Author Topic: Political Opinion Megathread Dump  (Read 45960 times)

Offline Dabir

• Talking Pet
    • View Profile
Re: Political Opinion Megathread Dump
« Reply #120 on: May 25, 2009, 03:37:51 pm »
So Dabir, what do you think of the current British scandal? Are your MP's really that incompetent, or is the media blowing things up?
There has been an astounding amount of total stupidity around, a number of people are getting the sack because of it. Basically what we're seeing is a total lack of respect for the spirit of the law rather than the letter, a prime minister with a reverse-midas touch and a 'good guy' party that doesn't stand a hope in hell. If anything, the media could be UNDER-exaggerating it; if someone on the news just said "You lot are a bunch of idiots" they wouldn't be far off the mark. Mind you, there's a glimmer of hope: One expense-fiddler who got found out not only admitted to it, but recommended himself to the head of whatever quango deals with it this week.

Gordon Brown himself seems to have come down with a slight case of the mad dictator disease and refuses to budge from the top of the huge, steaming pile, which doesn't really work in an actual if flawed democracy. Chances are he'll be dragged down, cast aside and replaced with the health secretary on the basis that the health secretary is the only person the Conservatives actually fear, but because of this sudden and bloody coup Labour will lose the next general election anyway, and unless we run into a sudden common sense epidemic that'll let the Conservatives in. From here we will witness the final destruction of the Alliance, and the end of your insignificant rebellion... sorry, a massive break with Europe, a complete loss of social mobility and all our current affairs programs will look like Old Etonian reunions again.

Oh, and a couple of Lords have managed to get themselves kicked out for taking bribes for the first time in more than a hundred years, and the Speaker of the House has got himself kicked out for the first time in a similar period, which serves him right for being a stooge. Bet they're going to be pleased to see their names in the history books. ;D

Offline Lukipela

• ZFP Peace Corps
  • Ur-Quan Lord
  • The Ancient One
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: May 26, 2009, 08:31:12 am »
Thanks for the outline Dabir. It feels weird to talk to a Brit who isn't rabidly anti-EU and doesn't want the British Isles to sail away from "the continent". Over here I had only heard of the Lords thing, but apparently there's a lot more to it? Bummer either way I suppose. Let's hope the good guys manage to prevail somehow, lest I be forced to listen to more anti-EU propaganda

In Finnish news, the priest I mentioned a few posts up finds himself in a bit of a bind. The Orthodox church has now ruled that he is free to participate in the elections as a private citizen, but that as long as he is involved politically he is barred from priesthood. Meaning he can't perform any priestly duties or wear any priest clothes for the duration of his campaign and possible tenure in the EU. Once/If he returns and ceases participating in politics, he'll be able to resume as a priest. I'm pretty happy about that, since it effectively means that we keep religion out of politics, at least in an obvious way.
Round and round it goes, where it stops nobody knows

Offline Lukipela

• ZFP Peace Corps
  • Ur-Quan Lord
  • The Ancient One
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: June 07, 2009, 01:46:12 am »
Gordon Brown himself seems to have come down with a slight case of the mad dictator disease and refuses to budge from the top of the huge, steaming pile, which doesn't really work in an actual if flawed democracy.

And there he still is, despite having five ministers resign on him... He's got spunk, I'll give him that. I'm guessing this is kind of overshadowing the EU elections for you guys eh?

Offline Eth

• ZFP Peace Corps
  • Ur-Quan Lord
  • ½ an animal on a stick!
    • View Profile
    • Famous Battles of the Ur-Quan Conflict
« Reply #123 on: June 14, 2009, 01:13:02 pm »
Man, things are getting hot in Tehran!  What are peoples' opinions on the Iranian election: stolen or not stolen?  I'm thinking...  stolen.  The numbers make no sense at all.

Offline Draxas

• *Happy Camper*
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: June 15, 2009, 06:52:31 am »
Sounds stolen to me. Both candidates claimed 60% of the vote before the results came in, which already seems fishy. And then the incumbent supposedly actually does get 60% of the votes? Even fishier. The whole thing strikes me as a farce, especially considering that most of the Middle East is not exactly known for being a shining example of the democratic process in action.

Offline Shiver

• Talking Pet
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: June 15, 2009, 12:44:08 pm »
It's pandemonium over in Iran right now. The mainstream media isn't covering it very well. Skim through Andrew Sullivan's blog if you're really interested.

Offline Lukipela

• ZFP Peace Corps
  • Ur-Quan Lord
  • The Ancient One
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: June 15, 2009, 07:59:03 pm »
I agree that the results seem very fishy, even though the incumbent has bought a lot of support from the poor. The religious leadership must be getting slightly worried, this is the first time they've had a situation liek this since the Islamic State was founded. And protesting the ayatollah approved president isn't that far off from criticizing the religious leadership itself.

Thanks for that blog link Shiver. Our media is covering thsi somewhat, but everything that comes out of there is pretty confused at the moment. I doubt there is another revolution in the making, but interesting t ofollow still.

Offline Eth

• ZFP Peace Corps
  • Ur-Quan Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: June 16, 2009, 12:16:57 am »
I doubt there is another revolution in the making,
We'll see.  I think that there is a lot of potential there.

Offline Draxas

• *Happy Camper*
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: June 16, 2009, 06:42:11 am »
My lord. Just reading over that blog for the last 2 days shows just how inadequate the news coverage is here in the US. I had only just heard about the screwy election results yesterday morning, and first heard about the violence last night, and it's been going on for days. While I may not be a news hound like some others, I still like to keep up with current events; why isn't this getting constant coverage? Why is there so much worthless fluff and crap on the news when they could be running this coverage?

Offline Lukipela

• ZFP Peace Corps
  • Ur-Quan Lord
  • The Ancient One
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: June 16, 2009, 09:59:42 am »
We'll see.  I think that there is a lot of potential there.

I dunno. Usually these things don't succeed unless the military is at least partly sympathetic to the cause and I haven't seen any indication of that so far. There's a lot of frustrated young secular people in that country, but there are a lot of people who like Khamenei (or at least Khomeini) even if they aren't too fond of the current president. Of course, if they manage to keep up peaceful protests and get slaughtered a few times, things might change. It's really fascinating how they are coordinating themselves through Twitter and the likes now that the government is running electronic interference.

My lord. Just reading over that blog for the last 2 days shows just how inadequate the news coverage is here in the US. I had only just heard about the screwy election results yesterday morning, and first heard about the violence last night, and it's been going on for days. While I may not be a news hound like some others, I still like to keep up with current events; why isn't this getting constant coverage? Why is there so much worthless fluff and crap on the news when they could be running this coverage?

We've had pretty good coverage over here. In particular one of our nationals had a great in-depth feature where they interviewed all sorts of people, from the young secular middle class kid who spent several months in prison for playing rock music at an illegal concert and the guy who gives snowboarding lessons to mullahs to the retired soldiers on pilgrimage and the poor grocery salesman in the country.

In particular I loved the last interview. It was this vry conservative guy in Tehran, who adheres strictly to religion and vote as the mullah say. His wife wears the burkha and votes as he tells her, all very old fashioned. The biggest problem in the family is the 17 year old daughter who won’t wear it and wants fashionable shawls instead. And unlike all the stereotypical descriptions we see of Muslims, the guy just shrugs his shoulder and says “She is young and we are parents, we will have to adapt”. That really shows the humanity.

Offline Eth

• ZFP Peace Corps
  • Ur-Quan Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: June 16, 2009, 10:51:10 am »
Yeah, I don't watch TV news anymore.  I get most of my news from the blogs and other online sources these days. 

Offline Draxas

• *Happy Camper*
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: June 16, 2009, 01:14:28 pm »
I usually ignore the news blogs as partisan crap, and that's usually what the ones I've seen are. But this is different. We had the news on at lunch here at work today, and they talked about everything except this situation: plane crashes that happened months ago, what Obama said on any other subject, you name it. It's unreal; I don't know how they can ignore something like this and still claim to be reporting current events.

Offline Dragon

• Talking Pet
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: June 17, 2009, 03:53:59 am »
I usually ignore the news blogs as partisan crap, and that's usually what the ones I've seen are. But this is different. We had the news on at lunch here at work today, and they talked about everything except this situation: plane crashes that happened months ago, what Obama said on any other subject, you name it. It's unreal; I don't know how they can ignore something like this and still claim to be reporting current events.
Yeah, strangely enough we were discussing this in the office this morning.  Or at least how mainstream news is no longer our source of news and has been displaced by the internets.  Problem there is that one needs some finely tuned bullshit filters to work out whats fact or not.*

I don't know if it's just me getting cynical in my old age but the news seems to be getting more trite as the years pass on.  Or maybe what I consider newsworthy now isn't what is deemed newsworthy for the masses.  Mostly I guess it's cheaper to report on stuff closer to home... or maybe it's the Illuminati's cunning plan to mind control the masses.  Yup, I don't know.

*So nothings changed then.

Offline Rider

• Ur-Quan Lord
    • View Profile
    • Cubicle Webcomic
« Reply #133 on: June 17, 2009, 08:18:51 am »
or maybe it's the Illuminati's cunning plan to mind control the masses.

Nah, we don't do mind controlling. That's so 1960s!
You wish you had a signature like mine

Offline Eth

• ZFP Peace Corps
  • Ur-Quan Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: June 17, 2009, 09:51:22 am »
Yeah, strangely enough we were discussing this in the office this morning.  Or at least how mainstream news is no longer our source of news and has been displaced by the internets.  Problem there is that one needs some finely tuned bullshit filters to work out whats fact or not.*
It's always important to keep your critical faculties operating when you're consuming news.  The blogs are indeed partisan, but it's not like newspapers' editorial policies were unbiased anyway.  I like getting my news from the blogs because I get the news 1-4 weeks earlier than it do from traditional media. 

I don't know if it's just me getting cynical in my old age but the news seems to be getting more trite as the years pass on. 
It's not just you.  I've been reading books on media criticism for years now, and the news is indeed more trite than it used to be.