Author Topic: First time stories.  (Read 9038 times)

Offline HappyHamster

• Hunam
  • The Space Hamster found on many planets in SC2
    • View Profile
First time stories.
« on: February 20, 2003, 10:45:02 am »
When was the first time you played Star Control?  Where did you get it?  Etc.

I recieved my copy (the CD version with both SC 1 and 2) as a birthday present.  I was never any good at it (I was pretty young at the time), but I loved it nonetheless.  I only managed to beat the game when I started it again this past summer.  This was, incidentally, when I found PONAF.  

Your stories?
« Last Edit: February 21, 2003, 09:11:54 am by HappyHamster »
"You will soon die. Make whatever rituals are necessary for your species." - Ur-Quan Kohr-Ah
GameFAQS ID:  HappyHamster

Offline AlmightyBob

• Hunam
  • Craxy, thats Crazy with an 'X'
    • View Profile
Re: First time stories.
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2003, 04:33:21 am »
I found Starcontrol at a freinds house about a year after it was published.  I first played it on my 486 SX 33, and boy did it run slow.  I loved the music in it so much I used to leave it running while I did things around the house.   It took me playing through it 4 times before I managed to finnaly beat it.   I've probably spent more time Playing SC2 than any other game, except maybe Civ 2.  and i still play it to this day.
I'm desperately trying to figure out why kamikaze pilots wore helmets.

Offline Lukipela

• ZFP Peace Corps
  • Ur-Quan Lord
  • The Ancient One
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2003, 07:44:16 am »
I got the compilation CD with both Starcons on it from my uncle for christmas. I don't think I was outside at all during the rest of our christmas holidays. I just played staright through. Such great memories
Round and round it goes, where it stops nobody knows

Offline Guesst

• Talking Pet
  • Ancient Shofixti Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2003, 06:38:08 am »
My original SC experience was actually with SC1. Someone at Adams City High School had it on a disk that we all copied (sorry FF & PRIII) and mastered on the lab computers back in 92 or 93.
Then someone told me there was another game "like" star control where you land on planets and whatnot but it wasn't untill a few years later in college that I discovered and bought sc2. That was about 1995. I hooked my brother and 2 of my sisters on the game. They almost played it more than me! Now they're totally digging on UQM.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2006, 03:11:00 pm by Guesst »
main(){char b[11]="\toooo.OOOO";int e=5,n,t=0;puts("\t123456789");puts(b);for(;n
&&strcmp("\tOOOO.oooo",b);puts(b)){n=getche();if(n-='0'){if(n>0&&n<=9&&(abs(n-e)
==2||abs(n-e)==1)){b[e]=b[n];b[n]='.';e=n;t++;}}}if(n)printf("\n%d moves\n",t);}

Offline Chad

• Evil One
  • Ur-Quan Lord
  • PNF Webmaster
    • View Profile
    • The Pages of Now and Forever
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2003, 04:18:13 am »
I originally played Star Control 1 for the Sega Genesis when it came out.  I remember browsing the aisles at TRU with my mom picking out a game to get for my birthday.  I remember the "Best Science Fiction game of the year" and the "first 12 mega-bit game" ads on the box were big factors in me picking up the game ::)

Later, when I didn't even know it had a sequel (afterall, it wasn't on the Genesis), my friend brought over SC2 and installed it on our family's "new" 386 based PC.  We played SuperMelee  that afternoon.  After he went home, I started in on the adventure game.  The rest, as they say, is history  ;)  

I later bought the Star Control Collection in stores to get my "legal" copy of SC1 and SC2 ;)

I bought Star Control 3 the day it came out in stores.  I believe that was 1996 as I felt like a BIG dork playing talking muppets during my freshman year in college when  the whole campus was going nutz about networkable Quake 1.  :P

Didn't know at the time that Fred and Paul didn't make SC3.  Started this website right before going to college in the summer of 1996.
"...Dogar And Kazon Clack Their Mandibles Against One Another And Snicker With Amusement."

Offline Tim

• Hunam
  • Kohr-Ah
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2003, 06:52:56 pm »
I just got into star control recently.  I remember playing sc2 melee when it first came out on pc, but I never played the adventure game until last year, when I got a hold of the 3do version.  I have to say it was easily one of the best gaming experiences I have ever had.  That is saying a lot considering the crazy amount of games my brother and I have, he's a pretty hardcore collector, has almost all of the consoles since the atari.

Tim
This is my trophy bone pit..

Viropher

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2003, 07:58:50 am »
For years I knew SC2 simply for the story - a confused young lad, staring as his older brother played through time and again. I think I'd followed the game, on and off, three or four times, simply as a something like a TV show (or book, to use a less accurate, but more poncey, simile.)

Offline AngryShrew

• Hunam
  • #1 Viropher Groupie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2003, 08:48:08 am »
Same story here as Viropher- except my brother wouldn't let me watch it all the way through, because he wanted me to be able to beat it on my own when I played it.  He'd always send me out of the room when he got to the important parts.  Good call too- the game was much more amazing when I finally beat it on my own later.

Chris, is that a real picture of you?

Offline Lukipela

• ZFP Peace Corps
  • Ur-Quan Lord
  • The Ancient One
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2003, 08:55:14 am »
Sorry to butt in but OMG are you really AngryShrew? I am a huge fan of the strategy articles you wrote on PONAF a while back! Any more of those anywhere else?

Offline AngryShrew

• Hunam
  • #1 Viropher Groupie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2003, 09:01:58 am »
Oh man, it rocks to be recognized.  I rarely come around here any more, but I do love my Star Control forums.

I wrote those couple articles a few years ago- my one measly contribution to the SC community outside the forums.  I haven't thought about those darned things in a long time, but now that you've mentioned it I might consider writing another article or two...  Especially since I've been playing UQM obsessively for the past couple months, AND there's a new one coming out...  I'll definitely try and stick around the forums for a little while, at least.

Offline Lukipela

• ZFP Peace Corps
  • Ur-Quan Lord
  • The Ancient One
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2003, 09:05:56 am »
Dont forget "The Big Heist", "Heir to the Hierarchy" and "Countdown to Glory" on the Fan Fiction site. I don't think anything else on that site made me laugh as much as the Big Heist... Classic!

How to beatn an Umgah with a Chmmr? I always cite that when ppl start discussing Chmmr strategies too much...
« Last Edit: February 27, 2003, 09:07:04 am by Lukipela »

Offline AngryShrew

• Hunam
  • #1 Viropher Groupie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2003, 09:13:59 am »
Thanks for the kind words, Lukipela. :)  You left out "Eveth Gi Est Stxih Noihgefid," probably my finest work and the only one I enjoy reading any more...

Offline Lukipela

• ZFP Peace Corps
  • Ur-Quan Lord
  • The Ancient One
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2003, 09:24:01 am »
Darn! I knew I missed something....

Offline Scott_Irving

• ZFP Peace Corps
  • Ur-Quan Lord
  • XR Webmaster / PNF Deputy
    • View Profile
    • XR: The Movie Project
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2003, 11:50:52 am »
Hey there Shrew, I remember your stories.. lol I did some graphics for some of them... hehe,

You still writing? I could use some help writing the XR Movie scripts.. and a highly interactive story for the MMORPG

Offline Chad

• Evil One
  • Ur-Quan Lord
  • PNF Webmaster
    • View Profile
    • The Pages of Now and Forever
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2003, 11:17:06 pm »
Hey Shrew, glad you are here :)

I'd love it if you write some more humor stuff.  Definitely need some news.  All I have recently is my pitifuls coding updates to the site and UQM updates  :-/

"#1 Viropher Groupie", heheheheh
« Last Edit: February 27, 2003, 11:17:36 pm by Chad »
"...Dogar And Kazon Clack Their Mandibles Against One Another And Snicker With Amusement."