Author Topic: Speed mods  (Read 6350 times)

Offline viperbob

• Hunam
    • View Profile
Speed mods
« on: February 22, 2010, 04:57:46 pm »
I'm wondering what are the "speed" modules that can make the ship go faster?  Before I outfit my cruiser to head to the stars, I want all the speed I can get this early in the game.  Those little black things that come along are extremely fast.  Thank goodness I saved the game before heading out into the stars.
Any help will be appreciated.  Boy you people know how to help us that have come before and just forgot.
VB
VB

Offline Lukipela

• ZFP Peace Corps
  • Ur-Quan Lord
  • The Ancient One
    • View Profile
Re: Speed mods
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2010, 09:25:00 pm »
You can buy thrusters to improve speed and turning jets to improve turning rate at the starbase. You need RU's for that though. But upgrading these to full as quickly as possible makes things a lot easier later on.
Round and round it goes, where it stops nobody knows

Offline Nuclear

• Ur-Quan Lord
  • "Da Da Da, Da Da, Da!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2010, 09:26:36 pm »
Those little red things you put on the very side of the ship are forward thrusters and the green ones are turning jets. If your looking for speed, add lots of the red ones.
Lever1: Hey, I want too push the button
Lever2: No! I want too!
Lever3: Stop whining you two!
Button: Hey Lever 3, can we switch jobs? I'm getting bored of pushing the button....
Lever3: Sweet!
Lever1/2: awww no fair!

Offline viperbob

• Hunam
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2010, 01:32:17 pm »
Hmm interesting, what one should I do before the other?  I think the thrusters should be first as those black things are always trying to get my butt.  But whatever you nice folks thinks I should.  Also when should I buy some guns.  The ship only comes with a couple of guns up forward (you like that navy talk - forward eh!).
thanks for you ongoing help.
VB
VB

Offline Lukipela

• ZFP Peace Corps
  • Ur-Quan Lord
  • The Ancient One
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2010, 02:00:14 pm »
I'd say go for speed first, but don't completely ignore the thrusters. Speed helps you outrun single enemies, but if the are coming from multiple directions you need thrusters. Here's  a helpful hint. Whichever way you're facing when you exit a star system is the way you'll end up pointing in HyperSpace. So if you plan ahead you won't have to waste time turning too much, just set yourself in whatever direction you'r going next. also, use the autopilot in HS, it saves you tons of fuel and time. but b ready to turn it off if enemies appear, since it doesn't notice them.

As for weapons, some people like to make their flagship into a battleship. In that case you need dynamos and enough crew pods to be able to take a beating, since losing the flag ship means game over. Once you get far enough you'll be able to wipe anyone off the map with your flagship, but in the beginning it can be quite tricky. I've always preferred to fight with my fleet. one of the first ships you get ca take out most enemies. But testing/practicing with different ships in SuperMelee is a good way to figure out what goes well against what.

To assist in fighting, you could also take a look at this guide that is unfortunately, incomplete. It mostly covers player versus player games, but the concepts in the beginning (pillboxing, flanking, gravity whip and so forth) are important in any battle.

Offline viperbob

• Hunam
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2010, 12:51:36 pm »
Lukipela, one of the great things about this game is you can re-start at anytime while your in the learning mode.  Just save over another save and your in the game again.  So i'll take your advice and go for the small "red" things first and the small "green" things next.  When you mineing the solr system you can only get so many RU's.  Knowing what to buy with them is very important.
Some say sell your gun, I don't think i'd do that.
Once again thanks for your help.  Nice to know someones is always there for ya in the early game.
VB
VB

Offline Draxas

• *Happy Camper*
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2010, 10:02:46 am »
Some say sell your gun, I don't think i'd do that.

I personally agree, since I hate having my flagship completely defenseless apart from my fleet (which is usually very small in the beginning). However, to improve coverage, I suggest moving it from slot 1 to slot 2. You may have to practice to aim on the angles just right, but it should help hitting targets while you're still trying to build up your turning.

Offline viperbob

• Hunam
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2010, 01:36:17 pm »
Another question please.  How do you activate the Portal Spawner?  I'm off to the Rainbow worlds and do some scaning and mining etc., but i've never activated this thing.
Draxas, nice to see someone who agrees with me.  I'm new playing "again" after 30 + years and i've a million of em, questions that is.
thanks all..........
VB
VB

Offline Lukipela

• ZFP Peace Corps
  • Ur-Quan Lord
  • The Ancient One
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2010, 01:44:54 pm »
I assume you've already gotten it then? When you choose "Devices" in the menu, you can scroll up and down the list of devices. Simply choose the portal spawner and hit the "Use" button. CTRL or Space or some such.

Offline viperbob

• Hunam
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2010, 04:20:38 pm »
Thanks Lukipela, i'm off to see the rainbow worlds.
You've been a super helper.
VB
VB