Author Topic: Political Opinion Megathread Dump  (Read 44086 times)

Offline Eth

• ZFP Peace Corps
  • Ur-Quan Lord
  • an animal on a stick!
    • View Profile
    • Famous Battles of the Ur-Quan Conflict
Re: Political Opinion Megathread Dump
« Reply #150 on: June 30, 2009, 05:25:02 pm »
Even new (cleaner) elections would be good enough in Iran, I think.  Stupid Supreme Leader.   >:(

Offline Lukipela

• ZFP Peace Corps
  • Ur-Quan Lord
  • The Ancient One
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: June 30, 2009, 09:00:17 pm »
Well, he can't really back down once he says that everything is all right. Holding new elections now would be admitting that he was wrong, which might have some unfortunate consequences for him.
Round and round it goes, where it stops nobody knows

Offline Draxas

• *Happy Camper*
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: July 01, 2009, 07:18:38 am »
Of course, a revolution might have consequences too, but I suppose they consider that a less likely scenario. I've heard it's mostly quiet over there now, though the situation is still simmering right under the surface.

Offline Eth

• ZFP Peace Corps
  • Ur-Quan Lord
  • an animal on a stick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: July 01, 2009, 05:33:34 pm »
  See, that's one of the lessons we've learned here in the United States.  When the populace is on the verge of revolt, make a minor concession to cool them off.  It's kept the Powers That Be in power here for over two centuries! 

Offline Draxas

• *Happy Camper*
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: July 01, 2009, 05:44:50 pm »
Well, that and the fact that we know we only have to deal with the idiot in charge for 8 years tops, and probably only 4 if he really pisses people off. There is something to be said for having the knowledge that a peaceful transfer of power is going to occur.

Offline Lukipela

• ZFP Peace Corps
  • Ur-Quan Lord
  • The Ancient One
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: July 12, 2009, 06:14:14 am »
So the Chinese seem to have learned from the Iranian debacle, they cut contact to their rebellious province pretty darn quickly.

Offline Eth

• ZFP Peace Corps
  • Ur-Quan Lord
  • an animal on a stick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: July 12, 2009, 07:19:27 am »
Mmm?  Media contact?  Internet contact? 

Offline Lukipela

• ZFP Peace Corps
  • Ur-Quan Lord
  • The Ancient One
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: July 12, 2009, 07:40:11 am »
Mmm?  Media contact?  Internet contact? 

Everything as far as I understand. Only reporting service is the Chinese state Media, Twitter and the likes shut off.

Offline Eth

• ZFP Peace Corps
  • Ur-Quan Lord
  • an animal on a stick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: December 30, 2009, 01:09:32 pm »
  Man, the situation in Iran has not abated.  It appears that the opposition to the president has even grown in the last few months! 

Offline Lukipela

• ZFP Peace Corps
  • Ur-Quan Lord
  • The Ancient One
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: December 30, 2009, 01:39:28 pm »
  Man, the situation in Iran has not abated.  It appears that the opposition to the president has even grown in the last few months! 

Yeah, they're basically staging protests on all the big days. I've got to hand it to them, they're a courageous bunch. There's a lot of people dying and/or disappearing over there right now. I wonder if we're heading towards a new revolution and a freer Iran or a tough crackdown and an even stricter one.

Offline Dabir

• Talking Pet
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: December 30, 2009, 01:41:26 pm »
Or the entire thing just ending up as a hole in the ground.

Offline Alen

• Ur-Quan Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: January 03, 2010, 05:43:19 am »
I wouldnt be surprised if a revolt happened, and I'd be even less surprised if everyone involved in the revolution disappeared.
And that's all I got to say about that.

Offline Sage

• Talking Pet
  • Hurm
    • View Profile
    • An Infintesimal Speck on an Inconsequential Shard of the Metaverse
« Reply #162 on: January 03, 2010, 06:21:54 am »
Well, if those revolting already know life and freedom (or whatever semblance thereof) is at stake and still aren't deterred, and if their numbers are sufficiently greater than those in power, it's only a matter of time before they zerg rush the current government and replace it with something else.

Now, I know this is a stupid video game joke about a real life situation, where life and freedom really are at stake, but it's not entirely unfounded. Being a citizen of the USA (not "America", that may be a nitpick for the Pissed Off thread), I've been indoctrinated to believe that it is the right of the citizenry to replace its government when the government is functioning completely against the benefit of its citizens. Seems pretty clear to me in this case the government has gone too far and needs to be put in its place.

Of course, now that I've opened that can of worms, its only a matter of time before someone tries to call us Yanks out on what "too far" is and why that point hasn't been reached yet. Practice what you preach, and all that. Yeah, I got nothing there.

For my part, while I'm not one to go out and join the military to fight and most likely die for my country in a war given its current shitty foreign policy, if invaders came shooting and threatening something/one I actually do directly care about, I'll goddamn get a gun and shoot back! Same thing with my federal government. They may be shitting up the rest of the world in more ways than one, and have some people convinced its for the greater good, but for the most part they seem to be at least following something like ethical practices within our borders. If for some reason that changed significantly enough, well, I can be a subversive bastard in the right circumstances. >:D

Not that I think the system we have here in the States is perfect, or even particularly good. Far from it. Perhaps one day I'll just conquer it all and fix the whole thing.

Because the world is a mess, and I just need to rule it. :)

For the record, my place on the political spectrum falls somewhere along the line of "stop complicating all this shit; stop spending money on raises for yourselves; start fixing problems with the system now before you go fixing problems that don't even exist; stop making so many stupidly pointless laws; stop wasting the lives of our best and brightest in other parts of the world when this part still needs so much help; stop wasting money bailing out companies that should just go under; stop wasting time repairing roads and instead build better ones to begin with, or better yet, find a better way to go about personal transit entirely; etc etc etc". If there's a name for that, I have no idea what it is, and I'll probably reject the label on principle.

Offline Alen

• Ur-Quan Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: January 03, 2010, 06:41:36 am »
Several things Sage. One, I agree that if a government is working against what the people want then revolt is nessisary, to some extent of course. Two, nice Dr. Horrable refrance there +1 Karma if it even matters anymore. and three. Im pretty sure sage, that you lie on the rational part of the spectrum.  ;)
And that's all I got to say about that.

Offline Lukipela

• ZFP Peace Corps
  • Ur-Quan Lord
  • The Ancient One
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: January 03, 2010, 07:32:56 am »
Or the entire thing just ending up as a hole in the ground.

Oh I hope not. I love these guys. I've thought for a long time that the whole "Free yourself from opression" just isn't possible nowadays, what with all the new high tech weaponry and control technology we have nowadays. These guys are basically telling me "You're a pompous lazy capitalist swine Luki! What do you know?". And I enjoy that. There's going to be blood over there in the future, much more than right now. But I do hope the people comes out on top.

Quote from: Sage
Of course, now that I've opened that can of worms, its only a matter of time before someone tries to call us Yanks out on what "too far" is and why that point hasn't been reached yet. Practice what you preach, and all that. Yeah, I got nothing there.

We haven't had any Yank haters here in a while I think. Your country, while still perceived as troublesome, is no longer perceived as outright conniving. Well, among the crowd I know at least. Wonders of PR I suppose.