Author Topic: Political Opinion Megathread Dump  (Read 42294 times)

Offline Lukipela

• ZFP Peace Corps
  • Ur-Quan Lord
  • The Ancient One
    • View Profile
Re: Political Opinion Megathread Dump
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2007, 12:10:28 pm »
We should put scientists in charge (c.f. Asimov's Foundation). Clearly we astronomers should be at the top of the new technocracy, government needs a good view of the big picture :)

And then have the evolved mind readers be in charge of the scientists? Sounds like a good setup, if you can read minds.

I'm pretty satisfied with our system actually. Sure, we pay a lot of taxes, but we are given a lot as well. our politicians can be blundering dunderheads, but no system is perfect.
Round and round it goes, where it stops nobody knows

Valaggar Redux

« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2007, 01:06:23 pm »
A healthy society can only be one that heeds the Word of the Gods. Verily I speak unto ye, this rotten world of yours shall soon be unmade and made anew for its disbelief and evil. And it shall come to pass that the Twin Gods rule the new Earth, and I, Their faithful Inquisitor, shall be at Their right, ever ready to fulfill Their commandments.

In that time will the deeds of the dead and the living be judged, and only those righteous who trod upon the Path of Star Control shall be found worthy of eternal life, and the evildoers shall be cast unto the lake of fire and burning SCNot3 CDs, where there are but bugs and wailing and gnashing of teeth. Amen.

Offline Eth

• ZFP Peace Corps
  • Ur-Quan Lord
  • an animal on a stick!
    • View Profile
    • Famous Battles of the Ur-Quan Conflict
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2008, 11:17:58 am »
  Well, the Iowa caucuses were a couple of days ago.  Due to arcane reasons I can barely understand, let alone explain, these are very important for determining the presidential nominee for each party.  American democracy is very old, and very silly. 

Barack Obama was the clear winner for the Democrats, with Edwards and Clinton fighting over second and third places, respectively.  Clinton's in third!  Clinton's in third!  Yay! 

Giuliani is indeed finished, with single percentage point results, just as I predicted earlier in this thread.  Huckabee won.  The Republican Party establishment HATES Huckabee, as his brand of religious conservatism is the kiss of death in the general election.  It's fun as hell to watch the Republican Party's coalition start self-destructing. 

In a few days we have the New Hampshire primary, another Very Important Event.  Stay tuned!

Offline Lukipela

• ZFP Peace Corps
  • Ur-Quan Lord
  • The Ancient One
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2008, 07:52:03 am »
This whole pre-election election thing you guys have is really weird to me. It's like there are two elections, one with loads of candidates and one with just two. Just out of interest, do any third part candidates run fro president, and what is required of them to get their name on the ballot?

Offline Eth

• ZFP Peace Corps
  • Ur-Quan Lord
  • an animal on a stick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2008, 10:26:40 am »
  Third party candidates do run, but they rarely get a signifigant percentage of the vote, and even more rarely win, at least in the national elections.  Third party winners are more common in state and local elections.  There are two third-party US senators right now, but the last third party president that I can recall was Theodore Roosevelt, about a century ago. 

The ballot requirement vary from state to state, I believe, but they generally require a certain number of signatures from registered voters to get a candidate on the ballot.  Generally here in Oregon I've seen candidates from the Constitution, Green, and Libertarian parties on the presidential ballot. 

I have to say that the more I find out about Obama, the better I like him.  I'm actually having second thoughts about Edwards now.  Edwards is a fighter, and I am spoiling for a fight myself, but Obama may be more appealing to voters with his message of hope and an end to partisan infighting. 

Offline Lukipela

• ZFP Peace Corps
  • Ur-Quan Lord
  • The Ancient One
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2008, 11:57:11 am »
DO third party candidates need to get these signatures or whatever from every state for the presidential election? I mean, coudl someone get enough signatures in all states but Alaska, run and win?

Offline Zeracles

• Talking Pet
  • Icon of X
    • View Profile
    • Me
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2008, 12:58:08 pm »
Look out, Luki's thinking of running!
Fear not the Arch Viles and Spectres of the Deepest Reaches, for the X is strong in this place.

In my next life I would like to be a pootworm. ANNIGILATE ME!

Offline Eth

• ZFP Peace Corps
  • Ur-Quan Lord
  • an animal on a stick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2008, 02:46:37 pm »
I mean, coudl someone get enough signatures in all states but Alaska, run and win?

I don't see why not.  Alaska doesn't provide very many electoral votes. 

Offline Lukipela

• ZFP Peace Corps
  • Ur-Quan Lord
  • The Ancient One
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2008, 09:56:38 am »
Look out, Luki's thinking of running!

I doubt I could screw up worse than the current guy ;)

I t just sems unfair somehow, having a president that part of the country couldn't even vote for. I mean, they'd have to vote against him or not vote at all, and what if they liked him?

So if I'm reading you right, a third party candidate should really focus on getting to the ballot only in the big states, and ignore smaller ones?

Offline Eth

• ZFP Peace Corps
  • Ur-Quan Lord
  • an animal on a stick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2008, 11:29:49 am »

I t just sems unfair somehow, having a president that part of the country couldn't even vote for. I mean, they'd have to vote against him or not vote at all, and what if they liked him?

So if I'm reading you right, a third party candidate should really focus on getting to the ballot only in the big states, and ignore smaller ones?

Just because it is possible in theory, doesn`t mean it would ever really happen in practice.  Any candidate with a prayer of winning at the national level would have no trouble getting enough signatures in each state.  The trick isn`t getting on the ballot, it`s getting votes!

Offline Lukipela

• ZFP Peace Corps
  • Ur-Quan Lord
  • The Ancient One
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2008, 08:19:01 am »
Just because it is possible in theory, doesn`t mean it would ever really happen in practice.  Any candidate with a prayer of winning at the national level would have no trouble getting enough signatures in each state.  The trick isn`t getting on the ballot, it`s getting votes!

Oh no, of course not. I just find a system designed that way slightly unnerving. Still, if you want to run, it'd be wise to spend your campaign money in the big states, because those are the important votes.

Oh, and Clinton won in New Hampshire. Too bad.

Offline Eth

• ZFP Peace Corps
  • Ur-Quan Lord
  • an animal on a stick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2008, 08:21:28 am »
  Yeah, that was disappointing.  McCain won there, too.  I think that he could actually give Clinton a run for her money in the General Election, so NH was the worst possible result, "electibility-wise."

Offline Lukipela

• ZFP Peace Corps
  • Ur-Quan Lord
  • The Ancient One
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2008, 10:29:17 am »
So, the democrats election looks exciting. I wonder who will go up against McCain? Maybe Nader? :)

Offline Eth

• ZFP Peace Corps
  • Ur-Quan Lord
  • an animal on a stick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2008, 02:04:32 am »
  Yes, it certainly has been exciting.  I think that if Clinton can win Texas or Ohio, she might be able to stay in the race.  If she loses both of them, she's toast.  Personally, I think she's toast anyway.  Obama's steamrolling her (nicely, of course!).

I don't think that Nader will be an important factor.  Despite what some of the blow-hards on TV say, I don't think that America is begging to be swept off her feet by a third-party in 2008.  Especially not by an asshole like Nader.  I used to love the guy, but he's acted in a completely irresponsible manner lately. 

Offline Lukipela

• ZFP Peace Corps
  • Ur-Quan Lord
  • The Ancient One
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2008, 11:34:46 am »
  Yes, it certainly has been exciting.  I think that if Clinton can win Texas or Ohio, she might be able to stay in the race.  If she loses both of them, she's toast.  Personally, I think she's toast anyway.  Obama's steamrolling her (nicely, of course!).

Over here they are saying that it looks like Clinton had no plan after Super Tuesday. Would you say that is right?