Author Topic: Project6014 - a mod and faux sequel to Star Control II  (Read 22757 times)

Offline Cedric6014

• *Happy Camper*
    • View Profile
Project6014 - a mod and faux sequel to Star Control II
« on: February 11, 2009, 09:02:13 pm »
Hi folks

I'm coordinating a mod of UQM (yes, yes I know you've heard it all before). I'd love to say "well dammit this time it's going to happen!" but I really can't. All I can do is plod along until it gets finished.

If I do it myself it will take 12,000 years to complete. But if I can get help from others, it's a different story.

This mod will take place after the conclusion of Star Control II. I have no illusions of this being the true sequel, but it can be played as one.

In short, here's the setting so far. I've moved the bottom left part of the old StarMap to the top right, and added new stars and constellations. So this means we retain these old races: Spathi, VUX, Earthling, Syreen, Ilwrath, Chmmr, Yehat, Orz, Shofixti. Also, we'll see appearances from Arilou, Melnorme and Slylanrdo. Sadly no Zoq-Fot-Pik, Druuge, Utwig, Mycon or Supox :(

The year is 2061, two years after the Sa-Matra is destroyed. Zelnick has settled on Unzervalt with Talana and has turned his energies to the study of Precursor technology. The Chmmr are busy eliminating the Kohr-Ah from this part of the galaxy. The Ur-Quan left of their own accord. Zelnick gets the call from the Chmmr to investigate a distress signal from a Shofixti scout referring to a precursor artefact at a distant star far south-west of Sol. The game begins with Zelnick in a flash new Chmmr Explorer vessel in an unknown star system ready to explore. I have a few clever plot ideas. I'd like to see the return of the Androsynth, the relationship with Orz take a nasty turn, and little surprises with the Kohr-Ah, Melnorme and Slylandro. Plus other stuff....

What we've achieved so far:
1)   A working remade StarMap with new constellations, planets, everything
2)   A new Chmmr Explorer flagship design
3)   Introductory dialogue for Chmmr, Melnorme, Yehat, Spathi, Shofixti

To achieve a playable introductory demo we require:
1)   Comm screens for: new Syreen Penetrator captains, Syreen Starbase Commander, Earthling cruiser captain
2)   New Chmmr flagship graphics to be implemented into code (under way)
3)   Introductory dialogue for Earthling Cruiser and Commander Hayes, Orz, Syreen, VUX

To finish the whole thing we need:
1)   Plot development
2)   Complete dialogue for all races, including 6-8 brand new races
3)   Comm screens for 6-8 brand new races plus new for Syreen and Earthling
4)   Ship designs for 4-6 brand new alien ships,
5)   Design for new modable precursor flagship

I'd love to hear from anyone interested in helping out. We especially need graphic artists and dialogue writers. Priority will be to complete the stuff required for the demo, but I'll be equally delighted to get people putting their hands up to design and write for new alien races, and how they might fit into a larger plot. At this time the coding side is all under control, however no doubt we’ll have some trickier stuff to implement later on, especially when I get carried away with all kinds of new features.

There are threads over at UQM discussing this if you want some more info. Otherwise I'm happy to answer any questions.

So if you are interested in helping out, post or send me a PM!

Happy times  :)

« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 12:56:30 am by Cedric6014 »

Offline Scott_Irving

• ZFP Peace Corps
  • Ur-Quan Lord
  • XR Webmaster / PNF Deputy
    • View Profile
    • XR: The Movie Project
Re: Project6014 - a mod and faux sequel to Star Control II
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2009, 10:29:28 pm »
as I said on uqm forum I'll try and be of some help with the graphics.

Offline Eth

• ZFP Peace Corps
  • Ur-Quan Lord
  • an animal on a stick!
    • View Profile
    • Famous Battles of the Ur-Quan Conflict
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2009, 01:34:54 am »
  Hmmm...  I'm thinking... dialogue.  Yes, I'll write the dialogue for one of the races.  Old or new; either is fine.  Just let me know when you're ready, and I'll take care of one of your race's C-Trees for you. 

BTW, is your avatar the new Chmmr Flagship?  Very nice!

Offline Zeracles

• Talking Pet
  • Icon of X
    • View Profile
    • Me
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2009, 04:38:29 am »
1)   A working remade StarMap with new constellations, planets, everything
I take it this is going to be the same every time. Have you considered generating new starmaps for each new game? It's possible to randomly generate constellations (complete with planets) and I could send you code for this. I might even translate it into C for you.

no doubt we’ll have some trickier stuff to implement later on, especially when I get carried away with all kinds of new features.
This is intriguing - new gameplay features? Or would you rather not say . . .

I think Nicholai tried a new kind of world in his mod, I think it would be at least as interesting to add things like black holes, nebulae, etc., and fold them into the plot. I could do some art for stuff like that.

Also, I do astronomical research so if there's anything in the plot or dialogue that calls for expert knowledge, I can check the facts and might be able to add a layer of polish.

We especially need graphic artists and dialogue writers.
I might be able to work on some dialogue.
Fear not the Arch Viles and Spectres of the Deepest Reaches, for the X is strong in this place.

In my next life I would like to be a pootworm. ANNIGILATE ME!

Offline Cedric6014

• *Happy Camper*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2009, 11:23:36 am »
Hey guys that's great.

Writing for a brand new alien race would be the most challenging as you'd effectively have to create new characteristics and mannerisms and a history. So I'm glad someone wants to do it!

I'll PM you both with some follow-up info.

About the StarMap, it is a fixed seed StarMap like the original. This mod will focus on story rather than replay value. I realise that this won't please everyone but oh well, it worked for the original. I prefer the idea of an actual existing universe.

I would like to add some new features like a new type of world a new bio. There will of course be new alien space craft. There will be one or two exciting changes to game play. I'll be drawing inspiration from Sc1 on ways to supplement your firepower.

Astronomical research eh? An interesting cosmic feature might be nice. Any interesting ideas on how that may it into a story? Also, you might be able to think of some better names for stars and constellations. I got down to very obscure Roman deities and ancient Greek astronomers. All the REAL constellations names were taken by SC2.

« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 12:57:07 am by Cedric6014 »

Offline Cedric6014

• *Happy Camper*
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2009, 02:57:42 pm »
as I said on uqm forum I'll try and be of some help with the graphics.

Would a Comm screen for earthling cruiser captains be within your powers/inclination? This is a priority task as its needed for a demo. Could be male or female

Offline chenjesuwizard

• *Happy Camper*
  • No
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2009, 09:28:55 am »
Sadly no Zoq-Fot-Pik, Druuge, Utwig, Mycon or Supox :(
NO! You can't remove races! Move them somewhere else.
Also, will one of the new races be an old extinct/unseen race (Gg, Chenjesu, Burvixise, Faz)
I'm watching you. I always do. I know your every step. Awake or asleep. I look into your dreams. I see all your emotions, your love, your sorrow, everything around you. I feel your pain and endure it. I can cast the magic of the worlds and destroy everything you see.
This is a burden, and a gift.

Offline Zeracles

• Talking Pet
  • Icon of X
    • View Profile
    • Me
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2009, 12:42:12 pm »
About the StarMap, it is a fixed seed StarMap like the original. This mod will focus on story rather than replay value. I realise that this won’t please everyone but oh well, it worked for the original. I prefer the idea of an actual existing universe.
Anyone who's really keen can mod your mod for a random starmap ;D
Fear not the Arch Viles and Spectres of the Deepest Reaches, for the X is strong in this place.

Offline Eth

• ZFP Peace Corps
  • Ur-Quan Lord
  • an animal on a stick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2009, 01:45:20 pm »
Pshaw!  Things need to change for a sequel.  I will miss the Mycon, personally, but I'd rather have new stuff than keep all of the old stuff. 

Offline Cedric6014

• *Happy Camper*
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2009, 03:33:17 pm »
Also, will one of the new races be an old extinct/unseen race (Gg, Chenjesu, Burvixise, Faz)

Remember ChenjesuWizard, this is not a definitive mod, its just a mod. You can't just keep adding new races otherwise it gets too unweildy. Who's to say the NEXT installment wont feature the other races.

I am interested in some races alluded to in SC2 like Taalo and Burvixes etc. More thinking will be done.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2009, 01:00:57 am by Cedric6014 »

Offline Cedric6014

• *Happy Camper*
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2009, 06:47:01 pm »
I think, for the sanity of everyone contributing to the story, I need to make a plot document and share it. So we're all singing off the same songsheet. I'll do that!

Offline Zeracles

• Talking Pet
  • Icon of X
    • View Profile
    • Me
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2009, 12:35:35 pm »
Pshaw!  Things need to change for a sequel.  I will miss the Mycon, personally, but I'd rather have new stuff than keep all of the old stuff. 
I'll just point out that if the starmap was enlarged rather than shifted, one could have new stuff and keep all the old stuff. But that's probably too hard.
Who's to say the NEXT installment wont feature the other races.
Ah, shifting the starmap coreward in project 6015 I see.

Offline Cedric6014

• *Happy Camper*
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2009, 10:03:41 pm »
I think, for the sanity of everyone contributing to the story, I need to make a plot document and share it. So we're all singing off the same songsheet. I'll do that!

Have completed a plot development document (2,900 words - phew). I look forward to contributions from folks to flesh it out.

I'll share relevent parts of it to people who want to write for certain races. But I won't share the whole thing with everyone. If everyone knows everything then noone will enjoy playing it.

Offline Eth

• ZFP Peace Corps
  • Ur-Quan Lord
  • an animal on a stick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2009, 09:36:52 am »
Hit me with the doc, baby!  I don't care if I get spoiled; I need a framework to hang my writing on!

Offline Son_of_Antares

• Hunam
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2009, 01:17:01 pm »
Hey Ced, I'm answering the call from the UQM forums - if you need plot/story/background/race design I'm your Antaran for the job 8) I have something race-wise already and I'm open for story hammering as you said, so bring it on. You lead the way, I'll follow and clean after  ;D