Author Topic: Where are you heading?  (Read 32188 times)

Offline Rider

• Ur-Quan Lord
    • View Profile
    • Cubicle Webcomic
Re: Where are you heading?
« Reply #75 on: June 09, 2008, 12:01:01 am »
So how about when you're an artist with a social security check?

Or does that just make you a bum?
You wish you had a signature like mine

Offline Eth

• ZFP Peace Corps
  • Ur-Quan Lord
  • ½ an animal on a stick!
    • View Profile
    • Famous Battles of the Ur-Quan Conflict
« Reply #76 on: June 09, 2008, 09:01:57 am »
Depends.  Are you actually producing art every day, or is "artist" in quotation marks?

Offline Rider

• Ur-Quan Lord
    • View Profile
    • Cubicle Webcomic
« Reply #77 on: June 09, 2008, 01:19:34 pm »
Well... every day... I produce art on a pretty regular basis... it just isn't in any fit state to sell/release when I produce said art and I'm currently not taking enough steps to change that fact.

Aren't artists notoriously lazy? ;D

Offline Zeracles

• Talking Pet
  • Icon of X
    • View Profile
    • Me
« Reply #78 on: June 09, 2008, 06:24:57 pm »
That's why so many of them are starving ;)
Depends.  Are you actually producing art every day, or is "artist" in quotation marks?
Ooh, yeah why not, "artist" in quotation marks. Like my avatar (but I do other stuff too).
Fear not the Arch Viles and Spectres of the Deepest Reaches, for the X is strong in this place.

In my next life I would like to be a pootworm. ANNIGILATE ME!

Offline Lukipela

• ZFP Peace Corps
  • Ur-Quan Lord
  • The Ancient One
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 19, 2008, 04:00:07 am »
Fossa: Well that certainly sounds like an adventure. I'm glad to hear you're doing better. And imagine, the world is your oyster now. All you need is to get some physical therapy (swimming maybe?) out of the way, and you can do anything you like. The future is all yours. Spooky, eh? As for studying, I'd recommend thinking long and hard about wehat you want to do. If I've understood things correctly, studying is extremely expensive in your country. It's important that you like what you do and find it interesting, but it might be wise to consider how to pay off your student loan as well. Interest of the monetary kind is a bitch.

But of course, if you figure your artisitic talents can keep you afloat then great! in that case you've got the monetary side set and can basically do whatever else you want.

Zeracles: The weather is nice here in the summer, and in winter it builds character. And speak about your sports all you want, this isn't the country thread. Although I'm surprised anyone here plays cricket, it's fairly obscure in the north.
Round and round it goes, where it stops nobody knows

Offline Eth

• ZFP Peace Corps
  • Ur-Quan Lord
  • ½ an animal on a stick!
    • View Profile
    • Famous Battles of the Ur-Quan Conflict
« Reply #80 on: June 19, 2008, 09:52:38 am »
you can do anything you like.
Actually, you can't.  Sorry.  [/pedantic]

Offline fossaman

• Ur-Quan Lord
  • The Fossa will rule you all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 19, 2008, 11:35:46 am »
Actually, you can't.  Sorry.  [/pedantic]

If I want to strip naked and climb the statue of liberty while singing "O Canada" I darn well can! The arrest afterwards is just incidental.

Luki: Yeah, interest sucks. But my parents were smart about saving for college, so there's a fair bit in the bank. If I've got a job (or other source of income) at the same time, it shouldn't be a problem.

In other news, I have become the victim (beneficiary?) of a bizarre twist of fate. You know how I'm planning on selling art? Well, the lady who runs the photo lab where I ordered the prints from just happens to be a high school teacher at a school specifically for preventing kids from dropping out. She introduced me to the principal, and they think that if I take some Running Start classes (classes at the community college that I can get high school credit for) I can finish my high school diploma within two years, just squeaking in under the wire before public education washes its hands of me. This is the best idea I've heard in a long time. Definitely going to run with it. Icing on the cake? I might be able to earn an associate degree at the same time.
Brick Flail!

Offline FreakyM

• Ur-Quan Lord
  • GENOCIDE CUTTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 20, 2008, 11:29:06 pm »
Do it, then. Don't pass up a chance like that.
The Controversial Subject lives on.

Offline Lukipela

• ZFP Peace Corps
  • Ur-Quan Lord
  • The Ancient One
    • View Profile
Bumbeti bump, bumpety bee, I smell the blood of an elfish tree!
« Reply #83 on: July 20, 2009, 02:17:25 am »
SO I figured I'd bump this old livejournaly thing just for fun. You know it's weird, looking at the post above I realise that we haven't been talking in here since before fossa started his own company. It's weird to see him ponder it just a few posts up and know that by now he has actually realised that dream. Congratulations!

Anyway, I figured I'd bump this mostly because big changes are coming for me. They're partly tied to the economy, but partly my own desire as well. As ardent readers of this thread might recall, I work as a process design engineer for a big consultancy company. For the last 1,5 years I've been working for a single customer close to home, learning a lot about the oil refining business. But that's all over now.

You see, consultants like me sometimes come in to solve just one specific problem. But we can also be hired for longer periods, when a company doesn't have enough manpower to fulfil their own obligations, but are still wary of hiring new employees. When I started with the current customer, that was exactly the case. They had more work than they could handle, but since a recession was already somewhere on the horizon they didn't want to hire more people. SO I did the same work as they're own process designers, sitting in their building and working exclusively with them. But now the recession has hit them as well. No more consultants can be hired, and everyone attached to the company is being cut loose as they now have surplus manpower. So that means I need to find something else to do. Unfortunately, most other businesses are struck by the recession as well, there's no one that I can be rented out to.

Except... About a year ago I floated the idea past my boss that I'd like to go abroad. I've been silently working on that, having a few promising places fall through. But with impeccable timing, around the time it became clear that there will be no new work with the current customer, it was confirmed that there is an opening in Sweden. I speak the language and have most of the credentials, so come August I'm moving to a new country to work. It really worked out well, since the alternative here would probably have been to be included in the next set of layoffs. Instead, I get to go learn new things about how stuff works.

It's not all roses of course. My significant other is straying behind, since she is still studying. The trip isn't long, but having lived together for 3 years it'll still be very odd to be apart so much. Once I get my flat she can easily come over and visit, but I'll be spending the first 2-3 weeks in a hotel where that isn't as easy.

So anyway, I'm heading to Sweden. Where are you heading?
« Last Edit: July 20, 2009, 02:34:19 am by Lukipela »

Offline Draxas

• *Happy Camper*
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 20, 2009, 07:44:37 am »
Come Nov. 1st, wherever married life takes me. Already that means I've gone from New Jersey to Pennsylvania. Perhaps going other places is in the future, though our current plans have us staying put for a while.

Offline Cedric6014

• *Happy Camper*
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 20, 2009, 07:00:16 pm »
Draxis I’ll beat you to married life by about 2 months.

In about a month I’ll travel to California to meet up with my fiancée (who arrives there about two weeks earlier). We’ll marry on 29 August at Lake Tahoe – on a boat!

Then we’ll fly to Europe and tour the sausage countries for a month before heading to South East Asia for another month. Then we’ll return home to NZ (and our cat)  and recommence our normal lives.

Since we’ve been living together for five years we don’t expect marriage to dramatically change us too much. But it does mean the option of working in the US is a possibility (once they’re over their stupid recession).

Offline Rider

• Ur-Quan Lord
    • View Profile
    • Cubicle Webcomic
« Reply #86 on: July 21, 2009, 12:30:18 am »
Wow, lots of big events coming up! Marriage, moving abroad. Kudos on taking control over your lives I suppose :)

The must eventful thing on the horizon for me would be Wacken Open Air 2009.

Offline Lukipela

• ZFP Peace Corps
  • Ur-Quan Lord
  • The Ancient One
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 22, 2009, 05:20:30 am »
Yeah, congrats to you folks tying the knot! Your trip sounds pretty rad Cedric, if it happens to take you via Sweden let me know ;). Are you looking to work in the same capacity in the states as you are now in NZ?

Did you play there?
« Last Edit: July 22, 2009, 05:49:32 am by Lukipela »

Offline Rider

• Ur-Quan Lord
    • View Profile
    • Cubicle Webcomic
« Reply #88 on: July 23, 2009, 12:25:49 am »
Did you play there?

I friggin' wish! It's only the single largest Metal event of the year. Playing Wacken, even the smaller stages, means you can start living off of your music now.

But no, we're going to the festival with some other folks from HeadbangersFM (formerly Power Metal Radio) to do some interviews, hang out at the backstage and have a good time. It'll still be awesome though, it's the 25th anniversary edition this year :)

Offline Cedric6014

• *Happy Camper*
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 24, 2009, 03:22:18 am »
Yeah, congrats to you folks tying the knot! Your trip sounds pretty rad Cedric, if it happens to take you via Sweden let me know ;). Are you looking to work in the same capacity in the states as you are now in NZ?

Did you play there?

Wont make it to Scandinavia, but funny thing, my little brother is also going to Europe after the wedding and he is going to Norway and Sweden. That is unusual for a kiwi tourist. i have no idea why he's going