Author Topic: Games other then StarCon "gasp!"  (Read 13493 times)

Offline Alen

• Ur-Quan Lord
    • View Profile
Re: Games other then StarCon "gasp!"
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2009, 05:15:12 pm »
Theres no sense of humour here is there...

Not when it involves SC remakes!  ;)
And that's all I got to say about that.

Offline Nuclear

• Ur-Quan Lord
  • "Da Da Da, Da Da, Da!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2009, 08:53:41 pm »
Ah well...BTW, I was playing StarCon the other day building up my invincible renagade Androsynth when I thought: which scenario has the most artifacts?
Lever1: Hey, I want too push the button
Lever2: No! I want too!
Lever3: Stop whining you two!
Button: Hey Lever 3, can we switch jobs? I'm getting bored of pushing the button....
Lever3: Sweet!
Lever1/2: awww no fair!

Offline Dabir

• Talking Pet
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2009, 11:42:10 am »
It is not StarCon. You say StarCon you are wrong, it is Star Control. StarCon is failure, attempt at cashing in for PS1, Star Control is the game that is win that started the whole thing. I have not an answer to your question, but clarification is good and right. And that is contrary to the topic anyway, I see that the idea is for other than Star Control.

Gradius as a series is fun, but especially Gradius Gaiden for PSX, the one with the 4 different ships. Gradius Galaxies/Generations/Advance is also Gradius, but less fun, the soundtrack is poor and general gameplay and weapon design lacklustre.

Offline Eth

• ZFP Peace Corps
  • Ur-Quan Lord
  • an animal on a stick!
    • View Profile
    • Famous Battles of the Ur-Quan Conflict
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2009, 11:59:20 am »
Oh, we always called Star Control "Starcon."  STARCON.EXE was the original executable. 

Offline Nuclear

• Ur-Quan Lord
  • "Da Da Da, Da Da, Da!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2009, 02:34:42 pm »
Exactly, now does anyone know the answer to my question?
Button: Hey Lever 3, can we switch jobs? I'm getting bored of pushing the button....

Offline Eth

• ZFP Peace Corps
  • Ur-Quan Lord
  • an animal on a stick!
    • View Profile
    • Famous Battles of the Ur-Quan Conflict
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2009, 05:53:34 pm »
No idea.  The only way to know would be to look in the original scenario files, but many of mine have been overwritten with custom scenarios over the years. 

Offline Smoke353

• Talking Pet
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2009, 06:11:21 pm »
Exactly, now does anyone know the answer to my question?

You could just go play them all...
How is it that I can beat the Sa-Matra with one Fury, but I can't beat a Marauder with an Avatar?

Offline Dragon

• Talking Pet
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2009, 11:21:14 am »
So I was looking at someones Ruff 'n Tumble WIP which reminded me that there are a few remakes that go above an beyond the call of duty.

What I'm blathering about is Hurrican; not so much a remake as a tribute to Turrican the C64 classic.  Released the same year as Star Control it was a mind blowing technical accomplishment and still fun - though difficult - to play.  Hurrican's the same basic game, just dragged kicking and screaming into 2007.  If you liked the original and haven't played this then give it a go.  Hell, give it a go anyway (unless you like your shooters on the quiet side of manic).

I was thinking of putting this in the "games of comparable quality" thread - I've probably spent more time on Turrican than I have on both Star Controls combined - but decided it was maybe a little to subjective...

Offline Angelfish

• *Happy Camper*
  • Fear Boop. Run away and hide. Quickly!
    • View Profile
    • VandeDonk.nl - InsaniBlog
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2009, 12:07:46 pm »
Oh yes I remember Turrican, a great platform game. I still remember a level where you had to kill a giant piranha, and the part where you start flying upwards with the great music playing :). The music in Turrican is extremely good by the way :).
What would you give to know the truth?

Offline Dabir

• Talking Pet
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2009, 12:22:18 pm »
Curse your psychicness, I was playing Turrican just now. Mega Turrican mind.

Offline Nuclear

• Ur-Quan Lord
  • "Da Da Da, Da Da, Da!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2009, 02:01:16 pm »
*Hmmph*, never heard of that game till now. BTW, does anyone in this fine forum play Origin games like Crusader or WingCommander? They are some of the greatest Sci-fi`s next to StarControl itself. Another great game is Xcom: UFO Defense and for that matter; Jagged Alliance: Deadly games.

Offline Dabir

• Talking Pet
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2010, 01:55:11 pm »
Game I've been playing recently (a lot) is Sacred Gold. Hacknslash action is pretty fun, love the dodging mechanic, and if you want to storm straight through there's a character that does that AND won't stop referencing Lord of the Rings. Mind you, the interface was designed by a cryptozoologist on drugs, and the manual was clearly written based on the build before it which was designed by a sensible person. Good luck finding any explanation of some of the bonuses - one piece of equipment I found claimed it gave me a boost of "Split +2%". Whatever the hell that means. Also, there's a wiki, but people only seem to fill in the information for the sequel, and even places like GameFAQs leave it woefully underdocumented. Ah well, it's pretty fun.