Author Topic: Plants Vs Zombies  (Read 2374 times)

Offline Rider

• Ur-Quan Lord
    • View Profile
    • Cubicle Webcomic
Plants Vs Zombies
« on: June 15, 2009, 03:30:33 pm »
Linkage!

So has anyone else here played it?

I gotta say, I was expecting something cute that you play when you have a few minutes to waste much like Popcap's infamous Diamond Mine (called Bejeweled now, apparently). I was surprised to find that's not entirely the case! While it does allow you to just jump in and play a level or so, if you stick around you'll find that there's a lot more depth to the game. There's the different game modes, the puzzles and the awesome "lay-back-and-relax" Zen Garden mode. I've already spent more time on this game just to get those nocturnal plants to a place where they can flourish!

But, let's talk basics for a bit.

The idea of Plants Vs Zombies is that Zombies are attacking your house, with the intent of consuming your brain. The only way to prevent them from doing that is to plant a defensive force in your yard (or in your pool, or on the roof, depending on the level). It plays a bit like a tower defense game at the start, but once you start delving deeper you'll find that there's actually a lot of strategy involved. You only have so many spots to place your plants. So will you place a Peashooter there, or perhaps a Wall-Nut? Or maybe keep it open in case you need someplace to put your CherryBomb if things get too crowded?

It's also a lot of fun to, in the 'survival' mode, try to find the perfect defense composition. I already found out that my tried-and-true failed me miserably once the Zombies start digging under your plants, or simply floating over your defenses with balloons. So that's something I'll need to revise.

But there's a lot to do. A bunch of stuff to unlock by gathering money in the various gamemodes so there's a lot of incentive to go back and play some more (because, honestly, the plants in your Zen Garden deserve that Gramophone player, right?)

All of this goodness is wrapped in a pretty package. The graphics are bright and appealing. The music's not too in-your face but it's very nice and has it's moments (especially when your screen gets overrun by the Zombie horde) and the entire design just reeks of parody. There's an almanac for the plants and zombies you've discovered so far and if the zombie designs alone won't elicit a grin or smirk, then their flavor text will!

Don't take my word for it though, there's a free trial at the link above that lets you play the game for an hour before you'll need to LEGALLY ACQUIRE a copy of the full game. It doesn't quite bring across the whole 'metagame' but it's a taste at least :)
You wish you had a signature like mine

Offline Shiver

• Talking Pet
    • View Profile
Re: Plants Vs Zombies
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2009, 03:56:19 pm »
That game is fantastic. The free trial almost doesn't do it justice because those early levels are so easy. You can blow through the game pretty fast, but it's only $10. If you like Plants vs. Zombies you should think about getting Defense Grid too.

The Zen Garden, however, is not fantastic. That and the Tree of Wisdom are pointless grind points.

Offline Lukipela

• ZFP Peace Corps
  • Ur-Quan Lord
  • The Ancient One
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2009, 08:08:22 pm »
Hmmm. I was actually looking at this a few weeks back, but I've been to busy to download it and try it out. I'll have to give it a shot. Thanks for the heads up.
Round and round it goes, where it stops nobody knows

Offline Alen

• Ur-Quan Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2009, 10:11:32 pm »
I played the game on my brothers computer for hours. its an addictive game. it has a large comedic aspect to it. like a neighbor that yells "Blauwa IM CRAZY!"
And that's all I got to say about that.

Offline fossaman

• Ur-Quan Lord
  • The Fossa will rule you all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2009, 05:00:48 am »
I bought this. Awesome game. Haven't quite finished with all the trophies yet, but I'll get there eventually.

Greatest thing about this game? The sound effect when a zombie's head pops off.
Brick Flail!

Offline Trekkie

• Hunam
  • May your roots always be Well Watered!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2009, 09:07:51 am »
I quite like it,

Favourite Plant? :P

Offline fossaman

• Ur-Quan Lord
  • The Fossa will rule you all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2009, 10:38:42 am »
Wall Nuts. The way they cry when they're being eaten is hilarious.
Brick Flail!