Author Topic: Where are you heading?  (Read 32394 times)

Offline Bleeding Star

• Ur-Quan Lord
    • View Profile
Re: Where are you heading?
« Reply #90 on: July 24, 2009, 05:01:48 am »
Bloody nowhere, if I can't find a job. Fucking recession.

Cedric says:
In about a month I’ll travel to California to meet up with my fiancée (who arrives there about two weeks earlier). We’ll marry on 29 August at Lake Tahoe – on a boat!

Then we’ll fly to Europe and tour the sausage countries for a month before heading to South East Asia for another month. Then we’ll return home to NZ (and our cat)  and recommence our normal lives.

Damn I'm jealous. The holiday, not your fiancee. Not that I'm saying she's hideously ugly or anything. What's a sausage country? Poland, Germany, etc?

Offline Lukipela

• ZFP Peace Corps
  • Ur-Quan Lord
  • The Ancient One
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 30, 2009, 12:39:39 pm »

Sorry to hear that, good luck with finding something.
Round and round it goes, where it stops nobody knows

Offline Alen

• Ur-Quan Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 30, 2009, 06:54:02 pm »
ouch. Recession can be a big bitch at times... unfortunately the only thing that people have found that stops recessions so far has been war.
And that's all I got to say about that.

Offline fossaman

• Ur-Quan Lord
  • The Fossa will rule you all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 30, 2009, 08:40:01 pm »
It doesn't seem to have worked this time.

Now, if we had to mobilize most of our male population and convert all our car factories to make tanks...
Brick Flail!

Offline Alen

• Ur-Quan Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 30, 2009, 09:10:53 pm »
we would have alot of bad quality tanks. thanks alot ford!

Offline Rider

• Ur-Quan Lord
    • View Profile
    • Cubicle Webcomic
« Reply #95 on: August 02, 2009, 02:50:24 pm »
Wacken was awesome!!

We got to interview a bunch of cool bands, among which GWAR, which was pretty cool, and the band that ended up winning the Wacken Metal Battle. We seem to have a sixth sense for that kind of thing. On top of official business, the festival was great, the atmosphere awesome and the bands stunning. Most notably Heaven & Hell and Doro.

I'm pooped now, and off to bed.
You wish you had a signature like mine

Offline fossaman

• Ur-Quan Lord
  • The Fossa will rule you all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 02, 2009, 04:36:20 pm »
we would have alot of bad quality tanks. thanks alot ford!

Mmm...not necessarily. That was a tongue in cheek reference to the industrial mobilization during WWII. Pretty much everybody got a job making military hardware. As a result, the US had a lot more manufacturing capability at the end of the more than it had at the start.

Having just won a war was probably pretty good for consumer psychology as well, of course.
[rerail?]
Brick Flail!

Offline Alen

• Ur-Quan Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 02, 2009, 04:48:16 pm »
I know what they could do. Build roads... Lots of roads.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2009, 11:26:04 am by alen »

Offline Bleeding Star

• Ur-Quan Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 04, 2009, 02:23:45 am »

Sorry to hear that, good luck with finding something.

Thanks. It turns out my contract got extended for another year so I can stop stressing about jobs for the time being. This is a good thing, as academic job applications are a massive pain in the rear end.

Offline Lukipela

• ZFP Peace Corps
  • Ur-Quan Lord
  • The Ancient One
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 10, 2009, 02:21:21 am »
Thanks. It turns out my contract got extended for another year so I can stop stressing about jobs for the time being. This is a good thing, as academic job applications are a massive pain in the rear end.

Congrats! Enjoy being gainfully employed for another year. With luck, the recession will be almost done by the time your new contract is up.

Offline Alen

• Ur-Quan Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 10, 2009, 02:24:31 am »
Always good to be employed. unless its a really bad job (Septic tank cleaner.)

Offline Lukipela

• ZFP Peace Corps
  • Ur-Quan Lord
  • The Ancient One
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 16, 2009, 10:40:18 am »
So right now I'm sitting in a hotel room in a foreign country called Sweden. Tomorrow I start working with a new customer here, doing new and exciting things. And in 3 weeks I'm supposed to get a flat of my own if everything works out. I've left friends, girlfriend and everything I know behind. It feels weird to be all on your own in a foreign place, yet at the same time exhilarating. I miss my life, but there are new challenges to be met. I've been planning this for over a year now, and now that it's come true I can't quite fathom it.

But here I am. I guess for a while now I won't be heading anywhere, just hunkering down and working. It's odd, almost like when I first got a job. After striving for something fro so long I almost feel lost when I have no immediate goal.

Offline Alen

• Ur-Quan Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 16, 2009, 10:53:52 am »
Awesome, hope you get the flat there. Sweden's a beautiful country. How far are you from your old place if I may ask?

Offline Bleeding Star

• Ur-Quan Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 18, 2009, 02:01:48 am »
So right now I'm sitting in a hotel room in a foreign country called Sweden. Tomorrow I start working with a new customer here, doing new and exciting things. And in 3 weeks I'm supposed to get a flat of my own if everything works out. I've left friends, girlfriend and everything I know behind. It feels weird to be all on your own in a foreign place, yet at the same time exhilarating. I miss my life, but there are new challenges to be met. I've been planning this for over a year now, and now that it's come true I can't quite fathom it.

But here I am. I guess for a while now I won't be heading anywhere, just hunkering down and working. It's odd, almost like when I first got a job. After striving for something fro so long I almost feel lost when I have no immediate goal.

Good luck. It can be a bit disorientating. Hope there's not too much bureaucratic nonsense to deal with -does being an EU citizen reduce the amount of red tape? Once you've got your shit sorted make sure you make time to stop and smell the roses (or local equivalent).

Offline Lukipela

• ZFP Peace Corps
  • Ur-Quan Lord
  • The Ancient One
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 28, 2009, 06:09:45 am »
Awesome, hope you get the flat there. Sweden's a beautiful country. How far are you from your old place if I may ask?

It takes me about 8 hours to go home, including a 1 hour plane trip, so not super far. By boat it's pretty much a day or so.

Good luck. It can be a bit disorientating. Hope there's not too much bureaucratic nonsense to deal with -does being an EU citizen reduce the amount of red tape? Once you've got your shit sorted make sure you make time to stop and smell the roses (or local equivalent).

It does reduce that stuff, especially since the Nordic countries have been working together on stuff like this for a long time. While the rest of the EU is excited about easier movement, we've had that for quite a while here. Still, there are some hoops to jump through. And the fact that my company HR seems to think that sending someone to another country isn't really much of a priority and that things can be settled sometime in an unspecified future is a tad annoying. Once I get my flat next week I'll stop up and start smelling a bit more.