Poll

Did you feel that this particular piece of news was relevant? Take the time to answer our customer satisfaction poll.

It was very relevant
6 (100%)
It was relevant enough
0 (0%)
It was not relevant at all
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Voting closed: May 19, 2008, 10:16:28 am

Author Topic: ~Chikyujin-yo! Desu desu?  (Read 17584 times)

Offline Lukipela

• ZFP Peace Corps
  • Ur-Quan Lord
  • The Ancient One
    • View Profile
~Chikyujin-yo! Desu desu?
« on: May 12, 2008, 10:16:28 am »
As you all know, the Star Control communities are widespread and mighty. Unfortunately, some of them are also quite insular, in the way that news from them travels more slowly. Whether this is because of their secretive nature, or because visiting them tends to break something inside you is up for debate. First and foremost among these is probably frungy_lovers, a lovely livejournal community mostly populated by what could mildly be termed "deviant schoolgirls on speed". It's not a place for weak people. It's a place where both images and fan fiction can scar you badly, unless you have a very special... fondness for Admiral ZEX (and the less well known Subcommander DAX). Thankfully, some of us still visit occasionally, for brief enough intervals to avoid being *seen*. Because I have a feeling that if they *see* you, they will want to *play*.

Er anyhow, the following comes courtesy of frungy_lovers member Zarla (I think), who apparently has access to a Japanese version of SC2. Please take a time to listen to this and this, to get and idea of how the SC2 voices were done in Japanese!

I especially like the Utwig.

EDIT: Meep-Eep kindly provided a link to an older thread about this over at UQM. Some interesting legal discussion and screenshots there.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2008, 06:39:36 am by Lukipela »
Round and round it goes, where it stops nobody knows

Valaggar Redux

Re: ~Chikyujin-yo! Desu desu?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2008, 10:48:07 am »
The voice acting seems better than in the English version (well, except the ZFP, they alternate in a silly way and don't quite sound as if they were arguing. And except the Umgah, they were a tad too serious. And the Orz were just... what the heck!? Lucid Orz!?) (Hayes was much better than the English version, for example), but the effects are rather bland (the Arilou didn't sound AT ALL like little green men, for example.). The Utwig sound rather good indeed, although they're still not elderly enough for my taste (in fact they still have a teeny voice).

Hearing the Kzer-Za speak in Japanese was amusing, by the way. And hearing the Chmmr say "Marenumaharemu" instead of "Mmrnmhrm".

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THE DRUUGE!!!
The Kohr-Ah are interesting as well, although I think that voice would've fitted the Thraddash better.
Slylandro Probe sounds good too, though the voice synthesizer in the English version has its own special charm.

The Spathi sound too confident.

Syreen: IS THAT THE JAPANESE'S IDEA OF A SEDUCTIVE VOICE!? That's the ugliest hag voice I've ever heard.

Singing Thraddash is beyond words. I miss the growl though.

Also, somebody who knows Japanese: What is that "ware ware wa" thing I keep hearing from various species? Never mind, it apparently is "we".

(Also: FIRST VOTE YAY LOLZ ZOMG)
« Last Edit: May 12, 2008, 11:09:37 am by Valaggar Redux »

Offline Lukipela

• ZFP Peace Corps
  • Ur-Quan Lord
  • The Ancient One
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2008, 11:02:04 am »
I'm guessing the Japanese had professional (or at least semi-professional) voice actors, as opposed to just the development team. "Ware ware wa" means "we"? they couldn't make it any longer?

jaychant

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2008, 11:13:24 am »
Luki, in Japanese, there's a particle for question marks, ka.

Marenumaharemu" instead of "Mmrnmhrm".

I'm studying Japanese and I know exactly why it's pronounced differently. Japanese sounds are all in pairs of one consonant and one vowel. The only letters that can stand alone are n and the vowels. So they can't say mernemherm, it has to be Meranemaheramu (or maybe you were correct, in that case it would be pronounced [MA-ray-NEW-ma-HA-ray-MOO], which I doubt).

Valaggar Redux

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2008, 11:16:51 am »
I'm guessing the Japanese had professional (or at least semi-professional) voice actors, as opposed to just the development team.

The English team also had a few professionals - the Syreen/VUX/ZFP voice actor and (maybe, I'm not very sure) the Yehat voice actor. Possibly a few others. Still, mostly amateurs. Although Paul did a pretty good job.

So they can't say mernemherm, it has to be Meranemaheramu (or maybe you were correct, in that case it would be pronounced [MA-ray-NEW-ma-HA-ray-MOO], which I doubt).

I'm absolutely sure I hear "Marenumaharemu". Note that I'm using IPA though.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2008, 11:26:42 am by Valaggar Redux »

Offline Alana

• Hunam
  • deviant schoolgirl on speed <3
    • View Profile
    • The New Alliance of Free Stars : A SC2 RP
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2008, 11:49:20 am »
As you all know, the Star Control communities are widespread and mighty. Unfortunately, some of them are also quite insular, in the way that news from them travels more slowly. Whether this is because of their secretive nature, or because visiting them tends to break something inside you is up for debate. First and foremost among these is probably frungy_lovers, a lovely livejournal community mostly populated by what could mildly be termed "deviant schoolgirls on speed". It's not a place for weak people. It's a place where both images and fan fiction can scar you badly, unless you have a very special... fondness for Admiral ZEX (and the less well known Sub commander DAX). Thankfully, some of us still visit occasionally, for brief enough intervals to avoid being *seen*. Because I have  as feeling that if they *see* you, they will want to *play*.

... okay dead laughing now. XD I'LL TAKE THAT AS A COMPLIMENT, I GUESS.
Proud to have a "very special fondness" for Admiral ZEX
<3

Offline Megagun

• Ur-Quan Lord
  • Signatures SUCK.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2008, 01:43:00 pm »
The Japanese voices are utter crap and completely notfitting to the aliens when compared with the way more awesome English voices..

Offline Shiver

• Talking Pet
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2008, 01:57:38 pm »
It's better acting, but I seem to be hearing the same voice actor over and over for most of them. Best part is the singing Thraddash. That is just awesome.

Syreen: IS THAT THE JAPANESE'S IDEA OF A SEDUCTIVE VOICE!? That's the ugliest hag voice I've ever heard.

Gonna have to disagree. She's not OMG HAWT but the voice is a mile away from "hag".

Offline Scott_Irving

• ZFP Peace Corps
  • Ur-Quan Lord
  • XR Webmaster / PNF Deputy
    • View Profile
    • XR: The Movie Project
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2008, 03:55:49 pm »
I've got the Japanese SC2 for 3do but, I've never actually played it to any point where there was voices lol.

jaychant

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2008, 05:59:40 pm »
Note that I'm using IPA though.

So what difference does it make?

Valaggar Redux

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2008, 03:52:04 am »
Note that I'm using IPA though.

So what difference does it make?

I just said that in case it did make a difference. It was too late in the evening for me to remember how your transliteration is pronounced. Well, maybe it also was too late in the evening to actually understand what the Chmmr was saying. Or maybe not. It's irrelevant, anyway. Let's not derail the thread.

Offline Lukipela

• ZFP Peace Corps
  • Ur-Quan Lord
  • The Ancient One
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2008, 06:43:07 am »
Added an edit to the original post, seems there was an old subject about this over at UQM. Don't know how I missed it.

XD I'LL TAKE THAT AS A COMPLIMENT, I GUESS.

ITS TOTALLY MEANT AS ONE LAWL :) OMG LOVE YOUR NEW PROFILE!! OH; AND HAR HAR WINK WINK!

I've got the Japanese SC2 for 3do but, I've never actually played it to any point where there was voices lol.

What, you never played the approximately 30 seconds required to meet the Ur-Quan drone? This might interest Starlord by the way, in case he wants to make an image for posterity.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2008, 08:38:31 am by Lukipela »

Offline Alana

• Hunam
  • deviant schoolgirl on speed <3
    • View Profile
    • The New Alliance of Free Stars : A SC2 RP
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2008, 03:34:24 pm »
Added an edit to the original post, seems there was an old subject about this over at UQM. Don't know how I missed it.

XD I'LL TAKE THAT AS A COMPLIMENT, I GUESS.

ITS TOTALLY MEANT AS ONE LAWL :) OMG LOVE YOUR NEW PROFILE!!
LOL THANX. IT WAS ALL THANKS TO YOUR INSPIRED COMPLIMENTS, BB.

OH; AND HAR HAR WINK WINK!

... Now I have to ask if you'd like to *play* with me. XD
Proud to have a "very special fondness" for Admiral ZEX
<3

Offline Lukipela

• ZFP Peace Corps
  • Ur-Quan Lord
  • The Ancient One
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2008, 03:41:15 am »
... Now I have to ask if you'd like to *play* with me. XD

I think that *playing* with deviant schoolgirls online might get me in to all sorts of trouble with my girlfriend. So unfortunately, no. BUT WE CAN STILL BE BFFS YAY!!

jaychant

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2008, 10:53:27 am »
OMG, I was going to post something like, "OK, calm down. Let's not get into any serious relationships yet!"