Author Topic: My suggestion, well, kind of.  (Read 2063 times)

Offline Buckethead

• Hunam
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
My suggestion, well, kind of.
« on: May 06, 2003, 12:25:33 am »
 I picked up Master of Orion 3 when it came out, not because I have played any of the previous games, but because I am a fan of star control.

I realize that star control isn't really a 4x strategy game, but in a way it is. Playing MOO3, I found myself wishing for star control superimposed over the boring game I was playing with very little storyline, and no elements of discovery besides the tech tree, and a few leaders which you stumble over from time to time, which help tell the story a bit better, but not much.

If the game had been set in the S.C. universe, and had melee battles instead of the boring point and click a.i. controlled ones, and had more things to discover on unknown worlds, it would have been perfect. Not to mention it has online MP capability, which as it is now, is broken, but playable to a point.

I know MOO3 isn't a bad game, but with star control and melee battles it would have been so much better, not to mention adding precursor weapons into the mix.

So to recap, I think star control 4 should be a 4x strategy game, with melee battles, and of course the thrill of discovering more parts of the story, and the history of the alien races. Oh and the ability to play online or on a lan.

The idea is already there as far back as star control 1, so don't tell me they will make the game another shooter, like those bums did to poor X-com.

I expect to get flamed for this but can you blame me for buying a crappy game because I wanted to play an overdue updated version of star control?

Offline AR81

• Hunam
  • I had a romance with Talana!!
    • View Profile
Re: My suggestion, well, kind of.
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2003, 01:17:27 am »
Star Control 3DO version is ready to download at http://sc2.sourceforge.net/

To run under Windows you need to download:
uqm-0.2-win32-installer.exe
uqm-0.2-voice.zip
uqm-0.2-source.gz
uqm-0.2-content.zip
uqm-0.2-3domusic.zip

There are still bugs. You might report them to the UQM team. It has bugs because their main concernis to convert from console to PC. It is open source so I guess there is no problem with downloading it.

Don't forget to sign the petition for a new Star Control game at http://dynamic.gamespy.com/~starcontrol/petition/

Also visit my SC gallery at http://www.classicgaming.com/starcontrol/fan/3drender13.shtml

I own MOO2, I agree that it doesn’t have the feeling SC games had.  MOO2 is one of those turn based strategy games.  The strategy itself is interesting.  What a shame it doesn’t inspire anything.  I call that a game of imagination, you imagine there is some action instead of living it.

IMO, MOO games are more a board game than a SC game.

I have found that X Beyond the Frontier (XBTF) is more similar to SC than MOO games.
The demo of XBTF is available at
http://www.egosoft.com/x/download/x_eng.exe

I think XBTF could have been like Starcon 2.  However the story line is a bit short and therefore the game.  However it is interesting.

Offline Guesst

• Talking Pet
  • Ancient Shofixti Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2003, 02:10:38 am »
Sorry to say, man,  but if you add MOO aspects to SC2, you'd end up with SC3. Think about it, man. SC3 had the eXpand, eXplore, and eXterminate aspects of a 4x game. I can't remember what the 4th X was, but I think SC3 had it.
Which brings up an intersting point. SC3 was not a bad game,  just a bad implimentation of what could have been a really good game.
But still, I think it sucked.
main(){char b[11]="\toooo.OOOO";int e=5,n,t=0;puts("\t123456789");puts(b);for(;n
&&strcmp("\tOOOO.oooo",b);puts(b)){n=getche();if(n-='0'){if(n>0&&n<=9&&(abs(n-e)
==2||abs(n-e)==1)){b[e]=b[n];b[n]='.';e=n;t++;}}}if(n)printf("\n%d moves\n",t);}

Offline AR81

• Hunam
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2003, 02:47:56 am »
It is like Battlecruiser.  It was a great concept with poor implementation.

Concept:  A Battlestar galactica type vessel which carries 4 all terrain vehicles, 4 shuttles, 4 fighters, and you&#8217;d be capable of piloting any of them and issue commands on the rest.  You can dock with space stations and trade goods there.

Implementation  
Targeting system via popup submenus, not hotkeys.
Fighters with short range weapons and low AI missiles makes dogfighting boring.
Battlecruiser turrets go back to start position if you drop the joystick, it is annoying.
Lack of awareness of the situation.
Too complex an interfase to perform simple tasks.
You start with a green crew that is basically incompetent so they get killed too easily and you must do everything on your own.
There is nothing to do on planet surfaces but take a trip and roam the surface of the planet.
AI bugs causes battlecruiser and shuttles to crash on the ground if it enters atmosphere.
Some ships disappear from the universe after passing a jumpgate.  That is inconsistency.
Lack of characters to talk to.
Annoying crew voices.
Poor sound FX.
Poor Midi music.
Poor planet textures (I had to make a custom set of textures on my own).
Boring and poor gameplay.

Offline Scott_Irving

• ZFP Peace Corps
  • Ur-Quan Lord
  • XR Webmaster / PNF Deputy
    • View Profile
    • XR: The Movie Project
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2003, 08:13:54 am »
ah yes X, much cool game,Id like to see newer verisons with the better game engine and such...

Offline AR81

• Hunam
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2003, 08:47:42 am »