Author Topic: Star Control 4???  (Read 9494 times)

Offline Spark

• Hunam
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Star Control 4???
« on: February 21, 2003, 09:38:14 am »
I found this star control game '3'...and I loved it!
Here are my 2 questions:
Any chance of a fourth version?
Is star control 2 still around...anywhere I can download the game?

Offline Chad

• Evil One
  • Ur-Quan Lord
  • PNF Webmaster
    • View Profile
    • The Pages of Now and Forever
Re: Star Control 4???
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2003, 10:06:03 am »
SC2 is easily the best of the series...  ;D

You can download the re-release of it here...

http://sc2.sourceforge.net/

You should wait for version 0.2 though.  ;)

There is not a Star Control 4 (yet?)
"...Dogar And Kazon Clack Their Mandibles Against One Another And Snicker With Amusement."

Viropher

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2003, 07:54:11 am »
It would be interesting to hear the opinion of one coming to SC2 from SC3.

Offline ErekLich

• Ur-Quan Lord
  • One Ring to rule them all, eh you know the rest.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2003, 08:20:27 am »
Like me!

I think that SC3 is, in and of itself, a decent to good game.

Compared to UQM, however, it's crap.

Unfortunately, people can't seem to evaluate it on its own merits...
Oh God, please don't let me die today... tomorrow would be SO much better...

Offline Scott_Irving

• ZFP Peace Corps
  • Ur-Quan Lord
  • XR Webmaster / PNF Deputy
    • View Profile
    • XR: The Movie Project
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2003, 08:31:09 am »
So true, people look at the glorious SC2 and then the not so glorious SC3 and automatically compair the two.
SC3 is a pretty decent game on it's own. Obviously we all know SC2 is better. I personally played SC3 long before playing SC2, I bought it after the price dropped a fair bit, I quite enjoyed it. I then came across the first incarnation of PNF. I saw screenshots from SC3 and wondered why they looked better than the actual game I had running, I questioned Chad about that (remember??? hehe) don't remember what it turned out to be, my eyes or something lol. But I not long after played SC2 and found it was better, but thought SC3 was still pretty good and I still do. Heck I started all my friends on the SC3 melee, many of them actually prefered it over the SC2 melee.  :o - Hmm this could fit on first time stories to.. heh

Offline HappyHamster

• Hunam
  • The Space Hamster found on many planets in SC2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2003, 10:13:46 am »
A friend of mine played SC3, and then played the re-release when I told him about it...

He was stunned as to how much better it was, and, if I remember correctly, a little angry at the makers of SC3 for botching it :)
"You will soon die. Make whatever rituals are necessary for your species." - Ur-Quan Kohr-Ah
GameFAQS ID:  HappyHamster

Offline Solo4114

• Deep Child
  • Scoundrel...I like the sound of that...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2003, 01:18:58 am »
Those of us who came from SC2 to SC3 were REALLY disappointed, not only with the graphics, but also with the interface and the way the plot was butchered.

I can remember playing SC3 during my freshman year of college, finding it not as much fun as SC2 (I hated the way you traveled, and the colony management thing, as well as the UGLY DAMN ROBOT PUPPETS -- I'll never forgive them for making the Syreen look creepy).  But when you got to the end and found out the truth about things (not gonna spoil it here), it was shocking, disappointing, and really a slap in the face to those of us who were fans of the original game.  I'd been worried when I heard that FF and PR3 weren't going to be involved in the creation of the game, but I'd kept my hopes up, only to have them dashed to pieces on my SC3 jewel case.  

In terms of the original and highly entertaining story created by the original team, SC3 was a mockery.  But hey, I'm graduating from law school this year and I've spent most of my electives learning about intellectual property.  Maybe someday I can help FF and PR3 reclaim their lost game and release a WORTHY sequel.

Offline Niffiwan

• Deep Child
  • Huffi - Muffi - Guffi
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2003, 03:14:43 pm »
There was a rerelease of SC3?

Is the box that it comes in any different?  How do I know if I have the rereleased version or not?

Offline ErekLich

• Ur-Quan Lord
  • One Ring to rule them all, eh you know the rest.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2003, 04:04:03 pm »
I believe HappyHamster was referring to the UQM re-release (of course HH is the final judge of what he meant!  ;) ) AFAIK there has been no re-release of any kind of SC3.  The box I got it in shows a Harika on the front.
Oh God, please don't let me die today... tomorrow would be SO much better...

Offline Chad

• Evil One
  • Ur-Quan Lord
  • PNF Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2003, 05:56:27 am »
Technically, there were different packages of Star Control 3.

There was the "Star Control Trilogy" that had a sticker across the top of the SC3 box with a CD-ROM inside containing SC1 and SC2.

There was also "EA Classics" version of SC3, which I do not yet have  :-/

None of these contained different versions of SC3 though.
"...Dogar And Kazon Clack Their Mandibles Against One Another And Snicker With Amusement."

Offline Scott_Irving

• ZFP Peace Corps
  • Ur-Quan Lord
  • XR Webmaster / PNF Deputy
    • View Profile
    • XR: The Movie Project
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2003, 09:53:57 am »
Not that it matters, I think i have the original boxed edition either that or the "EA classics" is the original, id have to look to be sure heh.

Offline Chad

• Evil One
  • Ur-Quan Lord
  • PNF Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2003, 05:03:16 am »
Hey, if you have the EA Classics version, let me know  ;)

Its a smaller box (almost size of today's modern boxes) and has a gold colored strip along the bottom that say s "EA Classics".  Something like that...

Offline Eth

• ZFP Peace Corps
  • Ur-Quan Lord
  • an animal on a stick!
    • View Profile
    • Famous Battles of the Ur-Quan Conflict
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2003, 12:07:13 pm »
  Now Chad, don't you have a copy of the aborted sequel to SC3?  Care to tell us anything about that?

Offline Rider

• Ur-Quan Lord
    • View Profile
    • Cubicle Webcomic
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2003, 04:51:57 am »
I don't know if I'm off subject, since I didn't have the time to read ALL the posts. So here we go.

Star control 4... I see it now, the dreams are hereby put to (digital) paper and shall dissolve.

I see a small planet, Earth. We zoom in closer to find a glorius civilization. The Syreen and the Earthlings have reproduced into 1 'super-species' other species have returned from other galaxy's and are also here, together with newly explored 'sister' species (remember the sofixty and the yehat? that's a sister species)

Then a dark shadow is cast over the galaxy, 3 tremendous ships hover over the largest civilezations sending an unknown message to all the species.

Knowing the threat of galaxy-wide extermination, the species join up to form a strong alliance. 1 of the 3 ships breaks up into a million smaller ships. The ships strike the Alliance hard, but knowing what COULD happen if they don't cooperate all the species of the Alliance join together in a giant battle against the unknown intruder.

Here's your story, now make it a game. I've been thinking of melee without that pesky planet in the middle of each arena, Melee over the surface of a planet, and maybe a separate mode wich allows you to repeat battles from the 1st person perspective... and ofcourse all the ships from the SC1 and SC2 games in 1 game, and a giant evil armada added.

Now there's a cocktail I'd like to taste

Update - boy was I off topic.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2003, 09:05:34 pm by Rider »
You wish you had a signature like mine

Offline tingkagol

• Hunam
  • Yep. This is a little booger.
    • View Profile
    • Urbandub Online v2
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2003, 06:38:52 pm »
Those of us who came from SC2 to SC3 were REALLY disappointed, not only with the graphics, but also with the interface and the way the plot was butchered.

same here. i first played sc2 6-7 years ago, and got to play it again a year ago, after I downloaded the game from the net.
I only got to play sc3 also a year ago, after I got my hands on the CD. I really thought it sucked arse.