Author Topic: The Pissed Off Megathread  (Read 55164 times)

Offline Lukipela

• ZFP Peace Corps
  • Ur-Quan Lord
  • The Ancient One
    • View Profile
Re: The Pissed Off Megathread
« Reply #180 on: February 25, 2010, 12:10:07 pm »
It's an odd thing really, when you think about it. In no other media is it all right to remove offensive/criminal media after it's been added and have no repercussions. If you let anonymous people edit your newspaper before you distribute it and there's racism in it, you'll still be responsible. If you let people anonymous people add video live on television and they advocate genovide on camera, it's not all right to just say "whoops, their bad". In every other media, the publisher is responsible for everything they publish. Sure, the racist guy advocating genocide is guilty of that, but that doesn't mean the paper/publisher gets off scot free.

It doesn't piss me off, but it is odd. Much like Dabirs coat. Do you have a picture of it? A make or a model?
Round and round it goes, where it stops nobody knows

Offline Dabir

• Talking Pet
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: February 25, 2010, 01:08:55 pm »
Well there's 2 major differences here: Firstly, the sheer volume of input that comes into Google video every day. You can't reasonably be expected to pre-vet all that. TV programme makers and newspaper article writers/editors are working on one thing at a time, and have time to check out what their contributors are saying.

Secondly, the ease of correction. In the newspapers, you can't exactly go out and recall every copy of that issue and replace it with an updated one. On TV, you control the distribution, and people will be watching at one specific time or have to wait for the repeats, which again you can hold off until it's corrected, but everyone will still see the same thing, ie the racism. With google video, you have no guarantee that everyone saw the video at the same time, with the same content, and by taking it down you prevent a lot more people from seeing it, whereas on TV they'd have seen it if they were going to; you've already done maximum damage.

Don't ask me where stuff like BBC iPlayer fits into this.

And no, I don't have a picture of my coat. It's an ancient Burberry one, with a bit of added trimming around the sleeves and the bottom.

Offline Zeracles

• Talking Pet
  • Icon of X
    • View Profile
    • Me
« Reply #182 on: February 25, 2010, 05:12:10 pm »
It pisses me off that people still care whether we caused global warming or not. It's already happening, stop pointing fingers and start finding ways to ameliorate the problem.
Knowing which industrial pricks are most responsible would be quite practical; as our continents sink I would like to know who to throw overboard first.

I'm pissed off that snow. Again. Now. And I've bought a second hat. And it's going to get covered in snow.

HATE.
I once went to a school at which we wore straw boaters (like wearing a saucepan) that would partially dissolve when they got wet. Snow would have been bad. It would have pissed me off, in fact.

I hate having to close the store, go home and sleep for five hours, and then come back and open the store!
What about sleeping in the store? No shortage of bedtime reading!

I bike to work. What with the amazing snowstorms Sweden has been having, it's been a challenge. and this morning it was -22 C. It's only three kilometres or so, but it was still a bit chilly. Seeing my co-workers all warm after their car rides pissed me of. but then I chuckled as I realized they'll die of obesity long after I get run over on the roads...
I agree, dying of obesity would be a worse fate than getting run over, but I reckon it's more likely you'll freeze on the way.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 05:19:31 pm by Zeracles »
Fear not the Arch Viles and Spectres of the Deepest Reaches, for the X is strong in this place.

In my next life I would like to be a pootworm. ANNIGILATE ME!

Offline Eth

• ZFP Peace Corps
  • Ur-Quan Lord
  • an animal on a stick!
    • View Profile
    • Famous Battles of the Ur-Quan Conflict
« Reply #183 on: February 26, 2010, 12:57:48 am »
  Having to deal with the Family Medical Leave Act's retarded paperwork pisses me off!  Can hardly wait to be self-employed full-time!

Offline Draxas

• *Happy Camper*
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: February 27, 2010, 01:33:05 pm »
I'm pissed that mother nature seems to want to expel us from this planet. Between the near-constant snowstorms in the northeast US (and supposedly we're supposed to get a mind-boggling 47" storm on 3/7, because we needed more snow), the earthquakes in Haiti and Chile, and the tsunami that's supposed to obliterate Hawaii any minute now, it seems like maybe the environment is trying to let us know that we've overstayed our welcome.

Offline Lukipela

• ZFP Peace Corps
  • Ur-Quan Lord
  • The Ancient One
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: February 28, 2010, 11:45:43 am »
 Having to deal with the Family Medical Leave Act's retarded paperwork pisses me off!  Can hardly wait to be self-employed full-time!

It pisses me off that someone in your family apparently is unwell. Do you actually have to fill out paperwork for that? Here you can be home with a sick child for three days with full pay, after that you need a doctors waiver and such. But healthcare is free, so it's pretty easy to get.

it seems like maybe the environment is trying to let us know that we've overstayed our welcome.

Yeah, a card would be enough. It pisses me off how much people whine about the weather here in Scandinavia though. For the last ten years everyone has been moaning about how we never have proper winters any more and how grey and drab it is. Now that there is a proper winter, it's just "too much". I don't like bicycling in this weather, but other than that I think it's 100% awesome.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2010, 11:47:36 am by Lukipela »
Round and round it goes, where it stops nobody knows

Offline Eth

• ZFP Peace Corps
  • Ur-Quan Lord
  • an animal on a stick!
    • View Profile
    • Famous Battles of the Ur-Quan Conflict
« Reply #186 on: February 28, 2010, 02:42:42 pm »
 Having to deal with the Family Medical Leave Act's retarded paperwork pisses me off!  Can hardly wait to be self-employed full-time!

It pisses me off that someone in your family apparently is unwell. Do you actually have to fill out paperwork for that? Here you can be home with a sick child for three days with full pay, after that you need a doctors waiver and such. But healthcare is free, so it's pretty easy to get.

Well, I just need my doctor to fill out the paperwork for my employer, but they made a mistake, and now my employer is threatening me, so I have to go BACK to the doctor, and get it fixed, and it's all such a hassle. 

Offline Sage

• Talking Pet
  • Hurm
    • View Profile
    • An Infintesimal Speck on an Inconsequential Shard of the Metaverse
« Reply #187 on: March 01, 2010, 01:45:17 pm »
I'm pissed off that sage changed his avatar and I didn't notice until now.

Damn, being married really eats into your internet life.

I'm pissed off that I wasn't able to read this until today.

Damn, being married really eats into your internet life.

Also, I'm not in the Starcraft 2 beta at this time. This pisses me off.

Neither am I. We are now pissed off not-Starcraft 2 Beta buddies!

Also, on the current topic, the US medical system pisses me off. The type of bullshit paperwork and bosses threatening to fire you over shit like what Eth is describing is a lot more common than one would like. Insurance companies are probably my biggest sticking point in the whole thing. We pay them all this money for what we presume is some kind of "service", but what do we get for that money? They fight us tooth and nail to avoid spending any of it, even when the whole goddamn purpose of the system is to have the money available when it's needed (or at least, that's what they tell you).
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 01:55:01 pm by Sage »

Offline Draxas

• *Happy Camper*
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: March 01, 2010, 02:42:16 pm »
Insurance is a gamble that you are going to get sick. The House (insurance company) is betting on you staying well. Of course, since they write the rules, payouts may vary when you win, if they decide not to ragequit and drop your coverage.

The whole system pisses me off as well.

Offline Nuclear

• Ur-Quan Lord
  • "Da Da Da, Da Da, Da!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: March 04, 2010, 11:01:12 pm »
I just bought a new 8 gigabyte SD card for 30 bucks {Awesome deal} and when I got home to put it in my camera, it didn't fit. It was a matter of my own stupidity and that pisses me off!
Lever1: Hey, I want too push the button
Lever2: No! I want too!
Lever3: Stop whining you two!
Button: Hey Lever 3, can we switch jobs? I'm getting bored of pushing the button....
Lever3: Sweet!
Lever1/2: awww no fair!