Author Topic: Political Opinion Megathread Dump  (Read 43173 times)

Offline Lukipela

• ZFP Peace Corps
  • Ur-Quan Lord
  • The Ancient One
    • View Profile
Re: Political Opinion Megathread Dump
« Reply #45 on: March 27, 2008, 11:34:06 am »
I don't know, the main reason for South Africa opposing any action on Mugabe doesn't seem to be anything other than "Well he used to be a fighting brother against the oppressors". Maybe he did a ot fo good opposing previous regimes, but by now he really is insane.

Of course South Africa isn't doing well anyway, protecting themselves against HIv with soapy water, herbs and all manners of gobblegook.

But point taken, perhaps brethren was a bad word. Neighbours? Continental fellows?
Round and round it goes, where it stops nobody knows

Offline Lukipela

• ZFP Peace Corps
  • Ur-Quan Lord
  • The Ancient One
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 19, 2008, 09:20:59 am »
Bumping this with some Finnish new for all you internationally minded people.

Finnish Foreign minister Ilkka Kanerva, who got into trouble messaging an erotic dancer has ben replaced. This is historical in Finnish history, as it's the first time a minister has to leave his post because of a personal scandal rather than a political one Kanerva himself feels that he has done no wrong, that the media has houdned him and that his party leader Katainen has stabbed him in the back. Replacing him is a young (40) minister, Stubb who is more EU and NATO friendly, and not as hot on our very special relationship with Russia.

In between Kanervas text messaging and our prime minister suing his ex girlfriend for writing a book called "The Prime Ministers Bride" and publishing his text messages to her, I'm starting to wish Nokia hadn't made text messaging a reality. At least then, I'd have some real news to read.

In other news, the examination of the Jokela massacre is now completed. Unsurprisingly, it turns out the gunman was severly bullied, and slightly psychotic. Interestingly he apparently spared some younger students.

Offline Eth

• ZFP Peace Corps
  • Ur-Quan Lord
  • an animal on a stick!
    • View Profile
    • Famous Battles of the Ur-Quan Conflict
« Reply #47 on: April 19, 2008, 12:33:05 pm »
In between Kanervas text messaging and our prime minister suing his ex girlfriend for writing a book called "The Prime Ministers Bride" and publishing his text messages to her, I'm starting to wish Nokia hadn't made text messaging a reality. At least then, I'd have some real news to read.
I see that the Finnish press is taking its cues from the American press.  You wouldn't believe that incredibly trivial nonsense that passes for political reporting on the TV here.  It's completely absurd. 

Offline Lukipela

• ZFP Peace Corps
  • Ur-Quan Lord
  • The Ancient One
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 20, 2008, 09:52:24 am »
The tabloids have been for this for quite a while, but during the latest scandal even the big serious papers picked it up and ran with it. I'm not sorry Kanerva is gone, as he's pulled this kind of stuff before, but I do wish our national paper could focus a bit more on more relevant issues.

Offline Lukipela

• ZFP Peace Corps
  • Ur-Quan Lord
  • The Ancient One
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 29, 2008, 12:14:30 am »
Man you americans have crazy elections. How are people even going to be awake for the proper election if the primaries take up this much energy?

Offline Eth

• ZFP Peace Corps
  • Ur-Quan Lord
  • an animal on a stick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 29, 2008, 08:23:58 am »
  They're not usually this crazy.  This one seems to have started early, and Obama hasn't successfully sealed the deal yet, so it keep going.  Clinton only has a very small chance of winning the presidency now, but I guess that's more than most people get. 

Offline Lukipela

• ZFP Peace Corps
  • Ur-Quan Lord
  • The Ancient One
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 05, 2008, 10:29:50 am »
It just seems like reasonable adults could come to some better agreement in this situation than "Lets do the mudslinging for McCain".

Offline Zeracles

• Talking Pet
  • Icon of X
    • View Profile
    • Me
« Reply #52 on: May 05, 2008, 10:45:11 am »
It can't be healthy for a country's government to be paralysed one year in every four. If that's the effect these elections have. Or is it just this one? Maybe it is, for various reasons, but all the same these elections seem a horrible waste of dollars and nervous energy.
Fear not the Arch Viles and Spectres of the Deepest Reaches, for the X is strong in this place.

In my next life I would like to be a pootworm. ANNIGILATE ME!

Offline Eth

• ZFP Peace Corps
  • Ur-Quan Lord
  • an animal on a stick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 05, 2008, 10:52:04 am »
These elections are the only thing keeping the political class accountable.  I'm pretty sure that have some sort of oligarchy would be a lot less healthy. 

It just seems like reasonable adults could come to some better agreement in this situation than "Lets do the mudslinging for McCain".
It has gotten pretty ugly, for a primary.  Clinton's desperate, so she's pulling out all the stops.  That seems to be having the effect of causing her to lose support, however. 

Offline Lukipela

• ZFP Peace Corps
  • Ur-Quan Lord
  • The Ancient One
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 05, 2008, 10:59:00 am »
It can't be healthy for a country's government to be paralysed one year in every four. If that's the effect these elections have. Or is it just this one? Maybe it is, for various reasons, but all the same these elections seem a horrible waste of dollars and nervous energy.

I agree. We elect a president every six years, and the parliament every four years, but even though the political campaigns and such begin a year or so in advance, they aren't as all encompassing.

To give us something  else to ponder, Finnish PM Matti Vanhanen answered a question regarding whether he is worried about the class divide in our society with something along the lines of "We don't really have poor people, only jealous ones".

Oh and Eth, isn't Obama answering at least partly? He also seemed to place his foot firmly in his mouth with that whole "religious white gun nuts" schtick.

Offline Eth

• ZFP Peace Corps
  • Ur-Quan Lord
  • an animal on a stick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 05, 2008, 01:39:07 pm »
  Your PM sounds like a moron to me, but I don't really know what the state of income disparity is in Finland, so I guess I'm not one to judge. 

Obama's not going nearly as negative as Clinton is.  I guess he made some comments about poor midwesterners being "bitter" about their jobs being shipped to China and India.  The media went nuts about it.  I try not to pay attention to such substanceless "issues," myself. 

Offline Lukipela

• ZFP Peace Corps
  • Ur-Quan Lord
  • The Ancient One
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 10, 2008, 09:46:27 am »
  Your PM sounds like a moron to me, but I don't really know what the state of income disparity is in Finland, so I guess I'm not one to judge.

For some reason our current PM seems to embody the finnish stereotype of someone who just wants to get the job done and deosn't want to spend time blabbering about things. this is fine when you weld metal arcs or something, but not quite as great when you're leading the country and telling the newspaper that you don't see why they can't just leave the goverment to do it's job and stop making such a fuss about things.

In regards to income disparity, we had a recession i nthe 90s that hit people pretty bad. It was handled extremely badly and left a lot of people in debt. Other than that, it's mostly arguing about unemployment. As you know we soft hearted sissies don't just leave the sick and unemployed to die in the streets, but rather try to support them until they get back on their feet. The welfare checks haven't grown as quickyl as the economy though (do they ever), which means peopel who are already in a bad situation are ending up worse and worse. But hey, we need to buy expensive helicopters to frighten the russians and pay our farmers insane amounts of money, so what can you do?

Obama's not going nearly as negative as Clinton is.  I guess he made some comments about poor midwesterners being "bitter" about their jobs being shipped to China and India.  The media went nuts about it.  I try not to pay attention to such substanceless "issues," myself. 

His campaign is looking up again, and it really doesn't look like he can lose. I'm not sure why Clinton is still hanging on anymore. Although that preacher gave me a bit of a scare, what a PR nightmare.

Offline Dabir

• Talking Pet
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 10, 2008, 11:24:27 am »
You mean Huckabee? From what I've seen, his only remaining purpose is the following joke:
"Hey, did you hear the one about Mike Huckabee becoming the President of America?"
"Ahahahahaha."

Offline Lukipela

• ZFP Peace Corps
  • Ur-Quan Lord
  • The Ancient One
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 10, 2008, 11:31:21 am »
No I meant Obamas preacher, the guy who thinks AIDS is a US invention and so on and so forth. Not a nice thing to have pop up in the middle of your campaign.

Offline Eth

• ZFP Peace Corps
  • Ur-Quan Lord
  • an animal on a stick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 10, 2008, 02:33:58 pm »
  Yeah.  He's a jerk.  I thought that Obama handled that situation as well as he could have, though.  I doubt that it will have much impact in the general election.  You can bet that the Republicans will throw every crazy allegation they can think of at him, though.   :P

The situation with Hillary is complicated.  Her campaign is in debt. I suspect that she's trying to get Obama to pay off her campaign's debt so that she will drop out of the race.  This, of course, means that Obama would have less money going into the general election against McCain.  The alternative is for Obama to keep campaigning against Clinton, which will also cost him money, and mean that he can't focus against McCain.  I suspect that Obama will call Clinton's bluff, but just start ignoring her after the next primary (in my home state of Oregon).