Author Topic: The Troll  (Read 1621 times)

Offline Rider

• Ur-Quan Lord
    • View Profile
    • Cubicle Webcomic
The Troll
« on: October 08, 2008, 05:43:23 am »
I was reading an article on wikipedia just now, about trolling. And I read the following passage and found it so accurate for this community that I had to share it. In particular the part in bold was what did it for me.

Trolling is a game about identity deception, albeit one that is played without the consent of most of the players. The troll attempts to pass as a legitimate participant, sharing the group's common interests and concerns; the newsgroups members, if they are cognizant of trolls and other identity deceptions, attempt to both distinguish real from trolling postings, and upon judging a poster a troll, make the offending poster leave the group. Their success at the former depends on how well they — and the troll — understand identity cues; their success at the latter depends on whether the troll's enjoyment is sufficiently diminished or outweighed by the costs imposed by the group.

Trolls can be costly in several ways. A troll can disrupt the discussion on a newsgroup, disseminate bad advice, and damage the feeling of trust in the newsgroup community. Furthermore, in a group that has become sensitized to trolling — where the rate of deception is high — many honestly naïve questions may be quickly rejected as trollings. This can be quite off-putting to the new user who upon venturing a first posting is immediately bombarded with angry accusations. Even if the accusation is unfounded, being branded a troll is quite damaging to one's online reputation." (Donath, 1999, p. 45)

Sound familiar?

You can read the entire thing here.

Just wanted to share that :)
You wish you had a signature like mine

Offline Sedodes

• Ur-Quan Lord
  • Ironic self-hating narcissist superhero!
    • View Profile
    • Clickity
Re: The Troll
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2008, 10:35:28 am »
I seriously doubt that the presence of trolls on this board is significant -- we ARE a rather small community these days and the renewed SC interest created by UQM dissipated rather fast due to new gamers seeing that nothing new has arisen from the SC devotees in quite some time (most was created prior to and during UQM's launch phases).  I believe that the main reason we see so much "trolling" here is that we don't experience it.

A lot of people here take credit for trolling one they're accused of behaving in a way the majority of the community doesn't accept.  The peer disapproval pushes the accused to discredit their own behavior.  Since we're a community with relatively few trolls (and the trolls we DO get aren't really that bad) the admission of trolling isn't a big deal and in some instances it's probably preferable to take ownership of an intent rather than admitting fault.

Now, if we were an active and massive community trolling would probably be more intense on the part of the trolls and more strictly reprimanded.  Generally, the "no trolling" rule tends in my experience to only be invoked when one ADMITS to trolling rather than admitting fault or ignorance.  Essentially it acts as a barrier to protect civil (and censored) forums from the influence of people who would flaunt the fact that they're a disruptive force on the community and potentially "inspire" others to do the same.
In a world where one man could change the world,
One man changed the world!

WORLD CHANGER: CHANGER OF WORLDS

The day the world changed
Will be known as the day that changed the world

SPRING 2010

Offline Zeracles

• Talking Pet
  • Icon of X
    • View Profile
    • Me
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2008, 03:59:31 pm »
I agree with Sed - relax, at the level we have it here, it's just a bit of harmless fun :)
Fear not the Arch Viles and Spectres of the Deepest Reaches, for the X is strong in this place.

In my next life I would like to be a pootworm. ANNIGILATE ME!

Offline FreakyM

• Ur-Quan Lord
  • GENOCIDE CUTTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2008, 01:47:53 pm »
Yeah, we´ve never really had a trolling problem.
The Controversial Subject lives on.

Offline Rider

• Ur-Quan Lord
    • View Profile
    • Cubicle Webcomic
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2008, 02:02:47 am »
When I read the bold part I immediately thought of Red, with his sock puppets and other pranks... could be just me though...
You wish you had a signature like mine

Offline Zeracles

• Talking Pet
  • Icon of X
    • View Profile
    • Me
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2008, 04:24:20 pm »
Except that he was harmless (I think). What a great poster, though I always thought he was at his funniest when he wasn't really trying. What's the bet he'll be back someday? It wouldn't surprise me if he made a triumphant return after some really big score on the SC scene. Not that I want to put pressure on him ;)
Fear not the Arch Viles and Spectres of the Deepest Reaches, for the X is strong in this place.

In my next life I would like to be a pootworm. ANNIGILATE ME!