Author Topic: Spacewar! Legacy and History...  (Read 2641 times)

Offline Chad

• Evil One
  • Ur-Quan Lord
  • PNF Webmaster
    • View Profile
    • The Pages of Now and Forever
Spacewar! Legacy and History...
« on: August 12, 2009, 08:38:54 am »
Recently there has been some Star Control themed content that popped up on the Internet.  Matt Chat 24: Star Control II and the Spacewar Legacy is a good video summary of Star Control and how it is a descendant of the original video game, Spacewar!.  Star Controller Anthony also recently had a great post with additional information from Matt.

Any Star Control fan can't deny the similarities of Star Control Melee combat and Spacewar!.  I actually played Star Control 1 first before discovering and moving on to Star Control 2.  Thus, the melee battle mechanics have always been a soft spot for me.  I recently also noticed a good article about the history of Spacewar! on Gamasutra.

The Spacewar! article is a perfect segueway from the Matt Chat video because it is an excerpt from Matt Barton's book titled "Vintage Games".

Of special note from the Gamasutra article, it mentions a game titled Orbit by Atari.  The article states that one of the ships looks like "a Klingon Bird of Prey from Star Trek".  While that may be true, the ship also looks a lot like a VUX Intruder to me :)  Did anyone else know about this slight connection/reference between Orbit and Star Control?  The article says of Orbit, "The game wasn't a hit and is rarely spoken of today...".

Link dump:

Matt Chat 24: Star Control II and the Spacewar Legacy
Feature: The History Of Spacewar!
The History of Spacewar!: The Best Waste of Time in the History of the Universe
Star Controller on Matt Chat 24: Star Control II and the Spacewar Legacy
Spacewar! on Wikipedia
Vintage Games Book
« Last Edit: August 13, 2009, 07:19:56 am by Chad »
"...Dogar And Kazon Clack Their Mandibles Against One Another And Snicker With Amusement."

Offline Eth

• ZFP Peace Corps
  • Ur-Quan Lord
  • an animal on a stick!
    • View Profile
    • Famous Battles of the Ur-Quan Conflict
Re: Spacewar! Legacy and History...
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2009, 09:40:57 am »
  Was that 3D animated movie near the beginning of the Matt Chat from the 3DO version? 

Offline Chad

• Evil One
  • Ur-Quan Lord
  • PNF Webmaster
    • View Profile
    • The Pages of Now and Forever
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2009, 10:17:31 am »
Yep, it was from 3DO.  I'll put back up those movie files on the site soon.
"...Dogar And Kazon Clack Their Mandibles Against One Another And Snicker With Amusement."

Offline Rider

• Ur-Quan Lord
    • View Profile
    • Cubicle Webcomic
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2009, 07:44:54 pm »
Y'know... that other ship from Orbit actually looks a lot like a Human Cruiser as well...
You wish you had a signature like mine