Author Topic: Star Control Collection  (Read 4933 times)

Offline Raziel

• Hunam
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Star Control Collection
« on: February 20, 2003, 09:22:07 pm »
HI, I just got the Star Control Collection, its the one with Star con1 and Star Con2 on one CD. Now when I try to play this game my screen goes black but i can hear the music playing. I have Windows XP, please any help will be much appriciated. Also the game never really asks me to install it into the computer when I first  put the CD in like most new games do, it just plays off the CD. Is this a factor to maybe why it doesnt work right. Please help.

Offline ErekLich

• Ur-Quan Lord
  • One Ring to rule them all, eh you know the rest.
    • View Profile
Re: Star Control Collection
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2003, 01:22:01 am »
See my thread on Starcon1/DOSBox woes for how to get it to work on XP.

Also, you can copy the files yourself to get it on your harddrive.
Oh God, please don't let me die today... tomorrow would be SO much better...

Offline Chad

• Evil One
  • Ur-Quan Lord
  • PNF Webmaster
    • View Profile
    • The Pages of Now and Forever
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2003, 01:29:36 am »
Welcome Raziel!

The Star Control Collection might as well be as old as Star Control itself.  Although it was on a CD, it was even before Windows autostart and all that.

Do you know how to use DOS?  As ErekLich said, you can copy the entire "starcon" and "starcon2" directories to your harddrive from the CD (you can do this in Windows).  You'll have to then make the files writeable again.  Read this in the FAQ for how to do that...

http://www.classicgaming.com/starcontrol/faq/#28

My suggestion is to copy the files to your harddrive and then use DOSBox to get the games running with sound (the sound does NOT work in just regular old XP)

Until I make a page just for DosBox, here is the FAQ about setting up DosBox

http://www.classicgaming.com/starcontrol/faq/#59

With version 0.2 of Ur-Quan Master Re-Release almost out, you might just want to wait for that if you are trying to play Star Control 2 and this is too difficult to figure out.  If you are trying to play SC1, the above is the only route you have.  
"...Dogar And Kazon Clack Their Mandibles Against One Another And Snicker With Amusement."

Offline Raziel

• Hunam
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2003, 06:41:01 am »
Okay thanks for the help guys, Ill get right on the info you guys gave me and try to play this awesome game.

Thanks

Offline Lukipela

• ZFP Peace Corps
  • Ur-Quan Lord
  • The Ancient One
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2003, 07:54:50 am »
Just rememebr to copy the entire CD with the patch, or you'll have to spend some time reading through the Starmap. I don't think that the Code wheel for SC1 is even included in that, is it?
Round and round it goes, where it stops nobody knows

Offline ErekLich

• Ur-Quan Lord
  • One Ring to rule them all, eh you know the rest.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2003, 07:57:32 am »
The code wheel is not included, but if you use the .com file and not the .exe it shouldn't ask you for a code.
Oh God, please don't let me die today... tomorrow would be SO much better...

Offline Raziel

• Hunam
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2003, 08:39:13 am »
Thanks again guys for the help, I can get  Star Con 1 to run its a little slow but its still great to play and im haveing trouble gettng Star Con 2 working but I think i can work it out. Thanks

Also Chad you said that the version 0.2 of Ur-Quan Master is going to be realeased soon. Wil this site have any news when its acutally realeased and how to get it?

Offline Chad

• Evil One
  • Ur-Quan Lord
  • PNF Webmaster
    • View Profile
    • The Pages of Now and Forever
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2003, 12:22:43 am »
Also Chad you said that the version 0.2 of Ur-Quan Master is going to be realeased soon. Wil this site have any news when its acutally realeased and how to get it?

Heh, OF COURSE  ;)
"...Dogar And Kazon Clack Their Mandibles Against One Another And Snicker With Amusement."