Author Topic: First time stories.  (Read 9037 times)

Viropher

Re: First time stories.
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2003, 04:59:45 am »
Mr.TheShrew, he is the best of us.

Yes, it's a real picture of me - the most smug one I could take with this crap web-cam, here.

Offline Scott_Irving

• ZFP Peace Corps
  • Ur-Quan Lord
  • XR Webmaster / PNF Deputy
    • View Profile
    • XR: The Movie Project
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2003, 12:56:58 pm »
Torment me why don't u! hate being single... oh well gives me more time to be a geek lol! ;D

Offline AngryShrew

• Hunam
  • #1 Viropher Groupie
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2003, 09:18:46 am »
Well, I must say, Chris, you are definitely an overflowing sexpot of attractiveness.

Yo, Chad, what's up?  As far as I'm concerned, UQM updates are the most exciting thing we've had around here EVER.  I've gone absolutely bonkers with joy both times a new version game out...  Whatever though.  I'll try and cook up something for you guys sometime soon...

Scott, what IS the deal with XR?  Is it really going anywhere?  Whatever happened to old Renzo?

Offline Scott_Irving

• ZFP Peace Corps
  • Ur-Quan Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2003, 10:21:19 am »
It's going places.. slowly and Renzo well he left and I haven't heard from him in quite awhile... year or two

Offline Eth

• ZFP Peace Corps
  • Ur-Quan Lord
  • an animal on a stick!
    • View Profile
    • Famous Battles of the Ur-Quan Conflict
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2003, 04:03:47 pm »
Gosh, that's a long time ago.  Lessee, I guess I started playing Starcon just a bit before SC2 came out.  We had it installed on the 286s in the computer lab at my high school.  We played a lot there, and my handle here, Eth, is what I used in my saved games.  PC Speaker sounds...  mmmmm...  We got a hacked version of SC2, which I installed on my dad's 486SX, but it crashed all the time, so we got the regular version (for free) and bought the strategy guide, which came with the hyperspace map you needed to beat the copy protection.  Eventually I coded a sort of turn-based RPG thing in Qbasic and made a giant photocopy of the starmap and modified it for the RPG.  Unfortunately, all copies of the RPG were lost, and my friend Carlos constantly hacked into it to make derogatory references to my mother, anyway.  

Offline AngryShrew

• Hunam
  • #1 Viropher Groupie
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2003, 09:01:21 am »
Then who's programming it Scott?

Offline Nick

• Hunam
  • [6% Orange Juice]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2003, 03:58:17 pm »
Many years ago, when sc2 came out, a friend of mine had a neighbour who got it. We 'borrowed' it and also had a photocopied map. You have to understand that in South Africa at the time, you could get no software at all due to sanctions and there was no internet as we know it today. Anyway, the map got faded but it got to a point where we knew every star from memory. We played it for our entire summer holiday, daily untill we beat it.

I don't think any single game has influenced my life as much as sc2 (does that sound nerdy??? ).  ::)
« Last Edit: March 03, 2003, 04:00:51 pm by Nick »

Offline HappyHamster

• Hunam
  • The Space Hamster found on many planets in SC2
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2003, 01:07:21 pm »
Grr, copying my icon :)  
My topic seems to have done well...
I easily list SC2 in my top five games, along with Blizzard's RTS's.  
I remember being frightened by the ships following me in hyperspace as I was going to the Spathi homeworld.  I pushed the "up" button, stopping auto-pilot.  I was in Ur-Quan space before i realized that, though.
"You will soon die. Make whatever rituals are necessary for your species." - Ur-Quan Kohr-Ah
GameFAQS ID:  HappyHamster

Offline Scott_Irving

• ZFP Peace Corps
  • Ur-Quan Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2003, 12:18:55 pm »
Well Conathan and I though it's not really a clone anymore.. but that's a long story..

Offline Rider

• Ur-Quan Lord
    • View Profile
    • Cubicle Webcomic
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2003, 07:44:09 pm »
My first time was when I was about 7 or 8 yrs old. My uncle had this huge game collection, and we just installed anything that sounded nice. Eventually SC1 was installed

I used to play with kids from the neighbourhood and mostly I kicked them. Only a little while ago I found out that the game was actually named Star control, and I (illegally :-/) downloaded SC1 and SC2 (wihtout copyprotection)

I have been playing it since... But haven't mastered it by far...
You wish you had a signature like mine

Offline fluffy_banana

• Ur-Quan Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2003, 09:48:55 am »
I just recently(1 or 2 years ago) acquired UQM. I have had a lot of fun with it.{I soon after downloaded TimeWarp}
« Last Edit: October 06, 2003, 09:53:04 am by fluffy_banana »

Offline Megagun

• Ur-Quan Lord
  • Signatures SUCK.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2003, 10:02:28 pm »
humm.. bringing back topics eh? :)

owell.. ya dont know my story yet!

Actually, i dont know WHAT starcon game started it all for me.. maybe 1, maybe 2 (i guess 1) which we (probably) got of one of the old warez cds (with crappy dos menus :) )
Then later (at a given time i do not know..) we had Sc2... i usually played melee with my brother, and watched him when he played the adventure.. The only words i understanded of it were "submit", "die", "prepare" and "destroy".... :)..
The game got somewhat faded in our lives because we lost the cd etc.... Then one day, my brother told me that he found Star control 2 on a shelve somewhere (it was one released by Telstar, it had no copy protection and it didnt come with any manuals, not even on cd! it also came in a ugly white cd..) and moments later, we bought it.. it was 5 guilders, thats about 2.5 euros (cheapo!)..
moments later, i found myself be killed by probes, talking abit with the melnorme, crushing Quannies, and bomb the sa-matra..
the rest is, indeed, history!
and now, i find myself playing Melee again.. obliterating that bastardly Quannie which killed my brave Shofixtees... GRR!!!
« Last Edit: October 06, 2003, 10:03:09 pm by Megagun »

Offline Sedodes

• Ur-Quan Lord
  • Ironic self-hating narcissist superhero!
    • View Profile
    • Clickity
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2003, 12:19:33 am »
Years ago, when the genesis was first released, I wasn't allowed to have it, but my friend did.  So, all the neighborhood kids would go over and play that damnable thing for hours on end.  We'd challenge each-other at various games we rented, and someone just happened to bring Star Control one time.

I wasn't very good at most of the games on the Genesis, but I was PRECISE when it came to SC.  Nobody understood the "full game" but the melee battles were fierce.  The cartridge ended up getting smashed after an angry opponent of mine knew I was to remain entirely undefeated.  And that was the last I heard of it.

Fast forward a few years -- I'm done hanging out with people and live on the computer.  My only friend gets a 3DO and shows me this "awesome game called Star Control 2".  I recognized it immediately, and after so many years it was great to play again.  I bought his 3DO and the game, and eventually explored every inner working of it.

I still chat with the "SC2 Friend" from time to time.  I told him of SC3 and how it sucked, and since he's not big into gaming, just wants me to inform him when/if SC4 is released.
In a world where one man could change the world,
One man changed the world!

WORLD CHANGER: CHANGER OF WORLDS

The day the world changed
Will be known as the day that changed the world

SPRING 2010