Author Topic: Star Control 2 on a handheld?  (Read 3434 times)

Esn

Star Control 2 on a handheld?
« on: March 12, 2003, 04:01:41 pm »
Hi, everyone.

It's been quite a while since I've been on the Pages of Now and Forever... but even when I was here I never posted on the boards very much.  Now, however, I come back to discover that the SC2 source has been released (even if it's the squished-character-screen 3DO version) and that SC2 is being rereleased as The Urquan Masters to run on modern machines.

This got me thinking; would be possible to port SC2 to this little handheld: ( http://gp32.emu.pl/ ) ?

It's an open source machine, somewhat like Linux, so anybody can develop for it, and it uses C++ (I think) as the programming language.
If you look at the right sidebar on the link above you'll see that already many emulators and game ports are released/being created for this wonderful little handheld; it has already proven itself capable of emulating 16-bit systems and PC games like DOOM (all freeware), and there's even a GBA emulator in the works.  It's only released in Korea as of yet (their European distributor broke the contract; it was going to be released in Europe this Christmas), but it's already gained a huge international developer following (just look at the discussion board on that site, or better yet, search for it on Google).

This should be quite possible for anyone who knows how to code.  I don't, and am therefore forced to hope against hope that someone in the SC community will be interested enough in this to give it a try... I mean, come on guys?  Playing SC2 on those long airplane flights? ;)

Ah, well...  I didn't think so.  :p Has anyone here even heard of the GP32? ( http://english.gamepark.com/ )

Offline Scott_Irving

• ZFP Peace Corps
  • Ur-Quan Lord
  • XR Webmaster / PNF Deputy
    • View Profile
    • XR: The Movie Project
Re: Star Control 2 on a handheld?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2003, 07:10:25 pm »
How about using one of the dos emulators? Ive got one for my pda and I did load starcontrol 2 however had some problems, have to play with the config file some to get it running properly. Ive got a Casio Em-500 btw, ive played doom for the ppc's and quake 1 and even found a quake 2 one time..

Esn

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2003, 06:13:47 am »
Nah... you'd need a 386 emulator or something simular; DOS is just an OS.

Thing is, the resolution on this handheld is perfect for SC; it's 320*240 I think, which is just what all 386 games from that time were.  Plus it has a 16-bit sound chip that has the potential (and capability) to play Mp3s and sound from DivX movies.

It can even play all of those Lucasarts adventure games like Day of the Tentacle (with speech), Monkey Island, etc.; check the "ScummVM" link on the right of the page for pictures...

Offline Scott_Irving

• ZFP Peace Corps
  • Ur-Quan Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2003, 06:38:40 am »
I was never able to get any of the Summ emus running, I want to play Fate of Atlantis on the ppc that would be great. As far as the dos emu goes it fully emulates the dos enviorment and creates virtual hardware compatible with the components on the ppc. So it's kinda like 286/386 emu and a dos emu all in one. At least the one I have is

Esn

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2003, 04:59:19 pm »
Really?
which emu do you have?

Offline Scott_Irving

• ZFP Peace Corps
  • Ur-Quan Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2003, 06:37:36 am »
For scumm, mainly pocket Scumm and for the dos emu, Pocket Dos heh

Offline Rider

• Ur-Quan Lord
    • View Profile
    • Cubicle Webcomic
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2003, 11:47:01 pm »
How about creating an own handheld that ONLY supports SC2 (like those tennis games you had about 10 years ago) It shouldn't be that hard...
You wish you had a signature like mine

Offline Niffiwan

• Deep Child
  • Huffi - Muffi - Guffi
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2003, 02:33:36 pm »
Ermm... *cough*

Actually, I think it would be damn hard.

To get an idea of exactly how much work and money you need to create your own handheld, visit http://www.classicgaming.com/vcsp/
It would be a LOT easier to port it to another handheld.  Speaking of which, do pda's even have a D-Pad/joystick(I don't own a pda)?
Cause if they don't, I'd probably consider porting PocketDOS to the GP32 a useful time-wasting activity... ;)
Hey, they use the same ARM processor, after all... shouldn't be much more than a few hours' work for an experienced programmer (no, that's not me :-[ ).  

Offline Scott_Irving

• ZFP Peace Corps
  • Ur-Quan Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2003, 04:07:41 pm »
Indeed it is very hard, extremeo hard, you can build a case but the actually hardware?
you need to be motherboard manufacturer or something...

Alot of the pda's do have a dpad type thing mine has a circle dpad for instance. Actually mine doesn't use the ARM processor either, mines a MIPS, now they all are Arm or the intel x-scale. But like i say with some tweaking could get the original SC2 running quite well in the PocketDos. Which is avaible to all of the cpu's.

Offline Fear

• Hunam
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2003, 01:35:50 pm »
It seems like having SCII on a PDA would be difficult to play because the screen is so small. In melee when the screen was all the way zoomed out the ships would be itty bitty. Has any other game with similar resolution been ported to a PDA?

Offline Scott_Irving

• ZFP Peace Corps
  • Ur-Quan Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2003, 04:00:59 pm »
doom? quake? they have both been ported even had quake2 once.. though i don't know about the resolution issue, but keep in mind the displays on most pda's are pretty high quality and it's quite suprising how much detail they can show.