Author Topic: A star control 1 remake that may actually get finished  (Read 81079 times)

Offline Guesst

• Talking Pet
  • Ancient Shofixti Warrior
    • View Profile
A star control 1 remake that may actually get finished
« on: September 07, 2008, 09:13:55 am »
For the RetroRemake contest the user Dragon has committed to remaking Star Control 1.

http://www.retroremakes.com/forum2/showthread.php?p=180694

I couldn't be happier.
main(){char b[11]="\toooo.OOOO";int e=5,n,t=0;puts("\t123456789");puts(b);for(;n
&&strcmp("\tOOOO.oooo",b);puts(b)){n=getche();if(n-='0'){if(n>0&&n<=9&&(abs(n-e)
==2||abs(n-e)==1)){b[e]=b[n];b[n]='.';e=n;t++;}}}if(n)printf("\n%d moves\n",t);}

Offline Bleeding Star

• Ur-Quan Lord
    • View Profile
Re: A star control 1 remake that may actually get finished
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2008, 10:36:13 am »
Excellent! I loves some SC1. Any chance of persuading him that he desperately needs to include SC2 ships as well?

Offline Dabir

• Talking Pet
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2008, 11:44:38 am »
Yipee, excited!

Offline Zeracles

• Talking Pet
  • Icon of X
    • View Profile
    • Me
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2008, 02:47:12 pm »
Having only ever played it once and briefly at that, and a long long time ago, I'm quite interested to see what it's all about myself . . .
Fear not the Arch Viles and Spectres of the Deepest Reaches, for the X is strong in this place.

In my next life I would like to be a pootworm. ANNIGILATE ME!

Offline Scott_Irving

• ZFP Peace Corps
  • Ur-Quan Lord
  • XR Webmaster / PNF Deputy
    • View Profile
    • XR: The Movie Project
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2008, 05:06:14 pm »
there it's in the news now  ;D

Offline Guesst

• Talking Pet
  • Ancient Shofixti Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2008, 01:51:08 pm »
Excellent! I loves some SC1. Any chance of persuading him that he desperately needs to include SC2 ships as well?
That would indeed be the sweet, but may only happen if he has time. At the moment the focus is recreating the original game.
main(){char b[11]="\toooo.OOOO";int e=5,n,t=0;puts("\t123456789");puts(b);for(;n
&&strcmp("\tOOOO.oooo",b);puts(b)){n=getche();if(n-='0'){if(n>0&&n<=9&&(abs(n-e)
==2||abs(n-e)==1)){b[e]=b[n];b[n]='.';e=n;t++;}}}if(n)printf("\n%d moves\n",t);}

Offline Dragon

• Talking Pet
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2008, 05:08:48 am »
At the moment the focus is recreating the original game.
Yup, the spirit of this project is a clean complete remake.  After the competition, well, the sky's the limit.  'till then though just trying to get one out is a bit frantic.

ps: Hi all :)

Offline Zeracles

• Talking Pet
  • Icon of X
    • View Profile
    • Me
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2008, 02:18:10 am »
ps: Hi all :)
We'd say hi too, and drag you into a long interminable discussion of how much we love what you're doing, but fortunately for you, we've decided not to, as this might stop you from finishing on time ;D
Fear not the Arch Viles and Spectres of the Deepest Reaches, for the X is strong in this place.

Offline Dragon

• Talking Pet
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2008, 11:16:50 am »
Good news!  I've finished all the graphics now although there's still some debate about how the planets should look.  From here on it should just be coding.  Yippee!  :)

Offline Zeracles

• Talking Pet
  • Icon of X
    • View Profile
    • Me
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2008, 09:41:07 pm »
The loud colours are fantastic. The background doesn't seem quite right to me, but I have next to no idea about the original and can't complain.

Offline Dragon

• Talking Pet
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2008, 12:02:16 am »
The background doesn't seem quite right to me

Yeah, they're all still place holders and far to noisy.  I wrote a sort of background generator but the SC1 just had points stars and I'll probably do the same.
[EDIT] ie: my background generator isn't quite doing what I want  :-\

Offline Zeracles

• Talking Pet
  • Icon of X
    • View Profile
    • Me
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2008, 09:08:09 pm »
Got back to the office after a day of tutoring and decided to do some lazy coding. I'd been wanting to do this as I am an astronomer after all. I made a background generator, and will post full details along with code on the ultronomicon later. Briefly, it smooths a random point distribution with a fixed width gaussian filter, and does it in all the colours of the rainbow. It's designed to go with the colourful style of the ships.

This was the first real result

Stars are actually point sources, the sky turns them into gaussians, which is what I did here. The ``spokes" one sees on stars only happens when you look through a telescope (diffraction around supporting beams in the telescope).

Anyway, too noisy, so I decreased the gaussian width

At this point it was clear I'd have to increase the resolution, so I ran it again with 1000x1000 resolution

I may have been subconsciously influenced by the rounds of bubble breaker I'd been playing whilst tutoring, or I've been eating too many M&Ms ;D

Now, who wouldn't want to play on that? 8)

One other thing, resolution, size of the stars, number of points for smoothing and the colours can be changed VERY easily, so if you don't like this I can improve on it.

Any questions?

EDIT: I'm not just addressing Dragon and I'm not, of course, insisting that this go in the SC1 remake, I just thought this would be a cool thing to try. Dragon may (and in all probability will) choose to ignore this for his remake. It might be usefully applied to something else SC-wise.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2008, 02:51:45 pm by Zeracles »

Offline Dragon

• Talking Pet
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2008, 01:25:04 pm »
Any questions?
Can we go a bit... less   8)

Actually even with my tame backgrounds it's proving hard to see the ships.  Looking at the final image I have a few suggestions: could you drop the number of stars to about a 1/4 and reduce the width of the Gaussian filter to about 2/3.  Then if instead of drawing point stars you use circles with a random sizes they'll give a bit more variance.  You could draw a couple of points, run the filter with a narrow width across them.  Put a few more points on and run the filter again etc...  Finally run the filter with the wider width to get a nicely varied image.

Of course if you're up for a challenge, see if you can reproduce the spokes. I figure there should be no atmospheric effects in space so it's just as valid to put telescopic artifacts in too ;)

« Last Edit: September 28, 2008, 12:16:46 am by Dragon »

Offline Zeracles

• Talking Pet
  • Icon of X
    • View Profile
    • Me
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2008, 02:22:21 am »
Can we go a bit... less   8)

Actually even with my tame backgrounds it's proving hard to see the ships.
Yeah, that's the main problem (or part of the in-game challenge :D).
Looking at the final image I have a few suggestions: could you drop the number of stars to about a 1/4 and reduce the width of the Gaussian filter to about 2/3.  Then if instead of drawing point stars you use circles with a random sizes they'll give a bit more variance.
These are good. I might also try variable brightness. Gaussian's not all there is, either . . .
Of course if you're up for a challenge, see if you can reproduce the spokes. I figure there should be no atmospheric effects in space so it's just as valid to put telescopic artifacts in too ;)
Absolutely, lots of little Xs like my avatar :P Not sure when I'll get to it though, I'm working from home for a bit and it's better for me to do this at work ;) because my monitor at home doesn't display blue :-\

Offline Dragon

• Talking Pet
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2008, 11:14:55 am »
I'm working from home for a bit and it's better for me to do this at work ;) because my monitor at home doesn't display blue :-\
Ah - I see how that could be a bit of a problem :s.  I had a similar monitor.  It got rained on.  I wasn't unhappy ;)