Author Topic: Political Opinion Megathread Dump  (Read 46824 times)

Offline Lukipela

• ZFP Peace Corps
  • Ur-Quan Lord
  • The Ancient One
    • View Profile
Re: Political Opinion Megathread Dump
« Reply #105 on: April 29, 2009, 01:55:09 am »
Because presidents shouldn't wear swim-attire?

Exactly. Presidents and possible future presidents should swim naked. If I'm voting someone in, I think I'm entitled to knowing what their naughty bits look like.

Interesting point about Huckabee Eth, but if the current economy straightens itself out won't his platform be a lot less secure? Also, why are you a democrat partisan when your presdient has declared that "The time for partisanship is over"?
Round and round it goes, where it stops nobody knows

Offline Dragon

• Talking Pet
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 29, 2009, 02:45:32 am »
I think this needs to be considered on a case by case basis.  I - for one - do not want to see John McCain either naked or in a bikini.

Offline fossaman

• Ur-Quan Lord
  • The Fossa will rule you all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 29, 2009, 02:14:15 pm »
According to the History Channel's series 'The Presidents' skinny dipping in the white house pool is apparently a long and time honored tradition.

Just thought I'd throw that out there.
Brick Flail!

Offline Shiver

• Talking Pet
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 29, 2009, 06:15:43 pm »
Interesting point about Huckabee Eth, but if the current economy straightens itself out won't his platform be a lot less secure? Also, why are you a democrat partisan when your presdient has declared that "The time for partisanship is over"?

I think he wants to be bipartisan, but in reality this is impossible. American politics is full of platitudes, I'm afraid.

Offline Eth

• ZFP Peace Corps
  • Ur-Quan Lord
  • an animal on a stick!
    • View Profile
    • Famous Battles of the Ur-Quan Conflict
« Reply #109 on: May 02, 2009, 12:35:54 am »
Also, why are you a democrat partisan when your presdient has declared that "The time for partisanship is over"?

A.  I don't agree with him. 
B.  The President needs to represent all of America, not just his party.
C.  I am under no such obligation.  I represent no-one other than myself and (occasionally) my family.  I am a partisan democrat because the party tends to work in directions that I agree with, as opposed to the Republicans.  If we had a multi-party system, I would have more choices, but we have a two-party system here, and I understand that now.  My obligation is to help to make sure that we elect better democrats in the primaries, and more Democrats in the general elections.

Offline Lukipela

• ZFP Peace Corps
  • Ur-Quan Lord
  • The Ancient One
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 07, 2009, 03:25:44 am »
Thanks for the explanations. The American political system feels quite odd to us Europeans, so it's always nice to get a view from the inside. Speaking of multi-party systems, do any of you think that the Republican party will fraction into several smaller parties, thus creating such a system? Or is it just probable that they'll lose some of their support  groups but still remain one of only two political giants?

As an aside, in Sweden the Pirate Party seems to have gained enough support to get someone into the European Parliament. After the recent Pirate Bay trials they've seen a upswing in support, though it remains to be seen if that support will materialise on election day.

In Finland we've had a minor debate spring up when the most well-known orthodox priest in Finland, Father Mitro announced his candidacy for the European Parliament elections. The Orthodox Chruch was not pleased with him posing in candidate pictures with his robes, since it is forbidden for orthodox priests to partake in politics as clergymen. It looked like quite a bit of drama unfolding, until Mitro quickly folded. He's still a candidate of course, but now as a private person instead of a priest. Personally, I'm pretty pleased with that. I'd prefer religion and state to be as separate as they can be.

Oh, and Silvio Berlusconis wife is getting a divorce. Good for her. Berlusconi has pretty much made Italy the joke of European politics.

EDIT and bump: Stumbled upon an article on why Berlusconi makes most Europeans laugh. figured this might interest our non-european posters. Top ten berlusconi moments we remember.

1 April 2009

Two days after Italy's biggest earthquake for thirty years made 17,000 people homeless, Mr Berlusconi toured some of the tent sites around the L'Aquila, where the earthquake struck and said those made homeless should see it as a camping trip.  He told German N-TV: "Of course their current lodgings are a bit temporary but they should see it like a weekend of camping." Tent cities were put up in the Abruzzo region of central Italy, where people endured freezing temperatures. In contrast to his breezy assurances, a woman staying in one of the tent cities screamed: "Shame on you!" She said many people did not even have a tent to stay in.

2 April 2009

Mr Berlusconi missed a symbolic Nato photo and a ceremony for fallen soldiers because he was too busy talking on his mobile phone. He later told journalists he was tempted to tell the Italian press to "go to hell" after they ridiculed him. He promised to stop holding press conferences and the next day he held a press briefing but did not take any questions. Days earlier, he was accused of embarrassing his country by yelling a greeting at US President Barack Obama and earning a rebuke from the Queen during an official G20 photo shoot in London. He bellowed: "Mr Obama!", to which he received a quiet response of "Mr Berlusconi" from the US President. The Queen bristled at his booming voice and said: "What is it? Why does he have to shout so loud?"

YouTube footage of the event was a hit in Italy, with one clip posted on the website titled “Bothersome Berlusconi, reproached by the Queen.”

3 March 2009

The 72-year-old self-made billionaire said his response to the global economic crisis was different to that of President Obama because “I’m paler”. “I’m paler because it’s been so long since I went sunbathing. He’s more handsome, younger and taller,” said the media mogul. Also accused of being racist, or at least gauche, in November 2008 when he hailed then President-elect Obama as “handsome, young and also suntanned”. Mr Berlusconi accused his critics of lacking a sense of humour, and a few days later repeated the observation about Mr Obama’s mixed-race skin tone.

4 January 2009

Mr Berlusconi caused outrage by saying that although he was considering deploying 30,000 troops to Italy’s cities, there would never be enough soldiers to protect Italy’s many “beautiful girls” from rape. After the opposition party said his comments were profoundly offensive, Mr Berlosconi said his comments were meant as a compliment to Italian women. He said rape was a serious crime, nevertheless people should not forget their good sense of humour where his comments are concerned. In 2003, he advised investors in New York to relocate to Italy because the secretaries were better looking than their American counterparts. “Another reason to invest in Italy is that we have beautiful secretaries... superb girls.” He also told the New York stock exchange: “Italy is now a great country to invest in... today we have fewer communists and those who are still there deny having been one.”

5 January 2007

Mr Berlusconi said to a former showgirl and men’s magazine model, Mara Carfagna: “I’d go anywhere with you, even to a desert island. If I weren’t already married, I would marry you straight away.” His wife, Veronica Lario, reacted by writing a letter published on the front page of La Repubblica newspaper calling for a public apology. She duly received one. Mr Berlusconi later made Miss Carfagna his equal opportunities minister.

6 August 2008

Mr Berlsconi managed to offend "one of the great artists of liberty" when he painted over an exposed breast in a copy of a 254-year-old masterpiece for fear of causing offence to the public. Giambattisto Tiepolo's Time Unveiling Truth was chosen for display in Mr Berlsconi's press room, but months after it was put up, he arranged for one of his aids to paint a white veil over the offending exposed nipple. A leading Italian art critic said: "What have they done? This is madness, absolute madness." The governor of the Veneto region, Giancarlo Galan, said: "The Prime Minister's office has managed to offend one of the great artist of liberty."

7 July 2003

Caused a political row at the start of Italy’s EU presidency by referring to a German MEP, Martin Schulz, who criticised him for his alleged links to the mafia, as a “concentration camp guard”. He told the German: “I know that in Italy there is a man producing a film on Nazi concentration camps - I shall put you forward for the role of Kapo (a guard chosen from among the prisoners) - you would be perfect.” He later claimed he had been joking and had been thinking of a character from the popular TV series Hogan’s Heroes, set in a Second World War POW camp.

8 March 2006

Offended China by declaring: “Read the black book of Communism and you will discover that in the China of Mao, they did not eat children, but had them boiled to fertilise the fields.” Later conceded: “It was questionable irony ... because this joke is questionable.”

9 June 2005

Boasted that he had had to “dust off my playboy charms” to convince Finland’s female prime minister to set up the EU Food Safety Authority in Parma, Italy, rather than in Finland. Added the observation that: “Parma is synonymous with good cuisine. The Finns don’t even know what prosciutto is.”

10 March 2008

During a group photo of EU leaders in 2002 he made the Italian horned “cuckold” gesture with his hand behind the head of the Spanish foreign minister, suggesting he was being cuckolded. Mr Berlusconi said he was “just joking” and was trying to amuse a group of boy scouts who were nearby, but the gesture was felt to be out of place at an international summit.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2009, 03:28:57 am by Lukipela »

Offline Zeracles

• Talking Pet
  • Icon of X
    • View Profile
    • Me
« Reply #111 on: May 07, 2009, 05:21:39 am »
Oh, and Silvio Berlusconis wife is getting a divorce. Good for her. Berlusconi has pretty much made Italy the joke of European politics.

. . .

. . .

Boasted that he had had to “dust off my playboy charms” to convince Finland’s female prime minister to set up the EU Food Safety Authority in Parma, Italy, rather than in Finland.

I'm predicting that his next exploit will be marriage to your prime minster, Luki :-*
« Last Edit: May 07, 2009, 05:25:55 am by Zeracles »
Fear not the Arch Viles and Spectres of the Deepest Reaches, for the X is strong in this place.

In my next life I would like to be a pootworm. ANNIGILATE ME!

Offline Eth

• ZFP Peace Corps
  • Ur-Quan Lord
  • an animal on a stick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 07, 2009, 10:54:48 am »
Thanks for the explanations. The American political system feels quite odd to us Europeans, so it's always nice to get a view from the inside. Speaking of multi-party systems, do any of you think that the Republican party will fraction into several smaller parties, thus creating such a system? Or is it just probable that they'll lose some of their support  groups but still remain one of only two political giants?
My opinion on how things are going now for the Republicans is that they will become a regional party (in the southeastern portion of the United States) for a time.  We will essentially have one-party rule through out a good 3/4 of the US.  Not a good thing, as that sort of stuff causes massive corruption.  On the other hand, the Republicans managed to bounce back from the whole Nixon fiasco much faster than I would have believed possible, so who knows?  They need to change their philosophy, though, because they are simply being left behind by the public at large. 

Yeah, we hear about Berlusconi's shenanigans over here in the US, too.  He's a real piece of work. 

Offline Cedric6014

• *Happy Camper*
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 08, 2009, 02:14:22 pm »
Although, you might be interested to know that the states with the highest % votes republican in the 2008 election were the cowboy states:

Oklahoma       65.65
Wyoming       64.78
Utah               62.58
Idaho       61.53
Alabama       60.32
Alaska       59.42
Arkansas       58.72
Louisiana       58.56
Kentucky       57.40
Tennessee       56.90
Kansas       56.61
Nebraska       56.53
Mississippi       56.18
West Virginia  55.71
Texas       55.45
South Car.      53.87
Arizona       53.64
North Dakota  53.25
South Dakota 53.16
Georgia       52.20
Montana       49.52
Missouri       49.43
North Car.     49.36
Indiana       48.91
Florida       48.22
Ohio               46.91
Virginia       46.33
U.S. Total       45.66
Colorado       44.71
New Hamp.    44.52
Iowa               44.39
Pennsylvania  44.29
Minnesota       43.82
Nevada       42.65
Wisconsin       42.31
New Mexico   41.78
New Jersey   41.70
Michigan       40.96
Washington   40.48
Oregon      40.40
Maine       40.38
Maine       40.36
Connecticut   38.22
California       36.95
Delaware       36.95
Illinois       36.78
Maryland       36.47
New York       36.03
Massachus.   35.99
Rhode Island  35.21
Vermont       30.44
Hawaii       26.58
DC                 6.53

Offline Eth

• ZFP Peace Corps
  • Ur-Quan Lord
  • an animal on a stick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 09, 2009, 09:28:42 am »
  Those states are not very populous and are trending Democratic.

Offline Lukipela

• ZFP Peace Corps
  • Ur-Quan Lord
  • The Ancient One
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 21, 2009, 08:16:48 am »
So Dabir, what do you think of the current British scandal? Are your MP's really that incompetent, or is the media blowing things up?

Offline Draxas

• *Happy Camper*
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 21, 2009, 10:47:44 am »
Cedric, I love that chart primarily for one reason: Waaaaaaaaay down ther on the bottom of that list, you can see Washington DC with the lowest % by far. If the folks in our nation's capital can't stand them, and they would have to live with them, what does that say about the rest of us? :)

In all seriousness, I understand that DC is heavily urbanized and quite poor in many areas, and the people would have good reason to vote Democratic, but I still find it rather funny.

Offline Cedric6014

• *Happy Camper*
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 21, 2009, 01:02:13 pm »
In all seriousness, I understand that DC is heavily urbanized and quite poor in many areas, and the people would have good reason to vote Democratic.

Indeed

It's also got a lot to do with a lot of government jobs being in DC, and people who work on policy tend to vote left - whether they're rich or poor

And to take Eth to task - I'm fairly certain those cowboy states are trending republican more than the southern states - but I havent got aroudn to dredging up the facts to back that up

Offline Shiver

• Talking Pet
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: May 21, 2009, 03:18:19 pm »
And to take Eth to task - I'm fairly certain those cowboy states are trending republican more than the southern states - but I havent got aroudn to dredging up the facts to back that up

Good job taking him to task there.

Offline Eth

• ZFP Peace Corps
  • Ur-Quan Lord
  • an animal on a stick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 21, 2009, 06:57:29 pm »
Yeah, wow Cedric.  I have truly been humbled.   ::)