Author Topic: The food thread  (Read 31651 times)

Offline Bleeding Star

• Ur-Quan Lord
    • View Profile
Re: The food thread
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2009, 08:50:02 am »
mayonnaise with some raw chopped garlic and red Thai Curry paste mixed in is superior.

Eugh. Mayonnaise is revolting, I don't know how anyone can stand it. The other ingredients sound good though.

I don't have a searing hatred of ketchup (unlike some of you apparently), but I do think that it is a condiment for lazy people. I can't think of a single situation where there ketchup could be used and there isn't another superior alternative.

Chilli sauce is my fallback if nothing else seems particularly suited.

Toothpaste, ketchup, and paint are frequently mis-labeled as being thixotropic materials. In reality, these are often pseudoplastic or "shear thinning".

I did not know that. You learn something new every day.

Offline Rider

• Ur-Quan Lord
    • View Profile
    • Cubicle Webcomic
« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2009, 09:56:56 am »
I decided to eat some decent food again. A nice piece of rib chop (babelfish tells me that's what it's called) with mashed potatoes. On the side some spinach a la creme with a little bit of cheese through to make it just a little more creamy. It was very yummy  :D
You wish you had a signature like mine

Offline Lukipela

• ZFP Peace Corps
  • Ur-Quan Lord
  • The Ancient One
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2009, 10:40:11 am »
Eugh. Mayonnaise is revolting, I don't know how anyone can stand it. The other ingredients sound good though.

It must suck so bad to not like mayo and be in Ireland. As I recall, everyone and their mother loves it there. They even named a county after it! :)

Spinach is one of those things I used to hate as a kid but absolutely love now.
Round and round it goes, where it stops nobody knows

Offline Lukipela

• ZFP Peace Corps
  • Ur-Quan Lord
  • The Ancient One
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2009, 11:18:26 am »
Living in a hotel somewhat restricts my ability to produce good food. Having eaten at restaurants every day, I figured I'd make myself a nice meal at home tonight.

For the curious, that's an apple, a coke, a small bottle of whiskey, Pringles, cheeze doodles, beer sausage and a home baked chocolate biscuit (my last!). Not shown is me angrily throwing the sausage in the trash because it tasted like crap

Offline Bleeding Star

• Ur-Quan Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2009, 03:59:58 am »
Mmmmm, classy. Why were you surprised when the beer sausage tasted like shit?

I'm currently going nuts on dhal. It's easy, healthy, cheap, and tastes good. I'm now getting a little experimental and trying other types of lentil and also throwing other stuff in, with mixed success.

Offline Alen

• Ur-Quan Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2009, 07:34:05 am »
It does suck living in a hotel. I'm glad I just eat all of this tasty fresh produce!  ;D
And that's all I got to say about that.

Offline Dabir

• Talking Pet
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2009, 03:15:39 pm »
Latest sandwich report:
Peanut butter and marmite was, as I discovered some months ago, a massive success. After numerous variants with different kinds of cheeses I have hit upon a new addition to the formula, which whilst not a replacement by any means is definitely something to try at least once. On the first slice: Marmite. On the second slice: Peanut butter. In between: One sliced banana.

It's one of your five a day!

Offline Alen

• Ur-Quan Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 28, 2009, 03:22:39 am »
That's... GENIUS!

Offline fossaman

• Ur-Quan Lord
  • The Fossa will rule you all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 28, 2009, 03:27:05 am »
I suppose as long as you're not frying the bananas I won't have to hire a hitman.
Brick Flail!

Offline Lukipela

• ZFP Peace Corps
  • Ur-Quan Lord
  • The Ancient One
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 28, 2009, 05:22:05 am »
I suppose as long as you're not frying the bananas I won't have to hire a hitman.

I don't think you're going to do anything fossa. After all, I've got a new flat with big empty walls. Don't kill the golden cow. ;)

Offline fossaman

• Ur-Quan Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 29, 2009, 02:18:09 am »
No no, I was talking to Dabir. Banana sandwiches I can let slide, but fried? Death to the gastronomic infidel.
Brick Flail!

Offline Alen

• Ur-Quan Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 29, 2009, 04:59:53 am »
Why fry the banana, that would be such a waste.

Offline fossaman

• Ur-Quan Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 29, 2009, 05:16:26 am »
Frying is the traditional way to prepare plantains, a starchier relative of the banana. But you'd have to ask Elvis as to why frying was the proper way to prepare a banana sandwich.
Brick Flail!

Offline Alen

• Ur-Quan Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 29, 2009, 05:29:30 am »
So true...

Offline Lukipela

• ZFP Peace Corps
  • Ur-Quan Lord
  • The Ancient One
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 31, 2009, 11:39:11 am »
Mmmmm, classy. Why were you surprised when the beer sausage tasted like shit?

Actually, yeah. I've had beer sausage of the same brand before, but not of that particular type. I'm not sure if it was old or just naturally disgusting, but I was a bit disappointed. Good luck with your foreign spices, I'm sure it'll all end in tears.

Some pictures to demonstrate good food and how easy it is to make. We made this during the weekend (and when I say we, I mean I took the photos). Really simple.

This here is filo dough. It's paper thin, so you pile five or so sheets on top of each other. Between the sheets you dab some olive oil, it makes them stick together better.

Then we put a piece of salmon in  the oven for five minutes or so. just enough to make it easy to take the skin off. then it's placed on the dough, and some salt and pepper is applied.

After that, some garlic cheese spread is applied liberally.

Then we put some spinach on it. You need fresh spinach, not any of that frozen stuff. Put the fresh leaves in boiling water for a minute or two, and then squeeze the water out of them.

Here it is, all wrapped in filo dough. Some olive oil is used to glue the ends shut.

We had these with boiled corn and tomatoes, and a glass of tasty rose wine. Tasty, easy to make, and not a lot of dishes! Who could ask for more?

EDIT: also I feel compelled to point out that the bottles on the floor are supposed to be there. We have a very small flat, and that corner is for bottles before we return them. It may look messy, but it's not... Or not very messy anyway.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2009, 11:41:36 am by Lukipela »