Author Topic: Story of next Star Control?  (Read 7956 times)

Offline Niffiwan

• Deep Child
  • Huffi - Muffi - Guffi
    • View Profile
Story of next Star Control?
« on: March 14, 2003, 03:48:11 pm »
What are your ideas/suggestions for what the story of SC4 could contain?  

I've thought about this a bit, and here are mine...

Just a note before I get started; I personally don't think that SC3 should be completely passed off as unnofficial and the story picked up from where SC2 left off.  That would not only confuse a lot of people, but SC3 left a lot of mysteries and open ends for a sequel in its own right.

Ok, then:

- The Xchaggers... did any of you feel something was not quite right when the one you talk to tells you that they reproduce every few minutes and live for centuries?  That they rose to sentience and starship-building in a few years?  Plus that little innocent idea they all have that all other life is unneccesarily complicated?  It's almost a catastrophe waiting to happen!
Perhaps SC4 could have a much more mature (those guys tend to develop quickly), much more advanced and much more numerous Xchagger race decide that it's not profitable for them to remain with the Alliance and begin forging a rapidly expanding empire, devouring resources of whole worlds in the process.

- The Orz.  At the same time that the Xchagger empire threatens to overwhelm the Alliance, the Orz could quietly decide that it's time for most of them to come through into this dimension lest their possition in this dimension be weakened.  They slowly but surely begin working behind the scenes to do... what?
The Arilou, meanwhile, try to use their failing but still considerable strength to stop the Orz.

-  The dimension that the Slylandro were pulled into (supposing this is what happened), meanwhile, is left mostly unguarded, allowing a desperate secret mission by the Alliance to sneak past the Orz and pass through a hole into that dimension.

-  And let's not forget the Taalo...

Various side notes:

- The Ploxis population could build up to a stable level

- The Vyro-Ingo and the VUX, and their reunification.

- The other races that the Kzer-Za slave shielded?

- Mystery of the Clairconclar?

Well, just a few ideas...  how about yours? :)

Do you think the Xchagger idea could happen?

Offline Guesst

• Talking Pet
  • Ancient Shofixti Warrior
    • View Profile
Well...
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2003, 07:54:15 pm »
I agree that there were some interesting story elements of SC3 that could be kept. However, I believe the unholy raping of the Precursors was an inexcusable error on the part of the makers of SC3. (Didn't at some point the sylandro or someone tell you the Precursors were fuzzy and big enough that a 3 seater Precursor lander seated 12 humans?) Also, most of SC3 was aimed at phazing out the characters of SC2. The whole VUX/Vyro-Ingo situtation and many others were aimed so that the next game, if SC3 would have sold well, would alow them to totally phaze out FF & PR3's influence in thier franchize.
Good Ideas, what you got there. If the thought is to make SC3 a big dream it might be possible to incorporate aspects of SC3 into SC4 with some loosly concieved story resolutions.
main(){char b[11]="\toooo.OOOO";int e=5,n,t=0;puts("\t123456789");puts(b);for(;n
&&strcmp("\tOOOO.oooo",b);puts(b)){n=getche();if(n-='0'){if(n>0&&n<=9&&(abs(n-e)
==2||abs(n-e)==1)){b[e]=b[n];b[n]='.';e=n;t++;}}}if(n)printf("\n%d moves\n",t);}

Offline Solo4114

• Deep Child
  • Scoundrel...I like the sound of that...
    • View Profile
Re: Story of next Star Control?
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2003, 01:08:27 am »
I just don't see a way to keep the original SC2 storyline going if we DON'T ditch SC3's plot and pass it off as a dream of some sort.  As was stated, the trend in SC3 is to get rid of as much of the previous two games as possible.  Looking at the SC4 screenshots we have, it looks like there was going to be much more emphasis placed on the new races introduced in SC3.  So I say dump SC3, call it a dream, call it apocrypha and ignore it altogether, whatever.  Just don't use it as the point from which the story must continue.  

As for this confusing people, I doubt it would, really.  Any game review that came out would probably say "There was a game called SC3, but the original creators weren't involved in it, and many fans of the original games really viewed it as an abomination.  Let's be clear here:  (insert game title for SC4) is NOT a continuation of that story."  That, in fact, is the whole point of having trademarks: to indicate origin and give people a clue as to what they can expect from the product.  If the game was released as "Fred Ford and Paul Reich, III present: The Ur-Quan Masters II: Challenge of the Precursors" or something, you'd have a clue as to the content of the game, namely that it would NOT be SC3.  Also, due to the fact that, I think, FF & PRIII only own the copyrighted material from SC1 and SC2, and NOT SC3, they wouldn't be ABLE to continue the story of SC3.  Not only do they not own the trademark "Star Control" for computer game software, they probably also don't own the CONTENT of SC3.  Thus, it looks as if UQM2 would HAVE to be a continuation of SC2, unless the guys want a big ol' lawsuit on their hands.  I'm also betting that they LICENSED the copyrighted materials from SC1/2 to Accolade, and did NOT ASSIGN them (which would be a full transfer of ownership rights).  I'd have to take a look at the contracts, though, to be sure.  Hey guys, wanna shoot an aspiring intellectual property attorney a copy of the documentation from your involvement with Accolade?  Feel free to e-mail me.  :)

Winged Wraith

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2003, 12:07:18 pm »
I agree that sc3 should be ingnored. It had some good parts, but i was, in general, pretty dumb.

Their should be more orz and arillo in ugm2 (if uqm2 every happens). The orz are possible the best race, or at leased i think so.

Offline AR81

• Hunam
  • I had a romance with Talana!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2003, 01:32:30 am »
There is a way to overcome SC3.
SC3 raped the concept of precursors&#8230; why?  There was a space anomaly that distorted and mixed universes.  That mixture had a knot a point where the merging process started.  Since the anomaly was open, anomalies started to occur.  Travelling to past is not possible but the anomaly changed that, so you can travel and alter reality, but you can&#8217;t alter anything prior to the appearance of the anomaly.

Let&#8217;s guess that the mixture of dimensions will lead to the final destruction and it is caused by a sinister power awakened by the Ur-Quan after the destruction of the Sa-Matra.  Or it could be the Orz which imprisones the Androsynth and the Androsynth in an attempt to escape, allied a race that caused that dimensional mess.

Such distortion had only changed the future but at a given time it would change the past and it caused the precursor past to be raped by history.  Such rape was caused by an alien race that attempted to obtain precursor technology for themselves.

The anomaly can be closed.  So you must travel to the point where it started and change everything and correct history so the universe will go back to normal.  That would allow to fix any lose ends in SC3 and it would allow to reconfigure the history of all races.

Offline QuantumTyger

• Hunam
  • *Loner*
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2003, 04:52:50 pm »
A VERY cool book for everyone who maybe needs a little inspiration for story ideas is Stephen Baxter's 'Vacuum Diagrams'....that book has some AWESOME ideas....one of which would be kinda cool with the Precursors...what happened was the 'overlord' race..the Xeelee..needed more time in their fight against dark matter life....so they edited their own history by sending seedships back to right after the beginning of the universe in order to begin their massive projects right away and so they'd be ready even earlier....that concept is just incredible to me...I'm not sure y...plus there's tons of other great stories in that book.....definitely check it out!
Tyger, Tyger burning bright
In the forest of the night

In what distant deeps or skies
Burnt the fire of thine eyes?

What immortal hand or eye
Dare frame thy fearful symmetry?

Scorpius OB1

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2003, 05:23:52 am »
My ideas:

>First,to give more ship classes (shuttles,freighters,support vessels,etc),for all races.The Avatar does not seem to serve well as a freighter  ;D

>Although for me SC3 was nothing but a BIG crap,I
believe we could rescue some of the races that appear there -the K'tang,for example;their warships are my favourite ones of all the SC3 ships-.

>What about one race even more powerful and mightier than the Ur-Quan or the Precursors? -no matter if they come from the Magellanic Clouds,Andromeda,the Virgo galaxy cluster,or another universe-.Nothing of Eternal Ones or another godlike beings;just one race like the SW Galactic Empire with huge warships,planet-destroying vessels and other nasty stuff.Imagine that,after being defeated,the Ur-Quan and the Kohr-Ah leave this region of space and find that race that almost wipe them out and they have to ally with the Alliance -that maybe has also been attacked by that race- to fight against them.If well developed and managed,it could give a lot of play.What do you think?

Offline Rider

• Ur-Quan Lord
    • View Profile
    • Cubicle Webcomic
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2003, 05:53:15 am »
I think that SC3 is a pretty good proof that the Ur-quan would make horrible allies...
You wish you had a signature like mine

Offline Tou-Foo-Rol

• *Happy Camper*
  • &quot;Don't you wish your life had more Frungy?&quot;
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2003, 05:15:23 pm »
I'll just pretend I didn't hear that...
... and then on the 9th day, there was Flubbo...

Offline Guesst

• Talking Pet
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2003, 03:03:51 am »
Good to see some action on this branch of the forums. I was beginning to think no one cared any more about Suggestions For The Next Star Control.

This post has gotten into me. I've been thinking alot lately about what I'd like to see, specifically in the story for the next Star Control.

First of all, to comment on previous posts:
I agree that sc3 should be ignored. It had some good parts, but I was, in general, pretty dumb.

Ditto. I know yawl love some of the ships, and that's great. However, if the next SC were modable, someone could go and make the SC3 ships for you so you don't lose them in melee. But, no mention of the SC3 specific characters, or any of the bastardizations of them that SC3 gave us.

>First,to give more ship classes (shuttles,freighters,support vessels,etc),for all races.The Avatar does not seem to serve well as a freighter  :)

Hmm, I think this has a few problems. First, we’re creating far too many ships, which would drag development time into years. Second, how many variations of shuttles, freighters, and support ships are there? If we continue the New Alliance of Free Stars (or as I like to call it, the empire of ME) into UQM2 (To distinguish it from the evil SC3) then we’d only need one type of shuttle or freighter for all Alliance ships.

Interesting aside. FF & PR3 was going to have, when you attacked a starbase, you go into battle with the starbase itself. However, every race did not have a Starbase. There were only 2 to choose from. Alliance and Heirchy. They both functioned the same, however.

Since this idea wasn’t implemented we could add one ship class to a few of the races, a starbase. Enter melee with a starbase and any ships in orbit around it would be the first to attack, then the starbase itself would have a chance to defend itself. Some species would just use the generic UrQuan base (as seen in SC2),  some species would have their own, some still wouldn’t have one.

My next post will be my take on the story.
main(){char b[11]="\toooo.OOOO";int e=5,n,t=0;puts("\t123456789");puts(b);for(;n
&&strcmp("\tOOOO.oooo",b);puts(b)){n=getche();if(n-='0'){if(n>0&&n<=9&&(abs(n-e)
==2||abs(n-e)==1)){b[e]=b[n];b[n]='.';e=n;t++;}}}if(n)printf("\n%d moves\n",t);}

Offline Guesst

• Talking Pet
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2003, 04:17:49 am »
Okay, story time. First of all, UQM2 would need to have multple story lines. Some absolutely necessary, some not so. IN SC2 you did not need to save the shofixti. Of couse if you didn't you could not start the Yehat Civil War and if you did not then at the SaMatra you would not end up with a boost of Yehat and Pkunk ships in time for the final battle. Not that I used them, but still, it was not necessary.

Also, I'd like a multi-branching story line where the final threat to the universe could be attacked and beaten more than one way.

Also, I'd like this game to not be one game, but multiple episodes. And each episode is made up of small missions. The missions would be alot like SC1's full game but with expanded features. Fog of War, multple races, conversations screens, etc.

The main threat would be, get ready for it, the Mmrnmhrm's parent race. A giant AI with no regard for biological lifeforms, viewing them as pest to be swatted, which I will call Ai. When the MotherArc started dying it sent out a distress signal to this Ai for repair before blinking out entirely. Ai immedately set out to repair the MotherArk and is only just arriving in this region of space. When it arrives and discovered that the MotherArc has been dismanteled and the Mmrnmhrm are nowhere to be found, it decides to start again. Last time it found a region free from biological pests (Because the Kohr-Ah had been through) but this time it's home region is swarming with pests and it's extermination time.

Episode 1
Mission 1
Opening with a dialogue between the captian of the previous game (now an admiral in the New Alliance of Free Stars) and the Chmmr.
Chmmr: Our scans indicate that the UrQuan are no longer a threat to this regon of space. All allied races are safe.
Admiral: Yes. Working together we have ended the UrQuan threat. What is out next order of business?
Chmmr: A disolvement of the Alliance.
Admiral: A ... What? Why?
Chmmr: Maintining an alliance beyond it's purpose is pointless and dangerous. And we need to return to our chrisilas to repair the damage done by you when you forced us to emerge.
Admiral: Which if I haddn't of done you'd be dead.
Chmmr: For which our gratitude overshadows our ire and is sparing you from retibution.
Admiral: Why I oughta ... What about the alliance. We need it still.
Chmmr: For what?
Admiral: Policing the Galaxy and making it safe for Free Market!
Chmmr: We care not.
Admiral: Exploring strange new worlds. Seeking out new life, and new civilizations. Boldy going where no Alliance race has gone before!
Chmmr: We care not.
Admiral: Fighting for Truth, Justice, and the Alliance way.
Chmmr: We care not. All of your reasons can be done without us. Maintain the Alliance if you wish. We withdraw ourselfs from it, then. Good bye.
[Chmmr logs out.]
Admiral: [to you] How to you like that for gratitude. "Thanks for saving the galaxy, ta ta." I'm telling you, since the SaMatra the Alliance has been losing races left and right. The New Yehat Queen has already told us she only wants to be friends, taking the Pkunk and Shofixti with her. The Arilou have all disapeared taking their quasispace portal with them. And the Orz seem to have been disapearing too.
You: At least we still have the Suppox, Utwig, Zot-Fot-Pik...
Admiral: Don't forget the Syreen.
You: I hardly expect you to. Well, Admiral what do we do next?
Admiral: The Councel of Alliance Races has indicated we need to first expand slowly and I agree. I have a mision for you. It's not glorious but will you take it?
You, as the newely apointed captian of one of the New Alliance of Free Stars (NAOFS) flag ships has been given the assignment of buiding up a new system. Previously in UrQuan space, this region is rich in minerals. However, before mining operations can commence you need to establish colonies to support the mines. (1 colony supports 4 mines). Locate suitable worlds and establish 4 colonies.
...continued in next post...

Offline Guesst

• Talking Pet
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2003, 04:19:13 am »
...continued from previous post...

As you progress in this level you will find the first 3 life worlds will be easy to find. The 4th will have an enemy in orbit, either a Kzer-ka or Kohr-ah, initiating your first battle. This level will basicly be a tutorial level. However, if you place your last colony on the right world you will find Fwiffo is already there, and a dialogue will ensue.

Fwiffo: Hunam! How good to see a friendly face, even one as strange and alien as your own. I am Fwiffo, ex-captian of what is left of this vessel.
You: Fwiffo? The same Fwiffo that fought at the SaMatra Battle?
Fwiffo: Well, not so much fought at as ran from.
You: That's not how the report goes. According to the report you were an integral part of the victory there.
Fwiffo: Don't believe everything you read captian. True, I was there, but when I saw the overwhelming odds against us my cowardace got the best of me. I broke off from the fleet and ran, eventually running out of fuel and crashlanding here. I alone survived and have turned this wreckage into a fort of personal protection.
You: Fwiffo, would you care to join our fleet. My flagship still has the plans and ability to build you a new eluider.
Fwiffo: Are you sure? Do you really want the coward of the SaMatra battle to join you? No captian, I'm afraid I must refuse your offer. Besides, as a ship this eluder offered only mild protection, but as a fort of personal protection I have never felt safer.
[Urgent Incomming Transmission]
You: Hold on Fwiffo, I have to take this call.
Black Spathi: Captian, forgive our intrustion. I am captian Phlendo of the Black Spathi Squadrin.
You: Hello. I am captian [name] of the Alliance of Free Stars. I'm sorry, but I've never heard you before.
Phlendo: That is because we have not wished to be heard from. We are a renigade band of Spathi who, unlike our brothers are unafraid of battle. We have been searching this area for the Hero of the SaMatra and are aware that even now you are in communication with him. May we speak to Fwiffo.
You: Be my guest.
[Confrence call initiated]
Phlendo: It is true. Fwiffo, you are alive.
Fwiffo: Yes,  who are you?
Phlendo: I'm sorry, I forget myself. I am Phlendo, captian of the Black Spathi Squadrin and have been looking for you.
Fwiffo: You have?
Phlendo: Yes. We have been seeking you out ever since we learned of how you personally engaged and led away 6 combined Kzer-za and Kohr-ah ships from the SaMatra, allowing the Hunam captian to destroy the Samatra.
Fwiffo: I did?
Phlendo: Yes. And how you fearlessly led them to their deaths flying them into a commets path. Ah, we still sing songs of it to this day.
Fwiffo: You do?
Phlendo: Yes. Fwiffo. We want you to join us, to lead and inspire us. Please, say that you will.
Fwiffo: I..I don't know.
Phlendo: You will be given command of your own command vessle to lead us from.
Fwiffo: Is is well armored?
Phlendo: Like the carapice beast of our home world.
Fwiffo: Is it well armed?
Phlendo: Better than the combined might of the 6 ships you destroyed.
Fwiffo: Does it have an escape option?
Phlendo: A modified eluder with improved thrust is only moments from the command deck?
Fwiffo: Hmm? And will I be allowed to have my new hunam friend here join me, if (s)he wishes?
Phlendo: You are the commander.
Fwiffo: Then, Phlendo, my spathi brother, I will join you.
Phlendo: Joy and rejoicing. I will notify my the others and we will come and get you.

After this dialogue you will take a side mission where you will be in command of the black spathi fleet. I haven't put together exactly what happens at this point, besides you getting Spathi ships added to your Alliance.

If you don't find Fwiffo the game just goes along the main story line.

I also want to see one branch of the game go to anti-quasispace where we find the Ur-Quan have had a base for years, battling the Orz and is in a stand off. You offer your help, but the Ur-Quan demand that you be under their command and install safety measured that they agree to remove at the end of the battle. However, after you beat the Orz back, the Ur-Quan refuse to grant your request for freedom. You are now a slave race and they do not negotiate with slaves. (Bad ending)

In the good ending you gather and restore all pieces of the mother arc (one of which is in anti-quasispace) and as many "dead" Mmrnmhrm as you can find before the Ai gets to it and it'll restore the Mmrnmhrm  to life and leave. If you don't do it in time Ai will destory all biological life in that region of space so it's children can have a pest-free start.

I know this is kinda the beginning and then end with nothing in the middle, but that's really all I have at the moment.

Thank you for reading this and I hope you have enjoyed it.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2008, 06:59:47 am by Guesst »

Offline youBastrd

• Hunam
  • This sounds creepy. &nbsp;Please go on.
    • View Profile
    • My Webpage
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2003, 09:42:12 am »
very cool ideas, Guesst.  I've always wanted the next Star Control game to be fully modular, like the Neverwinter Nights and Icewind Dale games.  With so many people around with lots of ideas, this could be the next big extendable/moddable game (until Half-Life 2 comes out in October, lol).  Imagine a co-operative multiplayer adventure... although if every player is the same captain from sc2 wandering the universe again, we can't all go and try and get booty from Talana... or can we?

Why not give a small plot a go in CTree?  It's fun and very profitable!*

* results may vary
youBastrd!
Developer, TW-Light
"I'm not a robot like you. I don't like to have discs crammed in me... unless they're Oreoes, and then, only in the mouth."
--Fry, Futurama

Offline Rider

• Ur-Quan Lord
    • View Profile
    • Cubicle Webcomic
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2003, 10:31:05 pm »
I think this is an awesome idea(s) and you should mail TFB about it. Now all we need is 3 Million Dollars and we have the next SC!

btw, HL2 is released end of September
You wish you had a signature like mine

Scorpius OB1

« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2003, 04:20:42 am »
Of couse if you didn't you could not start the Yehat Civil War and if you did not then at the SaMatra you would not end up with a boost of Yehat and Pkunk ships in time for the final battle. Not that I used them, but still, it was not necessary.

Heh,talking about Yehat,here's something for them:Surely,the Veep-Neep clan dislike to be no more the ruler of the Yehat people,and no doubt that more Yehat will think so.What about the Veep-Neep and their allies leaving the new Pkunk/Yehat Empire to join what remains of the Hierarchy?