Author Topic: The food thread  (Read 31650 times)

Offline Rider

• Ur-Quan Lord
    • View Profile
    • Cubicle Webcomic
Re: The food thread
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2009, 12:47:40 pm »
I decided to experiment with obvious ingredients in non-obvious combinations. More plainly, I went for Chandler's favorite meal, macaroni and cheese, with bits of hotdog. If you like mac 'n cheese, and you like hotdogs, this is a treat. I ate part with and part without ketchup and it's both pretty good!

As a quick 'n dirty meal, this is a perfect one! Especially since all the ingredients are either virtually imperishable, or are common enough to be in your fridge anyway!
You wish you had a signature like mine

Offline Dabir

• Talking Pet
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2009, 01:29:50 pm »
Well, if we're talking about unobvious combinaions... HP Sauce (or nearest available equivalent) on ice cream isn't bad, although I can't recommend it as a desert. And for the truly stupid, a sandwich:
Bread
Peanut butter
Cold sausages
Bread
honey
Marmite
Bread
Peanut butter
Ketchup
Bread

This is a good sandwich and I recommend it to anyone who can cut bread thinner than me, maybe you'll be able to fit the whole thing in yer gob before the sausages fall out.

Offline Eth

• ZFP Peace Corps
  • Ur-Quan Lord
  • an animal on a stick!
    • View Profile
    • Famous Battles of the Ur-Quan Conflict
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2009, 07:26:58 am »
Ugh.  You two.   ;D

Offline Shiver

• Talking Pet
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2009, 06:11:55 pm »
Ketchup is an awful condiment. Add/subtract karma on this post if you agree or disagree.

Offline fossaman

• Ur-Quan Lord
  • The Fossa will rule you all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2009, 09:34:04 pm »
Warship!

I am rather allergic to vinegar in all its forms, so ketchup and mayonnaise both get the thumbs down from me, as do pickles and relish.
Brick Flail!

Offline Bleeding Star

• Ur-Quan Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2009, 10:52:57 pm »
More plainly, I went for Chandler's favorite meal, macaroni and cheese, with bits of hotdog. If you like mac 'n cheese, and you like hotdogs, this is a treat.

And for the truly stupid, a sandwich:

You two are students, right? I can't believe I used to eat like that.

Shiver says:
Ketchup is an awful condiment. Add/subtract karma on this post if you agree or disagree.

I used to hate it but have come to tolerate it somewhat. It's good with chips, and also it masks the taste of shitty food. A good burger doesn't need tomato sauce but a bad one is infinitely improved.

Offline Dragon

• Talking Pet
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2009, 12:03:04 am »
You realise I had to go and look up what Ketchup* is - although that's largely besides that point.  Its wikipedia entry cracked me up.  "An example of ketchup on a plate"?  Seriously... WTF.  It's not like it's even a well presented plate.  Also the paragraph on viscosity which explains exactly which fingers must be tapped on which part of the bottle...  Why?  Why.  Why!

*Yeah, I know it's that shitty red sauce but we had an argument in the office as to whether it's really tomato sauce or not.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 12:05:59 am by Dragon »

Offline Dabir

• Talking Pet
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2009, 10:36:05 am »
You two are students, right? I can't believe I used to eat like that.
Not quite there yet, but I'll be well-prepared when I am.

Offline fossaman

• Ur-Quan Lord
  • The Fossa will rule you all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2009, 05:30:55 pm »
Also the paragraph on viscosity which explains exactly which fingers must be tapped on which part of the bottle...  Why?  Why.  Why!

Ketchup is a thixotropic compound, which means it's made of awesome. Non-newtonian fluids are like that.
Brick Flail!

Offline Lukipela

• ZFP Peace Corps
  • Ur-Quan Lord
  • The Ancient One
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2009, 01:58:41 am »
Huh. This is something you don't see every day. I learned something new (thixotropic compound), but in doing so it seems you learn something new as well.

Quote from: Wikipedia_on_thixotropic_misconceptions
Misconceptions
Toothpaste, ketchup, and paint are frequently mis-labeled as being thixotropic materials. In reality, these are often pseudoplastic or "shear thinning". The viscosity of these materials decrease under increasing shear rate, not increasing time. When squeezed out of a tube, toothpaste flows easily but will set-up on the toothbrush. When shaken or squeezed out of a bottle, ketchup will thin and flow readily but will retain its shape on a burger or plate. When modern paints are applied the shear created by the brush or roller will allow them to thin and wet out the surface evenly. Once applied the paints regain their higher viscosity which avoids drips and runs.

Ketchup is just a pseudoplastic apparently. I don't have a searing hatred of ketchup (unlike some of you apparently), but I do think that it is a condiment for lazy people. I can't think of a single situation where there ketchup could be used and there isn't another superior alternative. Well, in my opinion at least.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2009, 02:01:43 am by Lukipela »
Round and round it goes, where it stops nobody knows

Offline Eth

• ZFP Peace Corps
  • Ur-Quan Lord
  • an animal on a stick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2009, 10:36:10 am »
Ketchup is just a pseudoplastic apparently. I don't have a searing hatred of ketchup (unlike some of you apparently), but I do think that it is a condiment for lazy people. I can't think of a single situation where there ketchup could be used and there isn't another superior alternative. Well, in my opinion at least.
French fries?

Offline Lukipela

• ZFP Peace Corps
  • Ur-Quan Lord
  • The Ancient One
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2009, 08:41:51 pm »
French fries?

To my tastebuds, mayonnaise with some raw chopped garlic and red Thai Curry paste mixed in is superior. Packs a real kick and makes the fries taste a lot more. You stink afterwards though.

Offline Eth

• ZFP Peace Corps
  • Ur-Quan Lord
  • an animal on a stick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2009, 09:41:50 am »
Europeans...  (shakes head).

Offline Dragon

• Talking Pet
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2009, 09:54:30 am »
Ketchup is a thixotropic compound, which means it's made of awesome. Non-newtonian fluids are like that.
Well, I bandied this one about the office and we decided that it is, in fact, bacon which is distilled essence of awesome but that thixotropic compounds are pretty cool too.

To my tastebuds, mayonnaise with some raw chopped garlic and red Thai Curry paste mixed in is superior. Packs a real kick and makes the fries taste a lot more. You stink afterwards though.
I haven't thought this one through but - I think - if you use chopped jalapeno chillies instead of curry paste it'd work quite nicely too.

Offline Lukipela

• ZFP Peace Corps
  • Ur-Quan Lord
  • The Ancient One
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2009, 07:41:59 am »
Yeah, the curry paste is just for a bit of flavour, it can probably be replaced with any other red spicy thing. The raw crushed garlic makes it hot enough for me, so I don't really need to make it much hotter.