Author Topic: Suggestion for the next Star Control  (Read 16206 times)

Offline Guesst

• Talking Pet
  • Ancient Shofixti Warrior
    • View Profile
Suggestion for the next Star Control
« on: February 18, 2003, 04:02:46 pm »
Okay, I've given this a bit of though. What if the full game bit of sc1 were expanded to include story elements and real time play and this were the way of team beige telling their story.

My idea is this: (it's a bit long, so bear with me)
o Make the maps static (random possible in certian cercumstances) so as to avoid the "I'll just re-load until the map favors me.
o Make certian planets game events where the game would either switch to converstaion or combat.
o For Real-time missions ration out movement points to spawn once or twice a second. When you make a move that will take more that one movement point (moving your starbase) your moves are frozen until you build save up the necessary points. Travel and building fortifactions, mines, and colonys will only use up one point but will take as a second to finish, freezing your ship unless you interupt them.
o Enounters in deepspace during travel are possible, but like SC2, encounters in deepspace will simply take place around the closest planet.
o Combat and converstaion will pause the gameplay. Combat encounters will open with converstation, but depending on your status with the opponent it may be a very short converstaion.
o Levels will be introduced with a animated (or semianimated) story segment.
o Individual ship advantages will remain as they were in SC1 with new ships getting additional assists. (arlou could past fortifactions. Ur-Quan besieged fortifactions without trying. Syreen when destroying a colony would first recrute the colony to her crew. Mycon would always after every battle have a full crew compliment.) Not every ship was given advantages.
o A new ability would be available at starbases to switch the precursor upgades from one ship to another in orbit around the station. (How many time have I wished my spathi's pthrusters were on my vux)
o Movement from a colony costs no movement points, but still takes time to impliment.

Unfortunately I'm a great idea man, but lousy as a programmer or I'd try to make this as a front end to Timewarp. I think the converstion engine would be the hardest part (yes, I've seen c-tree) since it'll need to govern 90% of in-game events.
I also think this'd be great as a multi-player game with either random maps or maps made specifically for multi player games.
Any thoughts, suggestions, or master programmers inspired to try this out?
main(){char b[11]="\toooo.OOOO";int e=5,n,t=0;puts("\t123456789");puts(b);for(;n
&&strcmp("\tOOOO.oooo",b);puts(b)){n=getche();if(n-='0'){if(n>0&&n<=9&&(abs(n-e)
==2||abs(n-e)==1)){b[e]=b[n];b[n]='.';e=n;t++;}}}if(n)printf("\n%d moves\n",t);}

Offline Galactus

• Hunam
  • You will satiate my hunger!
    • View Profile
Re: Suggestion for the next Star Control
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2003, 12:59:26 am »
Some things I would like to see in the new SC are

• See that renegade brave Spathi
  • Show up hte Mark II mentioned at the end of SC2
  • Finding precursos upgrade midules like in SC 1
  • I would like to have the option of a communications blackout, so I don't have to talk to freindly aliens that intercept me in hyperspace
  • No more animatronics

Offline Lukipela

• ZFP Peace Corps
  • Ur-Quan Lord
  • The Ancient One
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2003, 06:13:24 am »
I'd like to see the Androsynth.
Round and round it goes, where it stops nobody knows

Offline AlmightyBob

• Hunam
  • Craxy, thats Crazy with an 'X'
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2003, 12:52:01 pm »
I think the story should revolve around finding what happened to the androsynth.  It was such a mystery in SC2, and I don't think any really knows what truely happend(even PRIII and FF). those cursed Nnngnn things anyway
« Last Edit: March 04, 2003, 12:52:26 pm by AlmightyBob »
I'm desperately trying to figure out why kamikaze pilots wore helmets.

Offline Chad

• Evil One
  • Ur-Quan Lord
  • PNF Webmaster
    • View Profile
    • The Pages of Now and Forever
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2003, 01:49:52 am »
In the Creators chat, they said that an idea they were thinking of for the sequel was the Androsynth.  8)
"...Dogar And Kazon Clack Their Mandibles Against One Another And Snicker With Amusement."

Offline Phosis

• Hunam
  • Ex Infernis
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2003, 01:19:21 pm »
It should be the same as SC2, for freedom of travel. The starmap should be static 3d, but with many spheres of influence. Therefore it would use a system like Metroid prime, where you select the 'zone' of the map, in certain chunks, and zoom in to see what is there. Instead of leaving solar systems simply by flying away you would have to make a jump into hyperspace...from there, you could fly freely through hyperspace, and the 'portals' into true space would be black globes, in full 3d.

as for battles...it could be done a number of different ways. It could be done classic sc2 style...rpg style battles where when you touch the enemy, etc. you start into melee. that would be the preffered way. Another way would be to have that system for hyperspace, with globes chasing you (nothing is more frightening then having a black globe chase you down.) and in truespace, it could be done colony wars style, where the enemies simply attack you (lame.)

as for travel, it would have to be done in a colony wars perspective, behind the ship. It would be hard to see things this way, like enemies chasing you...two things could fix this. The camera could zoom way out, and warn you when the enemies approach from behind, giving you lots of time to react. other ways would be an extremely advanced, yet simple to use radar system.

To see what portals to truspace led to, in other words, what systems, as you got closer, small tabs would appear in front of them with the names...and you could go into your starmap anytime as well. Clicking on the tab would send you reeling into autopilot...making things much easier to control.

Melee and stuff is a little more complex to think about...it would be fun in 3d...but...only if it was done right. I would hate to see them botch that part.

Mineral collection would work the same, but in full 3d, so you would almost feel like you were in a different game when you land...same controls, etc...but instead of floating around in hyperspace, you would be jetting at full speed across the surface of a hostile planet...now how cool would THAT be? Asteroids could also be mined in truespace...and mining stations could be set up as well, to make your life a little easier while you were off blasting ur-quan.

An idea I had for melee would be to have your flagship out all the time, watching from the distance. When you got into a battle, it would seemlessly move from non-combat to combat...You would be facing the enemy fleet. a small screen would pop up, asking what ship to deploy...and you would get, say, 10 seconds of freeze time to choose. Choose the ship, and you actually see it leave the docking bay, and begin a one on one fight to the death with the enemy. That ship blows up, and the camera goes back behind your flagship, asking you to pick the next ship...and so on. Ideas for actually combat are not many at this point...it is too hard to imagine for me.

Conversations would work the same. It would be a little less basic then previous games, giving you a wide range of options to select...meaning, lots of talking if you wanted.  The character profiles would preferably be drawn....or at least excellently rendered...and would no doubt have the best animations you have ever seen...with more then two simple movements. And the syreem would have to be super hot to make up for the ugliness from SC3.

Thats all the ideas I have for now..but it is how I have always envisioned the new starcon game in 3d.
Hurrah!

Offline Scott_Irving

• ZFP Peace Corps
  • Ur-Quan Lord
  • XR Webmaster / PNF Deputy
    • View Profile
    • XR: The Movie Project
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2003, 09:35:57 pm »
Reminds me the defunct Starcon (starcontrol 4) in some ways, cause it was based off colony wars..

Offline Guesst

• Talking Pet
  • Ancient Shofixti Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2003, 11:39:58 pm »
Ah,  it's good to see another well thought out idea on what someone wants in the next starcon. Thanks Phosis. I like some of your ideas. I agree that it seems fishilly like starcon for the PS1, but then again, if FF & PR3 were in charge of the development, starcon might have been a cool game.
main(){char b[11]="\toooo.OOOO";int e=5,n,t=0;puts("\t123456789");puts(b);for(;n
&&strcmp("\tOOOO.oooo",b);puts(b)){n=getche();if(n-='0'){if(n>0&&n<=9&&(abs(n-e)
==2||abs(n-e)==1)){b[e]=b[n];b[n]='.';e=n;t++;}}}if(n)printf("\n%d moves\n",t);}

Offline Solo4114

• Deep Child
  • Scoundrel...I like the sound of that...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2003, 02:47:03 am »
Honestly, I wouldn't care about spiffy 3D graphics.  I'd be perfectly happy if they released a TRUE successor to SC2 that used the same designs and graphics as SC2, and simply continued its story.  You could develop the Precursors more, where they went, what they were doing in the region of the galaxy that we're in, etc.  You could continue story lines about the various races in SC2, and especially focus on what the hell happened to the Androsynth.  

If they wanted to revamp the graphics/interface, maybe make the exploration in space be 3D, a la Wing Commander or Privateer or what have you.  Then again, in terms of managing a fleet, I don't think that the Wing Commander style of flying really lends itself to 1.) exploration and 2.) fleet-based combat.  

I'm sure there's an effective way to manage this, though, and you could bring in 3D flying, etc. and do it successfully.  Maybe have it done more like Bridge Commander (though I never played that game).  Now, as for the aliens and the communications screens goes, I'd say leave the interface the same.  You pick pre-selected responses, and they respond to you.  I'd add voices, of course, making sure they sounded BETTER than the lame-ass voice acting in SC3.  AND NO PUPPETS.  The animatics in SC3 looked HORRIBLE.  They made the Syreen look not at all sexy, and more creepy than anything.  There is another post in here suggesting that the 3D objects be cel shaded, which could be cool and would lend itself to the sort of cartoony look of SC2 (which I've always liked).  

Naturally, the game should also keep its sense of humor.  That was one of the key things that kept me replaying the original games.  Honestly, if FF and PR3 design the game, I have faith in the end product.  they know that the real fans hated SC3 and loved SC2, and they know that SC3 ruined their story.

As for how to get around the story...well, when your escape capsule blew out of the MKI, you WERE asleep for a few days...  Could be that, just like Who Shot J.R., it was all just a dream.  :)

Offline Scott_Irving

• ZFP Peace Corps
  • Ur-Quan Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2003, 10:15:11 am »
I point out again that aliens in SC3 were robots, though that's not much diffrent than puppets heh. The bridge commander way of fleet control would work pretty good in SC. Being a trek fan I have played the game plenty.

Offline Solo4114

• Deep Child
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2003, 01:07:25 am »
I heard they were animatics.  Kind of a mix between puppets and robots.  You still work them using a puppeteer, but it's not like you've got your hand up their ass or something. :)

Anyway, in Bridge Commander, do you actually control a fleet or just the one ship?  Actually, a 3D exploration mode might be cool, though you'd need appropriate readout screens to know when, say, another ship is closing in to suck you out of hyperspace, where the nearest star is, and give you the ability to change course mid-flight.  It could be pretty cool though.  Maybe FF and PR3 should get in touch with Larry Holland...

Offline Scott_Irving

• ZFP Peace Corps
  • Ur-Quan Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2003, 06:15:30 am »
You sorta control the other ships, they have a mind of their own to a degree but you can give them orders, like attack this ship, go here, scan this, protect me etc...
and you can switch views from your 'ship' to the other ships in your fleet.

Offline Solo4114

• Deep Child
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2003, 07:58:10 am »
Hmm...interesting.  Might be kind of fun, but I honestly really enjoy the old super-melee method of fighting.  The one on one aspect and the simple, yet nuanced aspect of fighting in it always made it a pleasure.  

It'd be cool if they could make a little super-melee mini-game, say, as something in your Captain's Quarters on the MKII that you can play in your "off time" from the bridge, while retaining the main game's Bridge Commander style.  That might work well.  

I may have to pick up a copy of Bridge Commander, come to think of it.  I never did because 1.) it was never sold at the price I wanted to pay and 2.) I heard the single player campaign was short and there wasn't much by way of replayability.

Offline Rider

• Ur-Quan Lord
    • View Profile
    • Cubicle Webcomic
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2003, 06:02:34 am »
Pretty good ideas here... I can almost picture the new SC.

Hey, what about changing ships in Hyperspace? Like, if you have to go somewhere fast, you'd pick a fast ship and if you are about to meet aliens, you pick a strong one. Although you'd get with the reality problem, what happened to that huge ship I was just flying? did it just disapear in this guys pocket?

I'd really like to see a way to reply your battles. Like you just fought this amazing battle, you did some moves that you didn't even knew where possible and you just save it and send it to your friends, family, this board etc.

And ofcourse NETplay would be great... Melee online??
You wish you had a signature like mine

Offline Niffiwan

• Deep Child
  • Huffi - Muffi - Guffi
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2003, 01:50:41 pm »
Well, for those who think that the melee should be 2D:

There's no way that a 2D melee game would be successful in today's PC or Console market.  Most people would be instantly put off by the screenshots, I think.  :'(

UNLESS they release the game on a handheld, like the Gameboy Advance or some of the other ones (N-Gage, GP32, B'ngo)...

Of course, that's a lot riskier, what with the high cartridge prices and licensing from Nintendo...