009, 09:30:36 am by Nuclear »
Lever1: Hey, I want too push the button
Lever2: No! I want too!
Lever3: Stop whining you two!
Button: Hey Lever 3, can we switch jobs? I'm getting bored of pushing the button....
Lever3: Sweet!
Lever1/2: awww no fair!

Offline Eth

• ZFP Peace Corps
  • Ur-Quan Lord
  • an animal on a stick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 27, 2009, 12:22:50 pm »
  I'm pissed off because Nuclear obviously hasn't picked up a newspaper in weeks.   ;)

Offline Sedodes

• Ur-Quan Lord
  • Ironic self-hating narcissist superhero!
    • View Profile
    • Clickity
« Reply #42 on: December 28, 2009, 02:14:51 am »
Maybe you'd be happier if you'd, y'know, grow a pair.  I tried to explain to you some years ago the soul-corroding compromises involved in daily intimacy with another person, but you were appalled by what I was saying.  If this observation pisses you off, well, you're in good company in this thread. 

@Eth - what do you mean?  Linkie?

@Sage - no, she didn't see my thousands of posts on a computer game forum.  I told her, though.

Also, I tried "I DO WHAT I WANT, WOMAN!" very recently in fact.  Didn't lead to good things (essentially, us screaming mere inches from each others' faces).

Her main gripe is that I don't do enough housework even though I'm gone 4 days per week for work, clean up after myself when I'm home, and take care of the stepson on days when she's at work.  She has this crazy idea that I'm indebted/obligated to live up to her standards (hates my pizza deliver job BTW, "not enough ambition").  She bitches that I don't really "do" anything except work and play on the computer.  She seems to have forgotten that I this was my MO for over a decade before I met her, having more friends online than offline, and I was perfectly happy.  The joy of simplicity.  She's ruining my happiness soup by saying it's too bland and trying to force me to add spices!  What do I do?

Goddamn, even writing about this shit is pissing me off.
In a world where one man could change the world,
One man changed the world!

WORLD CHANGER: CHANGER OF WORLDS

The day the world changed
Will be known as the day that changed the world

SPRING 2010

Offline Lukipela

• ZFP Peace Corps
  • Ur-Quan Lord
  • The Ancient One
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 28, 2009, 07:49:43 am »
A few questions against my better judgement. Not trying to get you more pissed off, although that would certainly be keeping with the theme of this thread.

Her main gripe is that I don't do enough housework even though I'm gone 4 days per week for work,

When you say "gone four days a week", what do you actually mean? Are you actually physically not present at home for four days, or are you implying that you work four days a week? If it's the first, I can certainly understand that you can't do much housework during those days. If it's the second, I'm not sure why you think being at work relieves you of household duties unless you're working some sort of ridiculous 14 h/ day shifts.

clean up after myself when I'm home,

This always pissed me off when I had flatmate. Unless you have some sort of scientific method of proving which dust bunnies are yours and which aren't, there's no such thing as cleaning up only after yourself in a shared household. I also assume you've accepted some sort of responsibility for the kid, so even if you do manage to determine which windows you have smudged on the outside, you need to take care of half of the mess he makes, right?

and take care of the stepson on days when she's at work.

Just out of curiosity, how does that work? If you work four days a week, does she only work three?

She has this crazy idea that I'm indebted/obligated to live up to her standards

I think that marrying someone means that you do have to take the other's standards into account. Not so that you slavishly have to follow hers, but so that you need to take them somewhat into account. That works the other way as well though. Is she living up to your standards? It sounds like your both failing to take the other persons opinions into account. Might be a good place to work a discussion from.

(hates my pizza deliver job BTW, "not enough ambition").  She bitches that I don't really "do" anything except work and play on the computer.  She seems to have forgotten that I this was my MO for over a decade before I met her, having more friends online than offline, and I was perfectly happy.  The joy of simplicity.  She's ruining my happiness soup by saying it's too bland and trying to force me to add spices!

What about all the work on your house? What about writing on your books? What about working on the car? And what about her? What does she do other than smoke dope and hang out with people who molest her feet?

What do I do?

Well, talking to us is pretty pointless. You're just venting frustration at people who, while somewhat sympathetic, cant change your situation in any way. What you need to do is man up, talk to your wife and be reasonable. Try looking at the situation as an outsider. Are you pulling your part of the load? Is she? Does she have unjust expectations on you? Do you unfairly expect her to accept a status quo she isn't comfortable with? You're both supposed to be adults. Communicate as such.

Anyway spending too much time writing on the internet pisses me off. I guess things do change eh?

Offline Eth

• ZFP Peace Corps
  • Ur-Quan Lord
  • an animal on a stick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 28, 2009, 11:17:29 am »
@Eth - what do you mean?  Linkie?
Female Warning Label.

Also, I tried "I DO WHAT I WANT, WOMAN!" very recently in fact.  Didn't lead to good things (essentially, us screaming mere inches from each others' faces).
  Oo, they hate it when you call them Woman, and they hate it when you shout.   :)  I just write down on the calendar when I'm going out to do some hobby-related thing ("Gaming, Chad's House, 7 PM").  She can't argue with the calendar; it's written in black and white!  Don't make it a big fucking break for independence; just schedule something and make sure she knows about it.  "I'm doing such-and-such at this time.  I won't be available for anything else during this time."  If she starts screaming at you, just ignore her, or walk away, and repeat, "I'm doing such-and-such at this time.  I won't be available for anything else during this time."  I find that it works even better if you ask her in advance if she has any plans for the time in question. 

Her main gripe is that I don't do enough housework even though I'm gone 4 days per week for work, clean up after myself when I'm home, and take care of the stepson on days when she's at work.
  In my experience, if a woman says a man isn't doing enough housework, he usually isn't doing enough housework.  I'd give on this one.  Offer to do some unpleasant weekly task like cleaning the bathroom or taking out the trash, and she'll probably get off your back.  A small investment of time can pay big dividends, harmony-wise. 

She has this crazy idea that I'm indebted/obligated to live up to her standards (hates my pizza deliver job BTW, "not enough ambition").
Are you making enough money to support her and little Dweezle?  If so, she needs to mind her own business.  If not, and her job is necessary to keep the family in fish-sticks, then she may have a point.  If her objection is that Deliverators are hopelessly lower-class, then you should give her a copy of Snow Crash so she can understand how glamorous and exciting the job really is. 

She bitches that I don't really "do" anything except work and play on the computer.  She seems to have forgotten that I this was my MO for over a decade before I met her, having more friends online than offline, and I was perfectly happy.  The joy of simplicity.  She's ruining my happiness soup by saying it's too bland and trying to force me to add spices!  What do I do?
  This is where the ethical compromises in my link above come in.  In order to "make the relationship work" you need to lie.  Lie about being happy when you're not (for instance, when she drags you to the flower show, or some shit).  Lie about being interested when you're not.  Lie and tell her she looks great in that dress. 

Maintaining civility is the keystone to a good marriage, IMO.  Once you've abandoned civility, it can be difficult to regain it.  If you guys can't discuss your issues without screaming at each other and throwing things, you might want to consider some sort of third-party mediator like a family therapist or someone.  I know it sounds silly, but a session or two might do you guys some good. 

If you're considering divorce, DO IT BEFORE YOU HAVE KIDS, FOR GOD'S SAKE!! 

OK, that's all I can think of today.  Good luck, Sedodes.